Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

iexplore.exe multiple instances

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby six-h » October 3rd, 2007, 2:08 pm

beynac,
I've just run Windows search for iexplore.exe, and it now finds 12 entries!
Similar search for Deckard scanner.exe finds none! :oops:

six-h[/img]
six-h
Banned Member

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby beynac » October 3rd, 2007, 2:32 pm

The executable for Deckards scanner is dss.exe.

What is the twelfth iexplore file that Windows search finds? Is it iexplore.exe.mui in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US folder?

I'm not sure what this is but I think that it is a Multilingual User Interface which gives support for multiple interface languages.

Please let me know if this is the file in question.
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby six-h » October 3rd, 2007, 2:55 pm

Beynac,

The executable for Deckards scanner is dss.exe.

Its gone then!
What is the twelfth iexplore file that Windows search finds? Is it iexplore.exe.mui in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US folder?

You must be psychic; Yes it is!
Not being pedantic, but it is the 4th on the list, and has the same install time and date as the ie update,"KB931768-IE7"

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby beynac » October 3rd, 2007, 3:05 pm

It's a valid file. I meant that FileFind listed eleven and this was the twelfth. :lol:

The Deckards executable (dss.exe) should not have been in the Backup folder. If you want to use the scanner, I suggest that you just download it again from here.
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby six-h » October 3rd, 2007, 3:42 pm

OK, beynac,
I've downloaded dss.exe to my desktop. (Not that I'd use it without guidance from above!)
Would you leave it there, or file it in C:\Program Files?

Should I delete the folderC:\ Deckard, which only contains the three textfiles associated with the deleted copy? Since I suspect future use of the new dss.exe will create its own backup folder?

It's a valid file. I meant that FileFind listed eleven and this was the twelfth.

Oh! sorry, I didn't count the FileFind entries, so it's legit then! :roll:

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby beynac » October 3rd, 2007, 4:24 pm

I suggest that you move dss.exe into the folder: C:\Deckard. The program will create a new backup folder when it is run.

Oh! sorry, I didn't count the FileFind entries, so it's legit then!

Yes - it's legit. I have the same file on my computer. :)

Have you got any other questions?
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby six-h » October 3rd, 2007, 4:35 pm

OK beynac,
so to sum up, I'm clean, and the problem with iexplore.exe was most likely an oddity not the result of malware.
final question, what made you think that my windows firewall was swithched off?
(apart from how did you enjoy your holiday? - I seem to have the same kind of luck with the weather, but not so spectacular!) :roll:

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby beynac » October 3rd, 2007, 4:54 pm

so to sum up, I'm clean, and the problem with iexplore.exe was most likely an oddity not the result of malware.

Yes. I think that the IE problem was just that it hadn't shut down all open instances properly. The windows had been closed but the program was still running. Hard to say for certain exactly what happened.

what made you think that my windows firewall was swithched off?

You can't tell whether it's running from the HijackThis log. It's safest to ask if we can't see a third-party firewall running. A Deckard's scan would have shown it though! :)

apart from how did you enjoy your holiday?

Thanks for asking. We had a lot of rain, but it didn't stop us doing anything. Most of our walks were in the dry. It seemed to rain overnight and when we were in the pub! It all seems a long time ago now. We've been to Italy since then and had much better weather. :D
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby six-h » October 3rd, 2007, 5:08 pm

Well beynac,
Glad to see that the old maxim "It doesn't rain in pubs" is still reliable!!
Main thing is that you enjoyed it!
I'm off to Palma for a few days soon, looking forward to reading some books I've been hoarding!! :D

I've put FileFind in C:\ Programes, is it OK there?

If you bump into katana, let him know that I'm seriously thinking I might apply to the University when I return, but I still feel that it is probably beyond my capabilities! :roll:

Thanks again for your help and advice.

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby beynac » October 3rd, 2007, 5:21 pm

You're welcome. :)

I've put FileFind in C:\ Programes, is it OK there?

Yes, that's fine.

If you bump into katana, let him know that I'm seriously thinking I might apply to the University when I return, but I still feel that it is probably beyond my capabilities!

You won't know unless you try. The main thing is commitment and having the spare time to be able do it.

Have a good holiday! :)
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby askey127 » October 17th, 2007, 9:49 am

Glad we could be of assistance.