Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

MS Virtual PC and Kerio

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

MS Virtual PC and Kerio

Unread postby hillbillycj » July 25th, 2006, 8:19 am

Hi All

Downloaded and installed MS Virtual PC 2004 SP1, and then went about installing virtual pc's of DOS 6, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME and Windows 2000 Professional. All virtual PC's created without a hitch (I'm just playing with it for now). My parent OS is Windows 2000. Installed Kerio not too long ago onto the parent OS. After creating the Virtual PC's I then went about doing all available updates using the Windows update site. Win98 and ME updated without a hitch. Win2K on the other hand...

From within the virtual PC

IE 6 went to the web site, gave me the option of "Express" or "Custom" updates, and then just sat there. Timed out after approx 30 minutes.

Tried again the next day, opened 2k up in the virtual pc, and shut down Kerio in the Parent OS. Boom! Updated with no problem. Generally Kerio will ask you if you want to set a rule. I got no such warning. I know this is a configuration issue.. has anyone played with this and can give guidance as to how to configure Kerio to allow the virtual PC unrestricted access to the internet.

HJC
hillbillycj

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Nexus7 » July 25th, 2006, 8:50 am

Not sure if you mean the pre-Sunbelt Kerio or Sunbelt-Kerio

Sunbelt-Kerio has a "Gateway Mode" which can be enabled to allow for VPCs/VM's to access the Internet (by default, all their outgoing packets are dropped). As for old Kerio...no clue. May not have something similar...
Nexus7

Unread postby hillbillycj » July 25th, 2006, 9:07 am

Hey Nexus..

I am using Sunbelt Kerio 4.5. I switched from ZA Pro 6.5 (the 722 buggy version) on the parent

Anyway.. Inside the VM...
The outbound packets, no problem, and I got no problem getting to the update site. No problem observed with the "updated software check" to use the site. Got presented with the "Express" or "Custom" buttons.
Only after the "Custom" button was clicked on and the display changed to a white screen with a box and green moving dots did it just sit there and sit there.

Outside the VM, shut down Kerio and the problem went away.

I was just playing with it quickly last night. Have not really had a chance to investigate deeper than a quick look really.

Thanks for the info... Nothing like a little RTFM to refresh the soul :D

HCJ
hillbillycj

Unread postby Nexus7 » July 25th, 2006, 10:12 am

With Sunbelt-Kerio (I don't have it in front of me right now, unfortunately), there's an "Advanced" option to enable Gateway Mode. Enable that, and the firewall will continue protecting your main connection while removing its restrictions on the VPC's packets.
Nexus7

Unread postby hillbillycj » July 25th, 2006, 10:56 am

Got it! :D

Hey thanks Nexus... I'm at the Salt Mine right now, but I'll look when I get to the Home QTH.

Oh and I meant version 4.3 if all you Kerio users out there are rushing to see if there is an upgrade available :oops:

I lifted this out of the User Guide...

Before you define a rule exception for a server, consider carefully whether the server is trustworthy
or not, and the types of objects (scripts, cookies, private data) that are required for smooth
functionality. The Exception tab includes one predefined rule. This rule allows automatic Microsoft
updates and allows updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Works for the Parent OS. Seems to block the VM's OS, which would make sense if Kerio is treating the VM as a part of the network :roll:

Thanks again...:thumbright:

HCJ
hillbillycj

Unread postby ChrisRLG » July 25th, 2006, 11:24 am

Moving this to the VPC room
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » July 25th, 2006, 4:07 pm

I have Kerio 2.1.5 running on the host system with no problems. Not your version of Kerio, but thought I'd mention it.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby hillbillycj » July 25th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Thanks Nick, and Nexus7,

Have Zilch experience with the earlier version of Kerio, however now I have got to the house, found and made the change that Nexus7 suggested, I can tell you that the problem is solved.

The switch is actually labelled :

Enable Gateway Mode. Gateway mode should be enabled when this computer is used for internet connection sharing

Now to infect the system with some nasties, sit back and watch :D :D

Thanks again Nexus :thumbright:

HCJ
hillbillycj

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)