Good news - all those accounts are now clean. - Well done.
below is my normal post as an all clean message.
I have not yet got round to updating it for this web forum - so the links should be pointing to the Public Library here now - so you will find all the info from this link http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15
You already have spybot - I would recommend that you install the teatimer option in that - and check it in each of the user accounts. Winpatrol is an alternative that you might prefer. Dont use both - overkill !
To do the setting up you will probably need to change the status of the users accounts to admin, do the updates to the programs for them, then change back to limited user. When needing updates to things like the AV and spybot/ad-aware etc you will need to do that in your admin account, not in the limited users ones - BUT they will automatically use the new files after you get them updated.
The way I use this at my church, the users use the limited accounts, I once a week do all the security updates in the admin account. Also any installs are done by me - temperary changing the users status if required.
This is my normal post for when you are clear - which you now are - or seem to be. Please advise of any problems you still have :-
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
- Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.
You can find instructions on how to enable and re enable system restore here:-
Managing Windows Millennium System Restore
Windows XP System Restore Guide
re-enable system restore with instructions from tutorial above
- Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
- Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See this link for a listing of some on line & their stand-alone anti virus programs:
Computer Safety On line - Anti-Virus
- Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
- Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For an article on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
Computer Safety On line - Software Firewalls
- Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
- Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
- Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software in conjunction with Spybot. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
- Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A article on anti-malware products with links for this program and others can be found here:
Computer Safety on line - Anti-Malware
- Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
May your God go with you..