Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Question concerning slow loading...

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Question concerning slow loading...

Unread postby Edward » September 21st, 2009, 9:16 pm

I have a laptop that is used primarily by my wife. She uses Firefox for surfing but the problem she's experiencing seems to be based on a particular site and not the browser. This problem does not exist on the desktop... { my computer }

When opening Firefox, she has a number of tabs loaded as her home page. Only Facebook seems to give her any problem. While loading, it will frequently timeout and she will have to reload. This is true even when opening only the Facebook from favorites without the other tabs.

Our laptop uses our wireless router for connecting.

I have tried all the recommendations found on this site with regards to 'slow' computers.

If anyone has a suggestion, other than not trying to open Facebook, I would appreciate the help. So far, I have:

1. deleted all cookies { although I did eat the chocolate chip cookies }
2. deleted all programs that are not necessary or being used { my wife likes to download games and then not use them }
3. installed WinPatrol { I kinda like the dog barking... }
4. disabled the indexing service
5. emptied the trash { both on the laptop and in the kitchen }

Thanks in advance...
Edward

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Question concerning slow loading...

Unread postby Gary R » September 22nd, 2009, 2:53 am

This is not my area of expertise, so you may be better asking this question at a forum that specifically deals with browser problems, but I'd try the following before getting in touch with one.

If she uses a different browser does she still have the same problem ?

What I'm trying to establish is whether the problem is specific to Firefox, or specific to the site.

If the problem is FF specific ......
  • What FF add-ons does she use ?
  • Does she still have the problems if she runs Firefox in (Firefox Safe Mode) ?
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Edward » September 22nd, 2009, 9:15 am

Gary R wrote:This is not my area of expertise, so you may be better asking this question at a forum that specifically deals with browser problems, but I'd try the following before getting in touch with one.

If she uses a different browser does she still have the same problem ?

What I'm trying to establish is whether the problem is specific to Firefox, or specific to the site.

If the problem is FF specific ......
  • What FF add-ons does she use ?
  • Does she still have the problems if she runs Firefox in (Firefox Safe Mode) ?

No, the problem is not specific to FF. I tried using Opera and Google Chrome as well as IE. Doesn't matter which one is being used. When the id/password is entered, we have to wait as much as 5 minutes, or until it times out.
If we are successful in actually getting onto the site, just moving from one area into another is very slow.

I'm going to check FF just to be sure she isn't in FF safe mode.
Edward

Unread postby Gary R » September 22nd, 2009, 11:52 am

It's possible the Facebook site is experiencing difficulties which may not be uniform across all users.

http://en-gb.facebook.com/facebook?ref=pf

http://www.facebook.com/help.php
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Edward » September 22nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

Well, to be perfectly clear, here is the complete scenerio:

Desktop access:
* both my wife and I are able to access with no delay regardless of browser being used
* once on the site, navigation is quick and all pages load very quickly

Laptop access:
* regardless of which one signs on, the system takes far too long to load and frequently times out
* all browsers, IE / Opera / Google Chrome / Firefox, respond identical
* non Facebook sites load quickly and navigation is not effected
* Facebook in all cases responds very slowly and frequently times out

I checked the various settings on the laptop but that doesn't seem to be an issue. My wife has even tried using my Windows profile when logging on, with the same results.
Edward

Unread postby KevinK » September 22nd, 2009, 2:17 pm

I would suggest cleaning out all temp files/cookies/caches etc. Sounds like maybe FB was having an issue once and something is saved in the depths of the computer that "might" be causing this issue. Cleaning out everything "might" clean out the one thing that is causing the issue.

If it did this on more than just FB web site, I would look at network connections, domain login, etc. Seems strange it is just the one web site.

KevinK
KevinK

Unread postby Edward » September 22nd, 2009, 2:32 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I cleaned everything I could find. Deleted all cookies on all browsers and all temp files. I'm afraid we may just have to live with this situation. I have patience to sit and wait for grass to grow but my wife???? To say she is impatient is an understatement of the nth magnitude.

I'll just have to keep trying different things. Maybe, some where along the line, I will hit on the solution.
Edward

Unread postby KevinK » September 22nd, 2009, 2:38 pm

Edward wrote:
Laptop access:
* regardless of which one signs on, the system takes far too long to load and frequently times out

Does this mean logging on to the computer? Are you on a domain or workgroup?

Is facebook slow to load or to login or both before and after login?

KevinK
KevinK

Unread postby Edward » September 22nd, 2009, 2:57 pm

KevinK wrote:
Edward wrote:
Laptop access:

Does this mean 1.logging on to the computer? Are you on a 2.domain or workgroup?

Is facebook slow to load or to login or 3.both before and after login?

KevinK

1. Our laptop has two id's setup: a. me b. my wife The problem is identical in either login (this is the Windows user login) but only as it applies to Facebook. All other applications load normally.
2. I would imagine that it is the 'domain'. We haven't any workgroup that I'm aware of...
3. When opening a browser to our homepage {which includes several sites}, all sites load quickly except Facebook. When we finally get the login page for Facebook and enter the login info, it takes far too long to load {usually timing out}. Once we get onto the Facebook site, navigating from one page to any other will also load slowly and frequently times out.
Edward

Unread postby KevinK » September 22nd, 2009, 3:56 pm

Nothing really seems obvious to me. Since you have two other computers there that work fine, the issue would seem to be with the laptop somehow. Since it is just the facebook web site that you say is slow, and you have cleared your caches, I would try and pinpoint the addressing of where the computer is directing when going to Facebook. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

KevinK
KevinK

Unread postby Edward » September 22nd, 2009, 4:05 pm

Well, I appreciate the attempt. If I'm fortunate to discover the cause, I will be sure to post it so others can learn.

Guess I should get back to some real work... :cry:
Edward

Unread postby careless25 » October 6th, 2009, 11:00 pm

I have similar problems with facebbok too.
I hope someone knows how to fix this.

C25
careless25

Unread postby KevinK » October 7th, 2009, 11:09 am

I thought a little about this afterwords and was wondering about if there is a redirect (in the hosts file or elsewhere) that causes this?

Just a thought. My facebook works fine so I cannot debug on my machine(s).

KevinK
KevinK

Unread postby Edward » October 7th, 2009, 12:39 pm

KevinK wrote:I thought a little about this afterwords and was wondering about if there is a redirect (in the hosts file or elsewhere) that causes this?

Just a thought. My facebook works fine so I cannot debug on my machine(s).

KevinK

I spent the better part of this morning trying to figure out the problem with my laptop. I think I am going to have to run hijackthis on it. The problem now is that when we bring up Firefox or IE, the tabs load with the corresponding signin pages. Sometimes we can actually sign on but then are unable to navigate to the various links.

I managed to login here, from the laptop, but it wouldn't allow me to access any of the threads or use any of the options, such as 'View new posts | View your posts'. Neither of these work.

I'll have get hijackthis and put it on a flash card to get it over to my laptop. Me thinks this is going to be a loooooong, difficult situation...

If I'm successful, I will open a new thread to get my 'new' problem resolved.

Wish me luck, gang!
Edward

Unread postby Ronski » February 8th, 2010, 10:53 pm

I had this same problem with daughters laptop, Desktop pc OK, both connected to router. Turned out to be a clever little trojan. Not sure what AV your running, but first advice would be to post logs at this site, and get one of the helpers here to have a look. I disconnected my AV and used Spybot search and destroy, followed by Panda online scan. These detected variants of Virtumonde, 54 in fact, so I then ran "winsockxpfix". Make sure your Java is up to date also.

This was quite a while ago, and things change, so really, your best bet is to eliminate the possibility of malware first by posting for help.

Ronski.
Ronski

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions