Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Wild Tangent Malware and other trojans

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Wild Tangent Malware and other trojans

Unread postby Curley » September 11th, 2009, 2:59 pm

I forget to mention also that my monitor is having difficulty turning on, or resetting back on after it turns off for sitting idle. I'm having to turn off the monitor switch on my surge protector, turn it back on and then my monitor will turn back on when I hit the monitor switch.
Curley

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Curley » September 11th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Sorry, one more thing. Last few weeks, ever so often, I have received a prompt by my computer advising I was having a virtual memory issue, and it was increasing the virtual memory at that moment. I assumed that this was a part of the RAM memory you advised I needed to increase, which I will do as soon as I can, but maybe this is a different issue. Therefore, I am mentioning it.

Also, if increasing the RAM is a critical issue on my computer right now that really cannot wait two to three weeks, maybe I will just add another 256 MB to make a 1/2 GB on my computer. That will only cost me $15 and I am really low on funds at the moment and would prefer to wait unless this is a critical issue.
Curley

Unread postby Dakeyras » September 11th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Hi :)

Thanks for the situation update. :thumbup:

I forget to mention also that my monitor is having difficulty turning on, or resetting back on after it turns off for sitting idle. I'm having to turn off the monitor switch on my surge protector, turn it back on and then my monitor will turn back on when I hit the monitor switch.
Hmmm a strange one that but it actually sounds to me if the actual monitor is at fault rather than malware. It could very well be failing. There is a specific test we can try to check if your monitor is faulty. I will advise about this once satisfied your computer is malware free.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please go here and download ERUNT.
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup. Note: the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable.
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.
  • Click on OK
  • Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Next:

Please download OTM to your Desktop.

• Double-click OTM to start the program.
  • Copy the lines from the codebox to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + B (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
Code: Select all
:Reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\services]
"AVP"=-

:Files
C:\setupdlx
c:\program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender
c:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\SafeNet Sentinel
C:\Program Files\DNA
C:\Program Files\uTorrent

:Commands
[Purity]
[EmptyTemp]
[Reboot]
  • Return to OTM, right-click in the "Paste instructions for items to be moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste
  • Then click the red MoveIt! button.
  • Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of it and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy), and paste it into your next response.
  • If OTM asks to reboot your computer, allow it to do so. The report should appear in Notepad after the reboot.
  • Close OTM.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

Please note v1.41 has been recently released, if not updated part of the update process below will download and install the new version.

• Launch the application, Check for Updates >> Perform a Quick Scan
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner:

Go to this Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

Note: Use Internet Explorer for this scan.

• Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under Scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
  • Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.
  • Please post this log in your next reply.

This online tuturial will help explain how to use the aforementioned online scan.

When completed the above, please post back the following:

• How is you computer performing now? Any problems encountered and or any further symptoms?
  • OTM Log.
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Log.
  • Kaspersky report.
  • A new HijackThis Log.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Curley » September 11th, 2009, 8:23 pm

For the most part, computer is running very well. I have made several attempts to access the Kapersky scan but they have been having a problem with their website. I even rebooted to make sure the problem was not stemming from my end, but it is stemming from their website and a lot of time has passed and the problem still exists. IE now shuts down every time I attempt to access that scan page. I did not try under Mozilla Firefox because you were specific about using IE. Alternatively, I ran a deep scan under my new anti-virus program ESET NOD32 AV4 and no threats were found but some files they suspected may be damaged. I will not post that complete log because it is 13 traditional pages long and no threats were found. However, in this post, I will copy the two files they flagged as possibly being damaged and it could not open. If I am able to access Kapersky before I retire, I will run it.

Okay, first log - OTM:

All processes killed
========== REGISTRY ==========
Registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\services\\AVP deleted successfully.
========== FILES ==========
C:\setupdlx\disk9 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk8 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk7 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk6 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk5 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk4 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk30 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk3 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk29 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk28 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk27 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk26 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk25 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk24 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk23 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk22 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk21 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk20 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk2 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk19 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk18 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk17 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk16 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk15 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk14 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk13 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk12 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk11 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\disk10 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Disk1 moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Custom\Program\Inet\Common\Pnf\Quicken moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Custom\Program\Inet\Common\Pnf moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Custom\Program\Inet\Common moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Custom\Program\Inet moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Custom\Program moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx\Custom moved successfully.
C:\setupdlx moved successfully.
File/Folder c:\program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP not found.
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Events moved successfully.
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop moved successfully.
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender moved successfully.
c:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_14291\Plugins moved successfully.
c:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner\av32bit_14291 moved successfully.
c:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Threat Scanner moved successfully.
c:\program files\Common Files\BitDefender moved successfully.
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel RMS Development Kit\System moved successfully.
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel RMS Development Kit moved successfully.
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\SafeNet Sentinel moved successfully.
File/Folder C:\Program Files\DNA not found.
C:\Program Files\uTorrent moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Default User
->Temp folder emptied: 28409320 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

User: LocalService
File delete failed. C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
File delete failed. C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
File delete failed. C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
->Temp folder emptied: 66016 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 16786 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes

User: Owner
->Temp folder emptied: 48 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 17447768 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 65509812 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 58371 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 4351985 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 2190 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 110.53 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.0.0.6 log created on 09112009_155742

Files moved on Reboot...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

second log - Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2782
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

9/11/2009 4:28:40 PM
mbam-log-2009-09-11 (16-28-40).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 89191
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

third request AV scan - ESET NOD32 (files that could not be opened to be checked):

C:\Program Files\7-Zip\Uninstall.exe » NSIS - incorrect CRC checksum, the file may be damaged
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\python-core-2.6.1\lib\test\testtar.tar » TAR » - archive damaged

fourth log - HiJackThis:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 8:18:21 PM, on 9/11/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WN111\wn111.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\dpupdchk.exe
C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnectService\MotoConnectService.exe
C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnectService\MotoConnect.exe
C:\Program Files\AbiSuite2\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe
C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us6.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-us6.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itype] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WN111 Smart Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WN111\wn111.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/ ... .7.109.cab
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1006.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5727FF4C-EF4E-4d96-A96C-03AD91910448} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.srtest.com/srl_bin/sysreqlab_ind.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... 2349948046
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: MotoConnect Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnectService\MotoConnectService.exe

--
End of file - 6611 bytes
Curley

Unread postby Curley » September 11th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I am now realizing my video players are not working. I have recently had problems with both Windows Media Player and Inter Actual player, off and on, but it appears the problem has been elevated. It immediately informs me that it has encountered a problem and I can't access or watch my video, and it kicks me out.

Also, I had been trying previously to get rid of InterVideo WinDVD. When I could not, I went ahead and updated it, but it will not open, respond or anything. It is dead.
Curley

Unread postby Dakeyras » September 12th, 2009, 2:54 am

Some of the software related issues could could very well a result of using registry cleaners. Not a lot can be done I'm afraid apart from uninstalling and then redownloading/installing.

Overall you may have to consider a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system. Though you may be able to repair the actual Operating System but afterwards you would need to reinstall all Drivers and Service Packs etc.

We may be able to try a System File Check but more than likely will need files from SP3. A way around this though as follows.

Go to this page and navigate to:- Slipstream Service Pack 3.

Let myself know if you were able to create a disk or not. Before I consider if a System File Check is a viable option.

Next:

OK since Kapersky is having problems again with the online scanner, please try this alternative one.

1. Please go to Bitdefender website to perform an online scan.
  2. Click on Start Scanner.
  3. You will be prompted to install an ActiveX. Please allow it and install it.
  4. Under Select what you want to check for viruses, click on the Click here link.
    • Check (tick) the Desktop box.
    • Click on + sign next to My Computer. Uncheck (untick) your CD or DVD drive box(es).
    • Uncheck the Network box.
    • Click OK.
  5. Under Settings, click on the Click here link.
    • Under Action options, select Report only option.
    • Click on the + sign next to Second Action.
    • Select Report only option.
    • Click OK.
  6. Click on Click here to scan link.
  7. It will start loading the antivirus scan engine and virus definitions and start the scan. This will take a while. Please be patient.
  8. Click on Click here to export the scan report.
  9. Click on Desktop on your left.
  10. In the File Name box, copy and paste in Report.txt
  11. In the Save As Type box, select Text (Tab Delimited) (*.txt) file.
  12. Click Save.

Post the results in your next reply, thank you.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Curley » September 12th, 2009, 3:15 pm

On the XP SP3 Recovery disc, I do not have a CD. Windows came pre-installed on my system. BTW - My computer crashed and was no longer functional and I did a system reconstruct in August 2008. Apparently, there was a hot key on the keyboard that allowed me to do this. It took days to upload updates as it was restored to original specifications and all personal data was lost; and I only now got my drivers updated. I hope you are not referring to repeating that long process.

I only recently did a registry cleanups through CCleaner, but I kept backups. I would suppose that if this is a registry cleanup issue, that it will be found in the original backup that was taken about a week or two ago. Should I restore that backup?
Curley

Unread postby Dakeyras » September 12th, 2009, 4:07 pm

On the XP SP3 Recovery disc, I do not have a CD. Windows came pre-installed on my system. BTW - My computer crashed and was no longer functional and I did a system reconstruct in August 2008. Apparently, there was a hot key on the keyboard that allowed me to do this. It took days to upload updates as it was restored to original specifications and all personal data was lost; and I only now got my drivers updated.
OK fair play that explains the extra partition on your hard-drive. That will be what is known as a recovery partition, which is used in lieu of a actual installation CD-ROM used by some computer manufacturer's.

I hope you are not referring to repeating that long process.
Hopefully not. Please bare in mind you asked/posted here in Malware Removal for assistance with both a malware and system related problems, which in turn is provided free of charge on a volunteer basis. I am not the cause of your computer issues. At any time you prefer not to heed my advice feel free to take your computer to a IT Repair Center in your locality.
I only recently did a registry cleanups through CCleaner, but I kept backups. I would suppose that if this is a registry cleanup issue, that it will be found in the original backup that was taken about a week or two ago. Should I restore that backup?
No do not attempt to use the backups as the actual chance of them being able to restore the system to as was before the Scan for Issues component used are quite slim and could very well create more problems system wise.

Please run the BitDefender online scan and post the results when completed, thank you.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Curley » September 12th, 2009, 10:37 pm

I was surprised by your last response as you appear to be very defensive. I don't recall anything I have written that suggests I was blaming you for my computer problems, not trusting you, or not demonstrating gratitude, which I believe I have done several times. If it bothers you that I would be dismayed at having to repeat that dreadful process of wiping my system out and reconstructing it, I can't help your reaction to my reaction to my problem. You have asked me repeatedly to keep you abreast of any issues, concerns or problems as we go along with the process. I do not know what is attributable to malware and what is not. I can only share my experience with my system as we go along, as per your request. I would ask that you do not then lecture me as though I am doing something wrong by you. I have expressed my gratitude for your time and am grateful.

As to your caveat, I have taken that into consideration and I agree. I would want and would seek out a second opinon at another forum before taking a drastic measure as system reconstruction. I have put an exteme amount of time on working on resolving all issues on this sytsem in the past 3 weeks and have a great deal of other obligations I need to tend to before I consider putting the amount of time I had to put in a year ago. This is not to say I am blaming you for my problem and I don't know why you suggested that. Surely you are used to people being distressed by this type of situation. But thank you for your cavaet nontheless.

Here is the BitDefender log you asked for:

BitDefender Online Scanner -Scan ReportBitDefender Online Scanner
Scan report generated at: Sat, Sep 12, 2009 - 19:12:08

Scan path: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents;C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Documents;A:\;C:\;D:\;

Statistics
Time03:30:38
Files560214
Folders8078
Boot Sectors0
Archives22665
Packed Files24436

Results
Identified Viruses 0
Infected Files 0
Suspect Files 0
Warnings0
Disinfected0
Deleted Files0

Engines Info
Virus Definitions4148465
Engine buildAVCORE v2.1 Windows/i386 11.0.0.26 (Aug 27 2009)
Scan plugins17
Archive plugins45
Unpack plugins7
E-mail plugins6
System plugins4

Scan Settings
First ActionDisinfect
Second ActionDelete
HeuristicsYes
Enable WarningsYes
Scanned Extensions*;
Exclude Extensions
Scan EmailsYes
Scan ArchivesYes
Scan PackedYes
Scan FilesYes
Scan BootYes

Scanned File Status
No virus found.
Curley

Unread postby Curley » September 13th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Okay, I uninstalled Interactual Player and reinstalled it, and then it worked. Then I uninstalled the recently upgraded Windows Media Player 11 (from version 9), and then reinstalled it. Still Windows Media Player did not work, but then the InterActual also did not work again. It might have something to do with the Windows Media Upgrade to 11 (codecs involved).

Also the time prior I had used both media players, it had given me a display driver error code. This is what prompted me to get Driver Detective to check for driver updates, which was important because I never realized the last time I reconstructed the computer that I needed to reinstall and/or update the drivers, and this proved helpful in other areas. I am a full time online student and the media player use is important/necessary and not just an option.

You conveyed concern about having run the RSIT and then utilizing restore. Does this include System Restore? If so, I need to clear them out. If not, maybe we can restore the system from being your ran RSIT, so that I can restore the registry that was taken about 1 to 2 weeks ago. I think it is possible that my display driver error code occurred after I did my initial registry cleanup.
Curley

Unread postby Curley » September 13th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Okay. I uninstalled RealPlayer and Interactual Player. I installed VLS and XP Codec (Media Player Classic). I am able to watch videos on VLS and Media Player Classic though it is not smooth (a little choppy). The Codec Detective advised I was missing (or was not installed correctly) LEAD MCMP-MJPEG codec. I tried downloading it, but then they wanted money, so I removed that download. It then removed other versions of the Lead that actually was working. I've tried system restore but it appears my computer is confused. It is okay now but I don't want to run anymore system restores. I am burnt out and feel maybe I do need to just wipe this out and start over instead of us wasting anymore time on this.

It has only been a year and I can upload my important docs and PDFs to my school and hotmail accounts. The only thing would be my music. Other than this, I don't have much that I can't simply put back in. I keep my licenses in my hotmail account.

I don't have registration keys and am unsure how I got this system reconstructed last time. Actually, I was getting ready to place it in the dumpster and I crossed paths with a homeless family whom the mother knew or heard of a hot key command to reconstruct the XP system. She said she would try it, and then was in and out in about 30 minutes and I was left to do the uploading of windows updates. So, I know it can be done and my system was fried, but I don't know how it was done without a registration key. But then again, this came preinstalled.

I don't want to waste anymore unneccesary time on this as I have heavy coursework load and my academics are suffering now because of the time I have been putting to work on this computer and sitting by waiting for scans and downloads to run, etc., trying to find the right updates, etc. If we are going to start over, I want to put the time into that and get it behind me as quickly as possible so I can reshift my focus on where it needs to be.

Here is the most current HiJack This log in case you want it:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:34:33 PM, on 9/13/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnectService\MotoConnectService.exe
C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnectService\MotoConnect.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WN111\wn111.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\dpupdchk.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\infocard.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://srch-us6.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://srch-us6.hpwis.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itype] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WN111 Smart Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WN111\wn111.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/ ... .7.109.cab
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1006.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5727FF4C-EF4E-4d96-A96C-03AD91910448} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.srtest.com/srl_bin/sysreqlab_ind.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resourc ... oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... 2349948046
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: MotoConnect Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Motorola\MotoConnectService\MotoConnectService.exe

--
End of file - 6757 bytes
Curley

Unread postby Dakeyras » September 14th, 2009, 5:32 am

Read all you have posted, a system reset to as was(using the in-built recovery partition) may indeed be required but since both myself and this forum primarily only provide Anti-Malware support I suggest before you consider this you seek specific assistance with IT/Software Tech Support.

If you wish to seek assistance with a view to the aforementioned the best advice I can give is to is create a account at one of the following forums and post in the appropriate section.

I am a member of both of the below myself and they have outstanding IT Tech Support Staff:

Next:

Please re-open HiJackThis and select Do a system scan only. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below (if present):

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

Now click on Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis.

Next:

Congratulations your computer now appears to be malware free!

Now I have some tasks for your good self to carry out as part of a clean up process and some advice about online safety.

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well. Plus bare in mind my prior advice about upgrading the presently installed RAM(Random Access Memory).

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Uninstall ComboFix:

• Click on Start >> Run...
  • Now type in Combofix /u in the and click OK.
  • Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

Clean up with OTM:

• Double-click OTM to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTM as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTM main screen, press the CleanUp! button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

The above process should clean up and remove the vast majority of scanners used and logs created etc.

Any left over merely delete yourself and empty the Recycle Bin.

Now some advice for on-line safety:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

This is a excellent application and I advise you keep this installed. Check for updates and run a scan once a week.

Other installed security software:

Your presently installed security application, ESET NOD32 Antivirus automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this also once per week.

Erunt:

Emergency Recovery Utility NT, I advice you keep this installed as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

• Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
  • Never open emails from unknown senders.
  • Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
  • Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Make your Internet Explorer safer:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice avoid these types of software applications.

Hosts File:

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your computer will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

Only use one of the above!

Finally a educational source:

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein:

So how did I get infected in the first place?

Some consider this article outdated, personally I still think it bares relevance and the author is well respected in the Anti-Malware community and by myself also!
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Curley » September 14th, 2009, 8:56 am

This is very valuable information. I actually found a couple of very reasonably priced techs this morning who will wipe out the system and reinstall it, drivers, windows SP2. One claims he will accomplish it all in one day, and the other within 3 days. I am too burnt out and need to switch my attention to things that are actually just as or more important than salvaging this computer, so I will pay their reasonable price and gain time and peace of mind. However, the information you provided in your last post will be very helpful to me as I start anew, the right way this time.

And the first thing I will make sure is done is to get rid of Wild Tangent (and BitTorrent?) that came installed on this machine! lol And yes, I will increase the RAM.

I very much appreciated your help. I learned a lot through this process. You were very thorough.
Curley

Unread postby Dakeyras » September 14th, 2009, 9:17 am

I actually found a couple of very reasonably priced techs this morning who will wipe out the system and reinstall it, drivers, windows SP2. One claims he will accomplish it all in one day, and the other within 3 days.
OK be wary here, they may just carry out a system reset or if they actually wipe the drive make sure they do provide a genuine XP CD-ROM afterwards otherwise you will be left with no means of ever reinstalling the operating system again as the recovery partition thats holds the system reset will no longer be present.

And the first thing I will make sure is done is to get rid of Wild Tangent (and BitTorrent?) that came installed on this machine! lol
Aye as far as I able to ascertain they are indeed gone. Be aware though the Wild Tangent application if the system reset used will be back on the system again. It is not actually malware persay but does have some undesirable characteristics.

I very much appreciated your help. I learned a lot through this process. You were very thorough.
You're welcome and stay safe!
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Gary R » September 16th, 2009, 10:01 am

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous