Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Anti-Virus Software

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Re: Anti-Virus Software

Unread postby joelj1964 » June 27th, 2010, 10:09 am

The bottom line is this. No anti-virus software has a 100% detection rate. For this reason you need added protection. This does not, however, mean you should have two anti-virus software. It means you should have a solid anti-virus which has real-time shields, a good malware scanner such as Malwarebytes, a browser that doesn't resemble swiss cheese (IE and it's security holes), the proper add ons like MyWOT, AdBlockPlus, BetterPrivacy and a properly configured router to include enabled mac filtering and hidden wireless network (if using wireless access, disabled if not). Even with all this, there is no guarantee of no infections. For this reason regular scans are a prerequisite to keeping your machine clean. What anti-virus you choose is up to you of course and I am more and more convinced every day that the reviews by commercial testers are not as accurate as one would hope. The best reviews in my opinion are user generated. Remember though, the user is always the best preventer of infections.

Regards,
Joel
joelj1964
Banned Member

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Haider » July 21st, 2010, 7:42 am

Hello All: Since this thread isn't closed, my question piezo how could you be so sure that they get infected using Internet?

It could be a USB/Other Removable drive - Do they have Autorun Disabled (using MS-KB-967715 for Win XP/2000)
Are they completely patched (I use Secunia PSI)
Haider

Unread postby Sludge3000 » July 21st, 2010, 1:46 pm

Hello Haider,

each of these PC's was infected with a ton of adware
Generally adware doesn't propagate through USB drives or CD's as if there is no internet connection there is not much point presenting adverts to the user as they won't be able to click a link to download/pay for whatever is advertised.

Do they have Autorun Disabled
While this will stop most current USB propagating worms you should have a read of This Thread in the news room, regarding a newly discovered vulnerability in Windows to which there is not yet a patch.
Sludge3000

Unread postby Haider » July 22nd, 2010, 12:53 am

Hi Sludge3000: Thanks for the info, there are other ways to deal with such kind of threats - Using limited user account while on Internet in conjunction with properly configured Software Restriction Policy

By the way there is a temporary workaround available for Microsoft Security Advisory (2286198)
Haider

Unread postby tequesta » July 22nd, 2010, 1:51 am

If you want to protect your usb's from autoruns check out this simple trick from Odd dude.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29496&p=506934&hilit=+ubuntu+#p506934
tequesta

Unread postby Gary R » July 22nd, 2010, 2:51 am

tequesta wrote:If you want to protect your usb's from autoruns check out this simple trick from Odd dude.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29496&p=506934&hilit=+ubuntu+#p506934

That post will not be visible to any Member who is not a student of the University.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Sludge3000 » July 22nd, 2010, 3:51 am

Haider wrote:Using limited user account while on Internet in conjunction with properly configured Software Restriction Policy
Indeed this is so but many home users may have no idea on how to setup software policies and find lower privlege accounts an inconvenience, plus with XP defaulting to administrator accounts many people who don't understand computers are perfectly happy as it lets them do anything they want(which is what a computer should do in many peoples eyes). In a corporate environment this is much easier to enforce.

Haider wrote:By the way there is a temporary workaround available for Microsoft Security Advisory (2286198)

There certainly is and I believe it is linked to in the thread in the news room which can be found Here. I will add a link to the Microsoft 'Fix It' which is also now available.
Sludge3000

Unread postby Haider » July 22nd, 2010, 4:01 am

Gary R wrote:
tequesta wrote:That post will not be visible to any Member who is not a student of the University.

So sad, I am not yet a student, however, I do expect to be accepted as my application is pending approval. Hopefully one day I would

I have a fully patched Windows XP Professional SP3 system (i.e. MS-KB967715 applied and I know that too is vulnerable). All my USB's have a blank Autorun.inf (read-only text files) residing inside a read-only folder Autorun.inf, hopefully it is going to prevent this kind of infection to some extent!
Haider

Unread postby Haider » July 22nd, 2010, 4:04 am

Sludge3000 wrote:Indeed this is so but many home users may have no idea on how to setup software policies and find lower privlege accounts an inconvenience...

To me it means - what we need to do is educate end-users, besides a continued battle with these criminals
Haider

Unread postby Sludge3000 » July 22nd, 2010, 5:13 am

Haider wrote:what we need to do is educate end-users
Indeed that is one of the objectives of MRU, to educate users regarding computer security. Best of luck with your application and hope to see you in the student area soon.
Sludge3000

Unread postby Haider » July 22nd, 2010, 5:29 am

sludge3000: Thank you so much
Haider

Unread postby HALPME » July 22nd, 2010, 5:16 pm

piezo wrote:So what is the consensus? With the exception of MalwareBytes, which was very effective in removing all the garbage, are ANY of these other virus protection apps worthwhile?

The most worthwhile is

1) Firewall (or removing all listening services so your ports are closed) (and by firewall I don't mean "outbound" protection, just a good packet filter)
2) Limited user account

Not much magic there. It's a formula other operating systems besides Windows have been using since their inception and windows has recently jumped on the bandwagon. Look at their infection rates through areas other than compromised listening services and tell me their model doesn't work.
HALPME

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to General Discussions