Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Internet Problems

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Gary R » November 14th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Hi Ken,

The two AVG programmes are 2 seperate programmes. One is AVG Anti-Spyware (Ewido) which we installed for the fix, the other is AVG Anti-Virus, which is being used as the computer's Anti-Virus protection. Although there is some overlap in function, they provide different protection to each other, and both should be kept.

To update AdAware manually do the following.

• Click on AdAware to launch the programme.
  • Click on the "Globe" icon at the top of the AdAware window.
  • Click on "Connect".
  • If there are new definitions a window will pop up, click OK.
  • AdAware will download and install these updates automatically.

Now to the the logs.

Log onto the Dad's account.

Run a scan with HJT under that account, and check the following entry.

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.h ... YYYYYYYYGB

Now close all open windows and click Fix Checked to remove it.

Log onto Mum's account.

Run a scan with HJT and check the following items.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50245
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

Now close all open windows and click Fix Checked to remove them.

Delete the following folder (if found).

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch

These are just orphaned entries, but best to get rid of them. Let me know if you have problems deleting the folder.

OK, presuming there are no difficulties, we can set about securing the computer.

THESE STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Lets reset system restore
Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected. Please note you need Administrator Access to clean the restore points.
  • Turn off System Restore.
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Check Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Reboot.
  • Turn ON System Restore.
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
  • NOTE: only do this ONCE, NOTon a regular basis
We need to re-hide system files.

To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Double-click My Computer.
  • Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Put a check by "Hide file extensions for known file types."
  • Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Do not show hidden files and folders."
  • Check "Hide protected operating system files."

Updating Windows and Internet Explorer

IMPORTANT: You need to update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from the malware that is around on the Internet. Please go to the windows update site to get the critical updates.

If you're running Microsoft Office, or any portion thereof, go to Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed. (Free at Microsoft Office Update).

Make your Internet Explorer more secure

• From within Internet Explorer click on Tools > Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level.
  • Make sure these options are set as follows:

• Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
The following are free programs that are designed to keep your computer clean. A brief description is included with each item, click on name to go to download site.

• Adaware SE Personal
    Adaware is a free program. It scans for known spyware on your computer. These scans should be run at least once every two weeks. For more information, see this tutorial
  • Spybot S & D
    Spybot is a scanner like Adaware. It scans for spyware and other malicious programs. It is important to have both Adaware and Spybot on your computer because each program provides unique detection and protection measures. Spybot has preventitive tools that stop programs from even installing on your computer.
    To see how to set this up as well as more spybot features, see here
  • SpywareBlaster
    Spyware blaster is a program that stops known malicious activex controls from installing on your computer. It works by changing settings in your registry. It makes "kill bits" in the registry, so that certain activex controls can't install.
    If you don't know what activex controls are, see here
  • IE Spyad
    It puts many bad webpages on your restricted zones LIST. This means that you can still view the "bad" webpages, but the webpages can't do certain things (such as use javascripts and cookies). Use IE Spyad for single account computers, and IE Spyad 2 for multi account computers.
  • Hosts file:
    • Every version of windows has a hosts file as part of them.
    • In a very basic sense, they are used to locate webpages.
    • We can customize a hosts file so that it blocks certain webpages.
    • However, it can slow down certain computers.
    • This is why using a hosts file is optional!!
    • Make sure you read the instructions on how to install the hosts file, here.
  • If you decide to download the hosts file, the slowdown problems can usually be avoided by following these steps:

• Click the start button (at the lower left hand corner of your screen)
    • Click run
    • In the dialog box, type services.msc
    • hit enter, then locate dns client
    • Highlight it, then double-click it.
    • On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
    • Click ok
  • Use an Anti Virus Software - It's very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See this link for a LISTing of some, on line & their stand-alone anti virus programs:
    Computer Safety On line - LIST of free Anti virus programs
  • Use a Firewall - I cannot stress enough how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For more info, check this webpage out.
    See here to choose one.
  • Site Advisor This is a utility that can be downloaded and installed. It loads an icon to the taskbar of your browser (versions for IE and Firefox), indicating the trustworthiness of the site you are on. Green for safe, Red for suspicious. Click on the icon to access details that SiteAdvisor has about the site.

Just a final reminder for you.
  • UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! Make sure you do this about every 1-2 weeks.
  • Run Spybot and Adaware regularly. (Once a week minimum)
  • It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure you always have the latest security updates installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Once again, please post and tell me how things are going with the computer... problems etc.

Gary R

PS. Nice to see you've enrolled at MRU, have fun and good luck with your studies.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Cameraken » November 15th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Hi Gary.

That all went very smoothly.
Repaired Mom and Dads HJT’s
Deleted MyWebSearch
Cleaned out System Restore
Hid the system files
And added some of your suggestions

I worded my question about Adaware badly.
Adaware is installed on the Laptop but because it’s on a broadband modem I cannot connect it to the Internet.
My question should have been
Can I download Adawares new pattern to my PC and transfer it to this laptop Via CDRW.
It’s Ok if I can’t, I will update it when I return it, and I think it’s ready to go back now.

Thanks again for all your help.
With a bit of luck I may be able to repair these on my own soon. Sure is interesting Stuff.

Ken.
Cameraken

Unread postby Gary R » November 15th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Never actually tried updating it that way, I really don't know if it's possible.

Now you're a Freshman, try asking in the 02 room, maybe one of the other members has tried it.

With a bit of luck I may be able to repair these on my own soon. Sure is interesting Stuff.

I've every confidence you will, and yes it can be very interesting. Just be careful to pace yourself, it takes a surprising amount of time to get your head round everything here.

Ask lots of questions, the teachers here are a bone idle lot and need the extra work. :D

Joking aside, questions are highly encouraged here, and there's nearly always someone who's willing to help with any problems you might encounter.

Good luck with your training, glad I could help.

Gary

EDIT: Had a look inside the help files for AdAware and found this for updating manually.

Confirm installation by looking at Initialisation status on main status screen.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby markkhunt » November 17th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Glad we could be of assistance.