Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Please review my anti Malware setup

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Please review my anti Malware setup

Unread postby gsmith2885 » July 8th, 2010, 1:45 pm

I have avast for my anti virus and zone alarm for my firewall. I also just downloaded mvps HOSTS file which I had never heard of before. I added adblocker plus to Firefox which actual blocks the add for kapersky and malwarebytes from this site. Maybe it was spyware warrior that had those adds I cant remember now. I also have a Router Firewall set up. Is there anything else I should add?
gsmith2885

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Please review my anti Malware setup

Unread postby Sludge3000 » July 8th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Hello gsmith2885,

I haven't tried adblocker for firefox but I do run the No-Script add on which helps to stop various cookies from ending up on your machine as well as other hidden scripts running. It is available to download from Here. Their website can be found Here.

I would also highly recommend WinPatrol from BillP Studios. You can get both a free and paid for version. This tool can be used to investigate what's running on your machine as well as various issue you may come across. Bill's website can be found Here

Sludge3000

Edit: Almost forgot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I find this most useful as a free on demand scanner to run every now and again just to check if my AV missed anything. It can be downloaded from their website Here

Apart from that, you have good foundations of a layered security system which will help protect you against threats online. But remember, not all protection is 100% effective.
Sludge3000

Unread postby gsmith2885 » July 8th, 2010, 5:56 pm

I actually for got to mention malware bytes and win patrol. I have both. I will check out the No Script add on thanks for the advice.
gsmith2885

Unread postby Sludge3000 » July 8th, 2010, 6:12 pm

gsmith2885 wrote:thanks for the advice.

You're welcome :)
Sludge3000

Unread postby Haider » July 21st, 2010, 7:27 am

Sorry for jumping in - as a rule of thumb try as much as you can "use limited user account while on Internet"
Haider

Unread postby thesctt » September 23rd, 2010, 7:43 pm

I know i'm new hear but what about:
SAS
Sandboxie
thesctt

Unread postby Gary R » September 24th, 2010, 1:28 am

As a rule of thumb, try not to have 2 security programs on your computer that do the same job. They don't add any extra security and they may conflict with each other and cause problems.

If you already have MBAM, I would therefore not recommend you install SAS as well. The only thing that the free version of SAS would add that the free version of MBAM doesn't have is RTP (real time protection), but IMO that is offset by the better detection and removal facilities of MBAM.

Sandboxing is an effective technique if it is set up correctly by someone who understands it, but IMO it leads many people into having a false idea of their own security, and many people using sandboxing programs feel they can surf without a firewall or AV. This is wrong on a number of levels, and all I'll say is if you want to add a sandbox to your defences that's fine, but don't think it means you don't need your other defensive programs.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby askey127 » September 24th, 2010, 6:55 am

To follow up on that note, at least make certain your ZoneAlarm does not have a built-in Antivirus. That would not play well with Avast.
In addition, with Zone Alarm being partnered with ask.com, the ZA toolbar may give misleading advice or redirects.
As of right now, in my opinion, the Online Armor free firewall is better. It's here : http://www.online-armor.com/downloads.php

It's a subject of discussion whether a separate firewall is necessary or whether the Windows firewall is adequate for stationary desktop systems behind a NAT router.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions