Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Virtumonde and doubleclick issues.

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Elrond » October 31st, 2007, 3:24 am

The scan was clean. From what I can see this computer is clean.

By doing this you will remove some of the stuff that we downloaded.

Go to Start > Run - type in ComboFix /u & click OK.

Now for some more stuff that is good procedure to do after a cleanu when you have been infected.

Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
Press Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close

Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
Next click Start->Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
Ensure the boxes for Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
Press OK and Yes to confirm.

Clean out Temporary Files etc. Download System Security Suite from http://www.igorshpak.net/software/3ssetup104.zip. Extract it from the zip file into a folder and double click on sss.exe. Please check the following check-boxes under the Items to Clear tab:
  1. Under Internet Explorer
    • History
    • Temporary Files
  2. Under My Computer
    • Recycle Bin
    • Run (Menu)
    • Search History
    • Temporary Files
Next click 'Clear Selected Items'. Reboot when prompted. It is a good idea to do this every few weeks as a lot of junk collects there over time.

Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

Operating system vulnerabilities can easily be exploited by malware so please ensure your operating system is automatically kept up to date by using Windows Update:
Go to Start->Control Panel->Automatic Updates
Select Automatic and select a suitable schedule
Also, check that your antivirus and antispyware programs are set to automatically update daily.

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.

Get that Norton replaced sooner than later but never have two Antivirus or Firewalls active at the same time. Results are completely unpredictable but normally means trouble.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

other programs

Unread postby Shanman » October 31st, 2007, 12:10 pm

Hi Elrond,

I am normally very conscience of copyright laws. (MP3's and programs) But i had a lapse with my frustration on the other computer. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Why don't new computers come with software discs anymore?
Just curious... I like to be able to reformat my old computers when I am limiting their use. (storage only, or old laptop into a picture frame) Right now i have 5 computers and due to my error on the other one that you are helping me with only one of them have Operating System discs. The only discs i have are Win 98 (the one i'm turning into a picture frame)......is there any way for me to reformat when I want to limit the use of my newer computers?

Also there is the following list of software that i installed during the fixup of this computer. Can/should they be removed?

SpyBot
HiJack This
Ad Aware
TrojanHunter
AVG Antispyware

Thanks again.
Shanman

Unread postby Elrond » November 1st, 2007, 1:19 pm

The only one I would remove is HijackThis which can be removed through Add / Remove Programs.
The other programs are useful parts of your defences. If there is anyone Iwould remove of them it would be AdAware.
AVG AntiSpyware will not work as a real time protection after the 30 days trial runs out but it is worth while to run it once every two weeks as a check and also to remove nondesirable cookies.

Are the old computers Win XP machines or are they something else?
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Old Machines

Unread postby Shanman » November 1st, 2007, 1:41 pm

The one is Win 98 the rest are XP. Two new HP laptops one for me and one for my wife, 2 xp desktops, one good OS (gateway) and one bad (one you started helping me with) and an old Lapptop that is the Win 98.

Come to think of it I also have an old win 98 desktop that is in my junk pile as well...... maybe i'll use that as my p2p machine, and put utorrent on it. See if it still works.

Thanks for your help.
Shanman

Unread postby Elrond » November 2nd, 2007, 8:10 am

The reason I asked is that I had hoped to find some smart way of getting you licences and disks in a cheap but legal way but I can not come up with anything.

I have been looking atMicrosofts site to try to find some way for you to get a OS disk but there seems to be no way to do it easily.

As I said i belive that the only way to handle this problem is to contact the makers of the computers and see if they can help you. :(

Sorry but I have run up against a stone wall.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

persistance

Unread postby Shanman » November 2nd, 2007, 12:13 pm

Thanks for your persistance. It is much appreciated. I have a work trip coming up, but maybe when I get back I will start a new thread with your name in title. It would be for my wife's laptop.

Thanks again.
Shanman

Unread postby askey127 » November 10th, 2007, 2:30 pm