Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

E-Mails sent through Yahoo! with Suspicious Links

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: E-Mails sent through Yahoo! with Suspicious Links

Unread postby gridironguru » June 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I shut down the laptop that we are working on...and am at my work desktop.

May I uninstall Spyware Doctor. I was planning to use AVAST in the future anyway. I've heard its a solid program.
Any thoughts?

IF you give the go ahead I'll uninstall Spyware Doctor this weekend and finish up.

Thank you for your help.
gridironguru

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Cypher » June 18th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Hi gridironguru.
May I uninstall Spyware Doctor. I was planning to use AVAST in the future anyway. I've heard its a solid program.
Any thoughts?
If you wish to uninstall Spyware Doctor by all means go ahead and do so.
Avast is a good AV in my opinion i use it myself but i can recommend any of the ones below.
Please post the results of the online scan when ready.

Installing a new AV product

Do NOT unistall any existing anti-virus product yet!
  • Download the new Anti-virus product to your computer.
  • Save any work. Close all applications, especially your Internet connection.
  • Uninstall any existing anti-virus product... Use the AV uninstall option if available.
  • Reboot your computer, if not done during the uninstall.
  • Install the new AV product... following installation instructions.
  • Check for updates to the new AV product, if not done during install setup.
  • Run a full scan of your computer.
It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time.
Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts.

Recommended Anti-virus

Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Cypher » June 20th, 2010, 10:13 am

Hi do you still need help?
If i do not hear from you within the next 24 hours this topic will be closed.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby gridironguru » June 20th, 2010, 11:34 am

I'm going to have to try again...but may not get to it today.
gridironguru

Unread postby Cypher » June 20th, 2010, 11:56 am

Please post the results of the online scan within the next 48hours.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby gridironguru » June 21st, 2010, 4:04 am

Had troouble disabling Spyware Doctor...will try again...
gridironguru

Unread postby Cypher » June 21st, 2010, 4:21 am

Hi gridironguru.
Had troouble disabling Spyware Doctor...will try again...

It is likely Spyware Doctor that is interfering with the online scan so uninstall it.
The Free Anti-virus applications i provided links to in my previous post are better in my opinion anyway.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby gridironguru » June 23rd, 2010, 11:36 am

Sorry, for the delay...I had intended to work on this earlier...I will skip my story...I will make this a priority til its done.

Spyware Doctor is now uninstalled. I have been getting a "Windows Security" alert that my firewall is down ...click balloon for a few weeks...I received the balloon again.

I'm running ESET scan and its downloading right now.
Last edited by gridironguru on June 23rd, 2010, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gridironguru

Unread postby Cypher » June 23rd, 2010, 11:50 am

Hi gridironguru.
I have been waiting the results of the online scan for five days now.
Please post this log within the next 24 hours or i will have no choice but to have this topic closed.

Thank you.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby gridironguru » June 23rd, 2010, 2:50 pm

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:47:10 AM, on 6/23/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17055)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\hnm_svc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\NetWaiting\netWaiting.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=del ... bd=0061229
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - c:\program files\real\realplayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.4.4525.1752\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ModemOnHold] C:\Program Files\NetWaiting\netWaiting.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {493ACF15-5CD9-4474-82A6-91670C3DD66E} (LinkedIn ContactFinderControl) - http://www.linkedin.com/cab/LinkedInCon ... ontrol.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... 6787540328
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopManager.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Advanced Networking Service (hnmsvc) - SingleClick Systems - C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\hnm_svc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
End of file - 8222 bytes

I scanned with ESET but saw no way to put log on notepad.

The results were 0 infections
73404 files scanned...and it took 51:08 minutes to finish.

Will not be back on line til about 5pm PST or later tonight...have meetings scheduled.
gridironguru

Unread postby Cypher » June 23rd, 2010, 3:01 pm

Hi gridironguru.
Your latest set of logs appear to be clean! :)
This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

OTC

Download OTC by Old Timer and save it to your Desktop. This tool will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.

• Double-click OTC.exe
  • Click the CleanUp! button
  • Select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? Prompt appears
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

You can now delete any tools we used if they remain on your Desktop.

Create a new, clean System Restore point

• Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
  • Press Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >>System Tools >> System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close
  • Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
  • Next click Start >> Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
  • Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
  • Press OK and Yes to confirm

Protection Programs
Don't forget to re-enable any protection programs we disabled during your fix.

Now we needed to deal with security vulnerabilities

Install internet explorer 8

You can find information and install IE 8 from Here

Update Firefox

• Your version of Firefox is outdated.
  • In the Firefox browser click Help > Check for updates to install the latest version.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

I recommend you keep Malwarebytes Anti-malware, keep it updated and run it once a week.

Install SiteAdvisor
SiteAdvisor is a toolbar for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox which alerts you if you're about to enter a potentially dangerous website.
You can find more information and download it from Here

Install WinPatrol
As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.
For more information, please visit HERE

MVPS Hosts

Install MVPS Hosts File From Here
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
You can Find the Tutorial HERE

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
F-secure Health Check

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer
You can do that HERE

Read some information HERE On how to prevent Malware

Is your pc running slow?
Read What to do if your Computer is running slowly

I would be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Safe surfing!
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby gridironguru » June 23rd, 2010, 8:54 pm

I have read the post. I am running a Kaspersky Lab scan that I will post...and then follow the instructions that you have laid out to keep my computer safe providing Kaspersky shows no infections. I have removed Spyware Doctor and attempted to put in AVAST 5 Home Edition...it seemed to download but no icon was created.

I'm still concerned that some type of Phishing may be going on since there were e-mails sent from Yahoo! to contacts in my Yahoo! list...
In my previous experience with this site I was removing a Zhelatin Virus, Trojan worm and possibly a Varicela virus. My computer has periodically told me that my firewall may not be up. I have avoided clicking on the balloon that is provided since I believe that my original problem occurred when I went to a site, and a shield claiming to be Windows came up...warning me of a potential virus...I clicked on it...and I became infected...and foolishly paid to "have it removed" by what was supposedly a Windows security site...but now I believe were the people who initially infected me.

Thank you for your assistance. I will post again once I have finished following the rest of your instructions or if Kaspersky comes up with Infections to be logged.
gridironguru

Unread postby Cypher » June 24th, 2010, 5:26 am

Hi Kaspersky.
As i said all you're latest logs have come back clean.
But by all means post the Kaspersky log when ready :)
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby gridironguru » June 24th, 2010, 10:08 am

Last night I tried many times to access this site and could not. I believe my connection was weak. I failed to run Kaspersky on 3 occassions...and finally downloaded AVAST on to my computer.. Finally, I ran Kaspersky again and it ran clean, but said some files could not be accessed. (I had not disabled AVAST). Also, I could not access the log. I ran AVAST, it showed clean too.
I will do your final steps. I must leave again for work soon, but will do what I can.

I spent5 hours trying to do these steps last night...but my connection was poor, and I had difficulty ...Kaspersky was disconnected 3 times deep into the scan.
gridironguru

Unread postby Cypher » June 24th, 2010, 10:33 am

Hi gridironguru.
As i have said you're logs are clean there is no sign of infection on you're system at all.
The scans we have ran are in depth, i can assure you if there was anything bad on you're system we would of found it.
As you have just installed Avast run a full scan and let me know if it finds anything.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext