Below are tips to keep your computer clean and secure:
Windows, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office Updates
Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site frequently. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
If you are running Microsoft Office, or any application of it, go to the Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed.
If you have trouble with Windows Update, you still can get all the Critical Updates, Security Fixes and Service Packs. Below are a few links to bookmark.
Microsoft Security Bulletins
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/offic ... fault.aspx
Make your Internet Explorer more secure
Use an AntiVirus Software
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click on the Security tab
- Click the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click on Default Level and click Ok
- Click on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- Internet Explorer 7 users : Check all other items and make sure that they meet the (recommended) setting when applies.
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See the link below for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs.
Computer Safety On line - Anti-Virus
Update your Anti Virus Software
It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
Use a Firewall
I can not stress enough how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For an article on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below.
Computer Safety On line - Software Firewalls
A tutorial on Understanding and Using Firewalls
can be found here