Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

infected with trojan tooso.f. how bad is that?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » April 20th, 2005, 9:04 am

Ok... only other thing I can think of is a Silent Runner or RootKit. So I need you to run a couple more tools.

Download RootKitRevealer. Extract the files to their own folder. Double click Rootrevealer.exe to run the program. Press the scan button. This is a fairly in depth scan, so it will take a while.

Once it is done. Save the log and copy/paste the contents into a reply. Because the log can be very large, please edit out items in C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT if there, and C:\System Volume Information, before posting.

Do the same with Silent Runners

Thanks.
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ren » April 21st, 2005, 4:38 am

Sorry, my husband made me take the day off. I disconnected LAN all day. Everything is set up differently on my computer now, and these guys are making themselves right at home. I keep my folders unhidden, does that mean they show up ghosty looking? Every third file now is ghosty looking. I can recognize the way it's taking over my programs like SpySweeper. I see the legitimate files, and I see a fishy one. Then I delete the fishy one. I exit the folder. As soon as I return, it's back.

I could go on forever. I ran two root scans. The first one only picked up two discrepencies. (Hard for me to believe when I see them all over the place) The second scan I did after I turned the cable back on. I wanted to see if it would pick up more that way. It picked up nothing. That's how every other program bit the dust. It's like going up against a legion of invisible attackers armed with a pocket gun that's only got a single shot.

Can you help me get my firewall back up? And are you out of ideas because you're out of ideas, or because you know it's hopeless?

The reason I ask is that there was a guy named Rollin Rog on Tech Support Guy who was helping me for awhile before I did sys. recovery who told me to report suspicious stuff to him. The problem was, I always felt like a maniac, because everything that looks suspicious to me looks normal to an outsider without relevent context. I just never know what that is. I don't know what I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Should I ask him, or does it get convoluted that way; too many cooks in the kitchen and all that?

Here are your logs.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ren\Recent\setupapi.log.lnk 4/20/2005 1:39 AM 529 bytes Visible in Windows API, directory index, but not in MFT.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{FFE1BE3A-FD74-478E-B9DD-2C75818B9C74}\RP49\A0006633.lnk 4/20/2005 2:08 AM 392 bytes Visible in directory index, but not Windows API or MFT.

"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 35, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"

Startup items buried in registry:
---------------------------------

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"MSMSGS" = ""C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background" [MS]
"ctfmon.exe" = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe" [MS]

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"IgfxTray" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe" ["Intel Corporation"]
"HotKeysCmds" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe" ["Intel Corporation"]
"SoundMan" = "SOUNDMAN.EXE" ["Realtek Semiconductor Corp."]
"PRONoMgr.exe" = "c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe" ["Intel(R) Corporation"]
"RealTray" = "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER" ["RealNetworks, Inc."]
"InCD" = "C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe" ["Ahead Software AG"]
"NeroCheck" = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe" ["Ahead Software Gmbh"]
"gcasServ" = ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"" [MS]
"KernelFaultCheck" = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep 0 -k" [MS]
"QuickTime Task" = ""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime" [file not found]
"TrojanScanner" = "C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe" ["Simply Super Software"]
"ccApp" = ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor" = "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" ["Symantec Corporation"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\(Default) = "AcroIEHlprObj Class" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll" ["Adobe Systems Incorporated"]
{BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872}\(Default) = "NAV Helper"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll" ["Symantec Corporation"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}" = "Display Panning CPL Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "deskpan.dll" [file not found]
"{88895560-9AA2-1069-930E-00AA0030EBC8}" = "HyperTerminal Icon Ext"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hticons.dll" ["Hilgraeve, Inc."]
"{4621934C-FFED-4d4f-8146-290D6B7289BC}" = "AOL"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\aolshare\shell\ca\shellext.dll" ["America Online, Inc."]
"{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}" = "Microsoft Office HTML Icon Handler"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\msohev.dll" [MS]
"{950FF917-7A57-46BC-8017-59D9BF474000}" = "Shell Extension for CDRW"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\incdshx.dll" ["Ahead Software, Karlsbad, Germany"]
"{52B87208-9CCF-42C9-B88E-069281105805}" = "Trojan Remover Shell Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\TROJAN~1\Trshlex.dll" ["Simply Super Software"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\
INFECTION WARNING! "{9EF34FF2-3396-4527-9D27-04C8C1C67806}" = "GIANT AntiSpyware Service Hook"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\shellextension.dll" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
INFECTION WARNING! igfxcui\DLLName = "igfxsrvc.dll" ["Intel Corporation"]

Enabled Screen Saver:
---------------------

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"SCRNSAVE.EXE" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\scrnsave.scr" [MS]

Enabled Wallpaper and Active Desktop:
-------------------------------------

Active Desktop is disabled.

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\Documents and Settings\Ren\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp"

Startup items in "Ren" & "All Users" startup folders:
-----------------------------------------------------

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
"Adobe Reader Speed Launch" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe" ["Adobe Systems Incorporated"]
"AOL 7.0 Tray Icon" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\AOL 7.0\aoltray.exe -check" ["America Online, Inc."]
"Microsoft Office" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE -b -l" [MS]
"Shortcut to MDGnotify" -> shortcut to: "C:\WINDOWS\MDG\MDGnotify.exe" ["MDG Computers Inc"]

Enabled Scheduled Tasks:
------------------------

"Norton AntiVirus - Scan my computer - Ren" -> launches: "C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\Navw32.exe /task:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\Tasks\mycomp.sca"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
"Symantec NetDetect" -> launches: "C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\NDETECT.EXE" ["Symantec Corporation"]

Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
-------------------------------

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000002\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\winrnr.dll" [MS]
000000000003\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
0000000000##\PackedCatalogItem (contains) DLL [Company Name], (at) ## range:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll [MS], 01 - 03, 06 - 13
%SystemRoot%\system32\rsvpsp.dll [MS], 04 - 05

Toolbars, Explorer Bars, Extensions:
------------------------------------

Toolbars

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\
"{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}"
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "Norton AntiVirus"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll" ["Symantec Corporation"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\
"{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6}"
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "Norton AntiVirus"

Explorer Bars

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\
{FE54FA40-D68C-11D2-98FA-00C0F0318AFE}\
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "Real.com"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll" [MS]

Extensions (To1:36 AM 21/04/2005ols menu items, main toolbar menu buttons)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\
{CD67F990-D8E9-11D2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE}\
"ButtonText" = "Real.com"

{FB5F1910-F110-11D2-BB9E-00C04F795683}\
"ButtonText" = "Messenger"
"MenuText" = "Windows Messenger"
"Exec" = "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" [MS]

Running Services (Display Name, Service Name, Path {Service DLL}):
------------------------------------------------------------------

InCD File System Service, InCDsrv, "C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe" ["AHEAD Software"]
LexBce Server, LexBceS, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE" ["Lexmark International, Inc."]
Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service, navapsvc, ""C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service, NPFMntor, ""C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
Symantec Core LC, Symantec Core LC, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe" ["Symantec Corporation"]
Symantec Event Manager, ccEvtMgr, ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
Symantec Network Drivers Service, SNDSrvc, ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
Symantec Settings Manager, ccSetMgr, ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
Symantec SPBBCSvc, SPBBCSvc, ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe"" ["Symantec Corporation"]
WAN Miniport (ATW) Service, WANMiniportService, ""C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe"" ["America Online, Inc."]

----------
This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.
----------
ren

Unread postby ren » April 21st, 2005, 5:14 am

That run-whatever logfile I just sent (the second one) might be tampered with. It was such a short scan, and I couldn't figure it out, so it ended up doing a bunch at once. Just now, after posting, I ran my cursor over the files, you know how it's supposed to show the time, date, size, etc.? The digits flashed around for a split second before settling. It looked almost like a slot machine, but just for a split second. I checked all the other ones, and it seemed weird that some were 8 bits and one was only 2. The times seemed off too. When I double checked they'd changed again, (time, and size) and the digits kept doing the flickering thing. I don't know if that means the contents might be altered, or what. It's still doing it every time I check one of those files.

But I do have an important question about that, because it's how I've been able to identify the bad files so far. Can that basic file discription info be messed around with? Yes or No? And the firewall. Is it fixable? Thanks.
ren

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » April 21st, 2005, 3:30 pm

Hi ren.

I keep my folders unhidden, does that mean they show up ghosty looking? Every third file now is ghosty looking.

Yes. That is the way they will appear if unhidden.

Can you help me get my firewall back up?

Visit here for instructions on turning the Windows Firewall on.

That's how every other program bit the dust. It's like going up against a legion of invisible attackers armed with a pocket gun that's only got a single shot.

There is nothing visible or invisible infecting your computer ren. The last two scans I had you do are designed for just that purpose. They detect files that are hidden from the Windows API and, as such, are undetectable by regular scans. There is nothing in your logs that point to any kind of infection. Your system is clean.

With that said, it is possible when you did the restore, something went wonky. Also, I would advise you NOT to go through your system deleting files just because they seem "fishy". You are probably doing more harm than good in doing that. As you do things with/on a computer, Windows creates files, modifies files, etc. Some files have some strange names. It is quite possible you been deleting valid files. If you are not 100% positive a file is bad... DO NOT DELETE IT!!!

If you wish, you can download Belarc Advisor. It is a scanner that will return results on your system configuration and may indicate what is going on with your computer. Post the log in a reply and I'll see if I can find anything.

But as I said... as far as infections go... your machine is clean of anything visible and invisible.
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby ChrisRLG » May 10th, 2005, 6:45 pm

Whilst we appreciate that you may be busy, it has been 14 days or more since we heard from you.

Infections can change and fresh instructions will now need to be given. This topic is now closed, if you still require assistance then please start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum

If you wish this topic reopened, please send us an email to 'admin at malwareremoval.com' with a link to your thread.

You can help support this site from this link :
Donations For Malware Removal

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid,
working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used.
If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous