Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

cannot connect to internet

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: cannot connect to internet

Unread postby Phoopsie » June 28th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Yeah this is bad news. How can this happen-I thought that was what I was paying Norton to do. Well I'll straighten out all the banking stuff-and as far as reformatting and reinstalling I might as well forget that- I had trouble copying and pasting all the stuff that you needed-I don't think I'd be able to tackle all that. I just remembered when I was doing the ESET thing-after I turned off Norton and the red X was on the task bar -so I know it was off -ESET said to turn off anti virus that Norton 2004 was detected. The first year I had Norton was 2007-this computer was given to me and the person before me had Mchaffey. I know I saw that if anti virus wasn't turned off before scan you could get wrong results--just grasping at straws--any way I want to thank you for your patience, help and kindness. Best of luck to you and me too.
Phoopsie

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Dakeyras » June 28th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Hi :)

Must admit it is always with a heavy heart I have to post information such as I did to your good self.

I know I saw that if anti virus wasn't turned off before scan you could get wrong results--just grasping at straws--any way I want to thank you for your patience, help and kindness. Best of luck to you and me too.
Given the other infections that were present it is a good chance these were used as a means for the Win32/Allaple.Gen worm to gain a foothold and then exploit so much.

You are very welcome and I will do my best to assist you with the reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system. This normally I would not do as my role is primarily Anti-Malware support only but I will make a allowance for your good self and assist further OK if I am able. This is my call/decision to make and I honestly do not mind doing so in this situation.

OK a question first, please confirm that you do have a genuine XP CD-ROM reinstallation disk please and if so, we can go from there OK :thumbup:
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Phoopsie » June 28th, 2009, 4:09 pm

What I have is a purple disc--says-operating system--reinstallation
cd- microsoft -windows xp home edition-including service pack 1----it says: only use this cd to reinstall the operating system on a dell computer. This cd is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.I have a blue disc too. it says: Drivers and utilities already installed on your computer. For reinstalling V.92/56K Telephony Data/Fax Voice Modem Software for microsoft windows. I feel sick.
Phoopsie

Unread postby Dakeyras » June 28th, 2009, 4:38 pm

What you informed myself is fine, no need to feel ill but I both appreciate/understand your reaction. I can walk you thru this no problem as I do have similar Dell related CD-ROM's at my disposal.

Give myself 24hrs+ and I will post back instructions you can follow to achieve the reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system and software applications required.

However as for setting up your actual ISP connection again, please be aware this I may not be able to help you with.

My advice concerning this would be to contact your actual ISP and they should send a engineer out to do this for you if not able yourself OK.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Dakeyras » June 29th, 2009, 4:33 am

I recalled a tutorial that is quite concise and self explanatory it is located here and is pretty much similar as to anything I would create.

You would need to specifically scroll down the page and follow the instructions from Ready, Set, Reformat. Please do have a look and then inform myself if you think you will be able to both follow and understand the procedure.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Phoopsie » June 29th, 2009, 8:51 am

Well I went to the tutorial and the first thing when I ran diskmgmt.msc it didn't say IDE or SATA_it said WDCWD400BB-75-EOA----next thing validation assistant, it validated but then there was supposed to be an activex install and I didn't get the prompt to install activex,so I didn't get to the point to enter product key. I read on further and the reinstall appropriate drivers and network settings and a bunch of other things--I have no clue. I'm afraid I'll start this and then get stuck. Tell me what's going to happen if I just don't take any action-if I don't do any banking or purchasing on line-is my computer just going to explode one day? Is the performance just going to slowly decrease? What do you think? Uou know if I had you to babysit me through the whole proceedure I might be able to do it-but that's not possible because I'll be disconnected from the internet. The computers owner's manual makes the reinstall sound fairly simple-just one page-no mention of formatting-just a part about reinstalling drivers-rollback thing I didn't get. That page you sent me to Whew! there was just too much stuff I just didn't get. Any way-what can I expect to happen if I just take no action. The computer is running fine now-haven't lost connection for 6 days now. Thank you
Phoopsie

Unread postby Dakeyras » June 29th, 2009, 5:27 pm

OK if no action is taken as in a a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system, the present malware infection will spread exponentially and cause even more damage. Also further/other malware will also infect the computer as a result of the present infections and eventually it will get to the point that a distinct possibility the computer will cease to function correctly at all.

The only other advise I can offer is can you ask a family member and or friend to carry out the advised procedure for you? Or take the actual computer to your local IT Repair Centre/Shop and explain to them what is required.

I am very sorry not a lot else I can advise at this point I'm afraid, as only so much I am able to impart within the confines of online assistance.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Phoopsie » June 29th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Just wanted you to know-at work today I was talking about my computer woes and one of my regular customers said that her neighbor used to work at geek squad so I gave her my phone # and Dave(bless his heart) came over this evening and reformated and reinstalled--fixed everything--in just an hour and a half.He said he's done this hundreds of times-boy were his fingers flying. I'm so happy now. So thanks again for all your help!Regards Barb
Phoopsie

Unread postby Dakeyras » June 30th, 2009, 6:17 am

Good news and I am very pleased for you!

The below is some advice on what to install afterwards:

Reformat and Reinstallation Advice:

• Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
    Here are some free Anti Virus programs which I recommend to use:
    • Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
      • Free anti-virus software for Windows.
      • Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
    • avast! 4 Home Edition
        • Anti-virus program for Windows.
        • The home edition is freeware for noncommercial users.
    • Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
    • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
      Here are some free Firewalls which I recommend to use:
      (Use only one, and disable your Windows Firewall)
    Note: Only ever have installed/use one Anti-Virus application and Software Firewall. Otherwise a system conflict will occur and this also lessens overall online protection!
  • Keep your system updated- Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Download it from here
    The tutorial on how to use MBAM is located here
  • Install WinPatrol - Download it from here
    You can find information about how WinPatrol works here
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
    Download it from here
    The tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster is located here
  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for your computer becoming infected again will reduce dramatically. Any questions feel free to ask OK. If not stay safe!
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Gary R » July 1st, 2009, 8:01 am

As your problems have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous