Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

IE won't run, help greatly appreciated

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: IE won't run, help greatly appreciated

Unread postby EdS » August 7th, 2009, 7:54 am

It looks to me like IE8 has been installed over the top of IE7 (there are IE8 folders in system32), then IE7 was installed or reverted back to. Maybe this has caused some of the problems?
EdS

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Dakeyras » August 7th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Hi :)

What you mentioned may indeed be a factor plus the malware that was present.

OK please uninstall IE7 and a automatic rollback to IE6 should occur. Then inform myself please if IE6 SP1 is working as it should.

Then we will go from there, thank you.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby EdS » August 9th, 2009, 4:04 am

Hi, I had to uninstall SP3 in order to uninstall IE7 which I've done. Internet Options control panel now works but IE gives an error iertutil.dll not found.

Regards.
EdS

Unread postby Dakeyras » August 9th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Which Service Pack is now currently installed on your computer is is SP2 or SP1a for example?

You can check via right clicking My Computer and selecting Properties.

Also do you have a Genuine XP CD-ROM and if so does it it include a Service Pack and if so which one?
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby EdS » August 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm

SP2 is currently installed

I don't have the XP cdrom unfortunately
EdS

Unread postby Dakeyras » August 10th, 2009, 4:59 am

OK this may be problematic since you do not have a XP CD-ROM. We can try the below and hopefully a copy of the missing iertutil.dll file can be located within the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache). Then extracted and copied/replaced etc.

System File Check:

Close all open applications/windows etc.

• Click on Start >> Run...
  • Type in SFC /Scannow <--- Make sure to leave a space between SFC and the forward slash.
  • Click on OK
  • System File Checker will now scan all protected files to verify their versions.

Note: This will take some time. Also you may be prompted to place your XP installation CD-ROM, if so cancel the whole procedure.

It would be far better if the SFC can run unhindered in the event it does proceed to the below and or inform myself it required the CD-ROM.

Re-Install IE7:

Please go here and download the installer for Windows Internet Explorer 7(if you have deleted the prior download). Save it your desktop.

Now this next part is to ensure absolutely nothing hinders the installation process:-

Disconnect your internet connection and temp disable all security related applications.

Now double-click on IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu and follow the prompts.

Re-enable all disabled applications and reboot the system, let myself know the outcome please, thank you.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby EdS » August 11th, 2009, 1:54 pm

SFC did need a disk so I cancelled the scan.

I went ahead and installed IE7 anyway (sorry about that) and I can report that everything is now working.

Are there any final cleanup operations I should do?
EdS

Unread postby Dakeyras » August 11th, 2009, 4:33 pm

SFC did need a disk so I cancelled the scan.
Fair play, I suspected this may be the case.

I went ahead and installed IE7 anyway (sorry about that) and I can report that everything is now working.
OK and not a problem at all.

Are there any final cleanup operations I should do?
Indeed there is.

Random Access Memory Advice:
Total RAM: 383 MB (50% free)
Though Microsoft claims XP will run with a mere 128 MB installed in my opinion a minimum of 1 GB is far better.

If you wish to upgrade the installed memory, Crucial have a small scanner(CrucialScan.exe)which is perfectly safe to download and run. Which will advise if your system can support any upgraded memory modules. They cater for the US/UK and Europe.

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well. Plus bare in mind my prior advice about upgrading the presently installed RAM(Random Access Memory).

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Clean up with OTM:

• Double-click OTM to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTM as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTM main screen, press the CleanUp! button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

The above process should clean up and remove the vast majority of scanners used and logs created etc.

Any left over merely delete yourself and empty the Recycle Bin.

Reset the System Restore points:

• Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
  • Press Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >>System Tools >> System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close
  • Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
  • Next click Start >> Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
  • Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
  • Press OK and Yes to confirm

Now some advice for on-line safety:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

This is a excellent application and I advise you keep this installed. Check for updates and run a scan once a week.

Other installed security software:

Your presently installed application, Avast4 AntiVirus automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this also once per week.

Erunt:

Emergency Recovery Utility NT, I advice you keep this installed as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

• Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
  • Never open emails from unknown senders.
  • Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
  • Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Make your Internet Explorer safer:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice avoid these types of software applications.

Advised Optional Installation:

There is no sign of a software firewall installed on your system. Regardless if using a hardware type and or using the inbuilt Windows Service Pack 3 firewall this is a necessary application as it will also provide outbound protection where as the aforementioned do not.

I highly advise you download ONE of the following firewalls and install it. Restart the computer for changes to take effect.

This article is a excellent resource regarding the aforementioned firewalls: Understanding and Using Firewalls

Note: If you opt for a software firewall application and you notice a system performance degradation, uninstall and re-enable the Windows firewall. Then try a software firewall application after you have addressed the system memory issue.

Optional update:

Re-install XP Service Pack 2:-

Download can be found here or the CD ordered for your country here <--scroll down to and click on 'How to obtain Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a CD'

Please read this Microsoft article before actually installing the aforementioned service pack.

Finally a educational source:

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein:

So how did I get infected in the first place?

Some consider this article outdated, personally I still think it bares relevance and the author is well respected in the Anti-Malware community and by myself also!

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby EdS » August 13th, 2009, 4:23 am

Hello Dakeyras,

Your help and support has been exemplary, I'm very grateful. Do you have a favourite charity I can make a donation to?

Best regards,
Ed
EdS

Unread postby Dakeyras » August 13th, 2009, 4:29 am

You are very welcome and a pleasure to be of assistance!

If you wish by all means donate to Malware Removal or if you wish to any local Children's and or Cancer Charity of your choice. Any/either is fine by me.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby NonSuch » August 14th, 2009, 4:01 am

As this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!