Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Is Linux Safe?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Is Linux Safe?

Unread postby Nottageek » May 11th, 2010, 10:41 pm

I am being helped here for an infection.

I suspect my passwords and other info might have been compromised.
There is a government web site that I need to sign on to that requires I give my Social Security Number. For those not living in the USA it is a critical number that someone can use to steal your identity, among other things.

I have a Linux bootable CD. (Ubuntu) I could also download it to an available partition on my HDD. Not yet formatted.
If I boot from the CD can the infection on my computer still record my keystrokes?
If I create a Linux partition is it safe?
I really need to get on the website, and getting to a computer that I trust to be clean isn't as easy as it seems.

Any input would be appreciated, meanwhile I would like to thank those that work to remove these infections especially xixo_12 who is kind enough to help me.
Nottageek

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Is Linux Safe?

Unread postby PegasusNY » May 12th, 2010, 3:11 am

Yes, Linux is safe. The infections on your computer will only be active if Windows is running. While you are running the Ubuntu Live CD you are safe from any keyloggers so you are quite safe to log into the government website and to change your passwords at the other sites that may have been compromised by the infections that run in Windows.
Hope that helps.
PegasusNY

Unread postby Nottageek » May 12th, 2010, 9:01 am

It helps a LOT thank you. :D
Nottageek

Unread postby PegasusNY » May 12th, 2010, 5:59 pm

You're welcome. :D
PegasusNY

Unread postby xixo_12 » May 15th, 2010, 11:37 pm