Now that you're clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
1.) Re-Hide System Files and Folders:
- Click Start
- Open My Computer
- Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
- Select the View tab
- Deselect the Show hidden files and folders option
- Select the Hide protected operating system files option
- Click Yes to confirm
- Click OK
We need to do this to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)
- Click Start Â» Run Â» ( type: SYSDM.CPL ) Â» OK
- Click the System Restore tab.
- Check - Turn off System Restore.
- Click Apply.
- Uncheck - Turn off System Restore.
- Click OK.
- Go to Start Â» All Programs Â» Accessories Â» System Tools, and select System Restore
- In the System Restore prompt, select: Create a restore point
- Click Next
- Give a description to the new Restore Point. (Something like: Clean PC)
- Click Create
- Then close the window
Please take your time reading on this list, it is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
- Windows Updates (a must!) - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this, open Internet Explorer, then and select Tools Â» Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
- Spybot Search & Destroy- Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
- AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
- SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
- SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
- IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
- Firewall (a must!) - It is definitely a must have. Two good free versions are Kerio and ZoneAlarm.
- Anti-Virus (a must!) - It is also a must have. Two good programs are Avast and AVG, they're both free.
Note: You must only use 1 (one) AV because if you have 2 AVs, it will conflict with each other and will only make your system slow.