Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Craigslist Phishing Scam

Notifications for Security Updates, as well as News and Information from across the web - mostly security minded.

Update Contributors: Members of the Malware Removal University.

Regular Members: Our Regular Members are invited to start and/or participate in all other topics. Join in and share the news that's important to you.

Craigslist Phishing Scam

Unread postby wildman424 » August 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Scam Alert

I'm putting out an all bulletins alert here folks this email may look "official" but look a little closer its definitely not. This is a phishing scam, These shameful scamming xxxxxxxx are at it again trying to steal some unsuspecting saps Craigslist credentials, but this time they tried to scam the mark and I caught em red handed. Like a lot of people I use Craigslist for there free online classifieds but believe my surprise when I received an email telling me my account had been suspended. I didn't even look the email over real well as it was early in the morning and I had yet to have my first cup of coffee, I glanced at it and scratched my head and asked myself why, then I launched my web browser to do some investigating.I went to Craigslist official site craigslist.org to contact there admin to resolve the problem and found myself really surprised when I logged in without a hitch, checked my ads they were still on the boards so I went back to that email and took a closer look discovering embedded links hiding the real origin and destination of these impostors. If I had not known better and followed them links without checking I would of had some serious problems.After checking it out and discovering it to be a fake I contacted Craigslist and alerted them to this scandalous impostor.
Lesson to be learned here folks yea there is, never follow a link in an email until you've checked it out thoroughly no matter how "official" it may look or you might end up getting burned

the email is printed below and I killed the links:

Craigslist​.org

xxxxCraigslist.orgxxxx
xxxxhelp@craigsliste.orgxxxx

From: xxxxCraigslist.orgxxxx (xxxxhelp@craigsliste.orgxxxx)
Sent: Fri 8/27/10 11:11 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx

Craigslist - Important Message - Read Carefully!

Your Craiglist account is temporarily suspended.

*Essentially you posted the same item to multiple cities or categories, or more than once in 48 hours .

*Your post contains a link or URL to a commercial website or auction.

*Your ad appears to contain a phone #, email address, or URL .

Therefore, if you are the rightful account holder, click on the link below to log into your account for verification..

xxxx://accounts.craigslist.org/

Account Status: ON HOLD

To remove your listing limitation follow the link above, or click the button below..

Remove limitations

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to permanently suspend your account. .

Thank You.

notice were the link is that looks like an official craigslist page and the link -Remove limitations- is in the body of this message there was this dubious looking link embedded (hidden) link in the message Do Not Go To IT its posted here just to expose these frauds:
xxxx://host86-150-11-126.range86-150.bt ... verify.htm

also notice the address of emails origin (xxxxhelp@craigsliste.orgxxxx) is a typo-squatter of craigslist real domain name craigslist.org

edit: the email address links should be dead and do nothing more that open up your email client for you to send a message

--------------------
Wildman424 Freshman
Wise Man once say "Ambition without knowledge is like boat on dry land"
Last edited by wildman424 on September 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildman424

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Craigslist Phishing Scam

Unread postby wildman424 » August 28th, 2010, 7:21 pm

bump
wildman424

Return to News Desk