Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

WINDOWS Directory is over 60Gig (& slow start-up/performce,)

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: WINDOWS Directory is over 60Gig (& slow start-up/performce,)

Unread postby Jack&Jill » January 21st, 2010, 8:37 am

Hello Ravenous :),

Can you explain how you did it? What was taking up all that space?
Glad it is sorted out :). Failed updates caused the piling up of orphaned installer files. The command I asked you to run simply clear them off as orphaned ones are of no use. Are you still having the update problem?

I don't know whether this may be relevant, but just out of sheer desperation I decided to try and open a pre-exiting MS Word document, and guess what ... MS Office Word opened up. I did this for an Excel document and Excel opened up. They still don't appear on the Desktop, or from "Start, All Programs", but they appear to be functioning when invoked by way of an exiting "*.doc" or "*.xls" file.

Also, I noticed that my Windows Live Mail Desktop icon keeps changing from it's normal display format to the "plain-jane" standard non-de-script Windows icon.

Is any of the above pertinent to our original problem with the Windows directory?
These are caused by the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. As I did mention earlier, the programs are still there, only the shortcuts and access from the Start Menu are not available. The icon was also removed in the process. A repair install (using Method 2 in the link I provided earlier) or reinstall with the disk you have will fix MS Office or you can manually do it, but it will need some knowledge on how to create the links to the Start Menu and do shortcuts. I suggest you do the former.

I was intending to substitute McAfee for Trend Micro; would you recommend this? Do you have any other suggestions (I noticed that you have a section on "Recommended software")? What do you use?
I will make some recommendations later when we are sure you no longer have any more problems.

Again, thank you so much for solving this problem, for your patience with me, and for the many new tools and helpful websites that you have introduced me to.
:thumbup: You are welcome. Any more problems?
Jack&Jill
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Ravenous » January 22nd, 2010, 4:12 am

G'day Jack&Jill,

Again, thank you very much for your help, and for explaining what was going on with the space problem - "failed updates". I have not up till now, and since the last set of instructions you gave me, witnessed any further failed updates (not sure whether that's because they have completed successfully, or because none have come through to be applied). Should we wait a few days before categorically signing this off as "fixed"? I guess the space problem certainly has been sorted, it's just whether or not any (future) updates are going to start failing again. What do you think Jack&Jill?

I discussed the MS Office problem with a friend and she said she knew how to fix the links to the "Start" menu and re-create the shortcuts, so I thought I would enlist her help - is that OK with you?

Yep, happy to wait until you give me the "all clear", before going ahead with possible suggestions you may have for software for my laptop.

Take it easy Jack&Jill ;) .

Ravenous
Ravenous

Unread postby Jack&Jill » January 22nd, 2010, 9:13 am

Should we wait a few days before categorically signing this off as "fixed"? I guess the space problem certainly has been sorted, it's just whether or not any (future) updates are going to start failing again. What do you think Jack&Jill?
You will need more than a few days. You can visit one of these sites if the update problem still persists:
What The Tech
Bleeping Computer
Tech Support Forum

These forums have Tech staff that deals with such problems.

I discussed the MS Office problem with a friend and she said she knew how to fix the links to the "Start" menu and re-create the shortcuts, so I thought I would enlist her help - is that OK with you?
That is fine with me. Someone working in front of the computer will be faster and more effective.

Congratulations, you are All Clear to go. Glad to hear everything is good and running :). If you have any more problems, please let me know.

Now we need to clear out the programs we have been using to clean up your computer. They are not suitable for general malware removal and could cause damage if used inappropriately.
  • Run OTL by double clicking on OTL.exe. Click on CleanUp at the upper right corner, proceed to reboot if prompted.
  • Delete the CKScanner file on your desktop.
  • Delete any logs on the desktop.
  • Uninstall HijackThis
    • Open HijackThis.
    • Go to Open the Misc Tools section by clicking on the box.
    • Scroll down until the bottom and under the Uninstall HijackThis section, click on Uninstall HijackThis & exit button.
    • Click Yes if prompted.

Some tips to help you stay clean and safe:

1. Keep your Windows up to date. Enable Automatic Updates to always update the latest security patches from Microsoft, or you can download from the Microsoft website. Otherwise, your computer will be vulnerable to new exploits or malwares.

2. Purge System Restore. A recovery feature will only be useful if it is clean from malwares. See Windows XP System Restore Guide for some detail explanations.

3. Update your Antivirus program regularly, it is a must for constant protection against viruses. If you do not have one, Avast and Avira are some great and free antivirus programs that you can try. For paid versions, Avast, ESET NOD32 and Kaspersky are some good options. Please keep only one AV installed.

4. Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware if you haven't and use it occasionally. It is a new and powerful anti-malware tool, totally free but for real-time protection you will have to pay a small one-time fee.

5. Install WinPatrol, a great protection program that helps you monitor for unwanted files or applications.

6. Install SiteHound or Web of Trust (WOT). SiteHound and WOT keeps you from dangerous websites with warnings and blockings. Please choose one only.

7. Protect your computer from removable or USB drive infections with Panda USB Vaccine, an effective method to prevent malware from spreading.

8. Keep all your softwares updated. Visit Secunia Software Inspector to find out if any updates required.

9. If you have been a victim of malware before, Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!

10. Also look up How to prevent malware: By miekiemoes and So how did I get infected in the first place? By Tony Klein.

Stay safe.
Jack&Jill
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Ravenous » January 23rd, 2010, 10:47 pm

G'day Jack&Jill :) ,

I have completed all the "uninstall" steps as directed.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. I have decided to go with the following:

ESET, Malwarebytes, Winpatrol, and Sitehound. What do you think?

I have made a note of the websites suggested by as support for any future "update" problems - thanks.

Well, I guess that's it, so thanks very much Jack&Jill, you did a great thing for me and I really appreciate it.

I hope you are well and happy.

Take it easy Jack&Jill,

Ravevous
Ravenous

Unread postby Jack&Jill » January 23rd, 2010, 10:56 pm

You are welcome.

ESET, Malwarebytes, Winpatrol, and Sitehound. What do you think?
Perhaps you should choose WOT as SiteHound is being rewritten. The rest are good choices / combinations.

I hope you are well and happy.
Thank you and same to you.

Safe surfing and take care.
Jack&Jill
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby jmw3 » January 24th, 2010, 9:48 pm

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous