Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Interceptor Location Cox

Do you have BIOS questions or issues? Want to discuss Linux or other non-Microsoft operating systems? Ask your computer related questions that don't quite fit in any other sub-forum here.

Interceptor Location Cox

Unread postby gunnut666 » November 5th, 2012, 12:19 pm

I use cox as my ISP. Lately, more and more often, after I've logged in and go to another page within the site, I get redirected to this unsecure page where I have to enter my zip code before I can continue.
This is extremely irritating as well as appearing to be a security issue.
Has anyone else been bothered enough by this to find a solution ?
I am using XP SP3 and Firefox v 16x with some adblocking addons.

Thanks
Dave

edit:
I see that I wasn't very clear. I mean, when I log in to the cox.net site to check email or pay the bill.
gunnut666

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Interceptor Location Cox

Unread postby daveyb » November 6th, 2012, 3:44 am

I use Cox also, and they are a royal pain for this kind of thing. There is a cure though!

The problem is that Cox uses "cross-site-scripting" which the firefox addon noscript doesn't like. Why Cox do this is beyond me, its all the same site, but the solution I have found is to go to Cox.net and find something to log into, such as paying the bill, then allow cox.net in noscript, then login to cox.com with the same user/pass - I think the email application would work for this, and allow cox.com. This would save the two sets of cookies on your computer, and eliminate that annoying zipcode screen!

Another thing you can try is adding the cox sites to the noscript exception list (options => advanced => XSS), where you would need to create a regex filter to allow cox.net and cox.com to cross script. I'd recommend enforcing the HTTPS if you do this though, just for safety!

Hope that helps!

Dave
daveyb

Unread postby gunnut666 » November 6th, 2012, 6:54 am

Thanks Daveyb, that sounds like the right track, but I'm not using noscript at this time. The extensions I'm using are: addblock plus 2.1.2, better privacy 1.68, no redirect 1.3.2.13, plus what's built into firefox. I've looked through the options available in these extensions, but I don't see anything that will do what you describe.
gunnut666

Unread postby daveyb » November 6th, 2012, 7:00 am

Then setting cookies for both sites should resolve your problem - you just need to find an opportunity to "login" on each of the sites!
daveyb

Unread postby gunnut666 » November 6th, 2012, 7:26 am

Sorry, no, still not.
Could it have anything to do with IPv4 vs IPv6 ? I know my cable modem does not support IPv6.
gunnut666

Unread postby daveyb » November 7th, 2012, 3:20 am

My old cable modem was not Docsis compliant either but it worked for me. Checking my settings for the cox sites ...

Under noscript options, general tab, I enabled "Allow sites opened through bookmarks. Under the whitelist tab, I added cox.com, cox.net and coxbusiness.com. Under the Advanced tab, I have an entry for cox as an exception. If you are familiar with regex, then it is a simple matter to copy the default google entry and adapt it. One such string would be:
Code: Select all
/^(?:http)s?\:\/\/.*?\.cox\.com\/|net\/.*/i

Regex meaning:
Match a string which starts with the string http
followed by the character 's' 0 or 1 times
followed by the string '://'
followed by any character any number of times until next group
followed by the string '.cox.'
followed by the string 'com/' or the string 'net/'
followed by any character any number of times

As it is, this will match both: http://www.cox.com/ as well as https://idm.east.cox.net/ 
although you would probably need to play with it a bit. Note that the trailing slash is required which prevents someone from spoofing a site such as cox.com.mysite.com to try to get around the regex.

One other thing you could look at, at the top right on the website, there is an option to set your location, which should write the data into a site cookie and save you all the hassle :)

If that doesn't work, contact Cox tech support on the numbers provided on the site and they should be able to help you out.

Hope that helps!

Dave
daveyb

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Other Computer Issues