i got the final piece to solving the problem ... another chap was having an identical problem after cleaning out smitfraud ... i tried it and my desktop is now fully functional !!
thanks for all your help on this problem .
here is what i recieved :
I had the same problem after getting rid of smitfraud.c. I found a fix for it from another site. hope it works for you.....
Here's how to fix this issue:
1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:
Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options
5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe.
These keys are pointing to files that have been removed (virus/spyware); explorer32dbg.exe and iexplore_dbg.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely (note: the "dbg" files only !) . They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.