Hello Sakura...welcome to Malware Removal!
I am not aware that any particular program opens .ref files...I know that Ad-Aware uses that extension though:
It appears there are many programs that use that file extension. I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you may be trying to open the .ref file before installing the Ad-aware program? I'm really not sure...
If you would like for me to see if I can help you with your malware problem, why don't we try this first:
Please do this:
to download HJTsetup.exe
- Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
- Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop
- By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This
- Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
- Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again. Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
- At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
- Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
- Click on Edit>Select All; then click on Edit>Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
- Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
- DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.