Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Tried Basic fixes, computer still painfully slow

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Tried Basic fixes, computer still painfully slow

Unread postby Confused09 » June 9th, 2009, 12:00 am

Ok, I have rebooted the modem and ran the test that you linked me to (didn't know that it existed, very informative) here are the results that I got:

Download 0.34 mb/s
Upload 0.67 mb/s
Ping 74ms

Was there something else that I should have provided from those results?

I say this alot, but you have no idea how helpful you have been with this. I would be totally lost long ago.

Thanks!
Confused09

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Sharagoz » June 9th, 2009, 5:41 am

I say this alot, but you have no idea how helpful you have been with this. I would be totally lost long ago.
Thanks!
You're welcome :)

Those results are extremly low. When you said "back to the 56k modem days" you were right.
For instance, the average results for Norway, where I live, is 7Mb/s download speed. You only have 5% of that.

I don't think the problem lies with your computer.
I would recommend you call your ISP and see if there's anything they can do. Tell them your internet connection has been extremly slow lately, and that speed tests you've done on the line shows a speed that's only a small fraction of what it should be (0.3 Mb/s) (pronounced "zero point three mega-bit").
Hopefully they will be able to connect to your modem, run some tests, tell you if there's anything wrong with the line or modem, and what must be done from there.

Btw, if they're able to help you solve the problem I'd apprechiate if you let me know how the problem was solved.
Sharagoz
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Confused09 » June 11th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Update:

After a nice long conversation with an unhelpful customer service rep who didn't trust the download speed numbers I gave her (and made me reboot the modem twice) she was finally able to test the modem/line from her end determined it was worth a service person to come out.

The service guy(this is from a message he left my phone) said that he determined the line was bad going to the building and tied it into another line, I guess their higher speed service.

Result: another speed test shows 1.39 down/.74 up This on a 1.5mb plan so the viewing is much, much faster now.

is there anything else you would like me to do at this point?

Thanks again!
Confused09

Unread postby Sharagoz » June 12th, 2009, 5:09 am

Result: another speed test shows 1.39 down/.74 up This on a 1.5mb plan
If you're on a 1.5Mb plan, then your test results indicate you have the speed you should be having, so thats good news!

Unless you have discovered more problems, there's only one thing left:
Cleaning up after the malware checkup we did.

• 1) Uninstall through Add/Remove Programs
    • Locate and uninstall the below programs unless you want to keep some of them for future usage:
      Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      ESET Online Scanner
  • 2) Uninstall GMER
    • Press the windows key and the R key to open the Run dialog box
    • Copy the command below into it and press Enter
      Code: Select all
      C:\Windows\gmer_uninstall.cmd
  • 3) Flush system restore
    This is to prevent you from getting reinfected should you ever need to do a system restore.
    Since we did find a few malware traces on your computer, its best to do this to be on the safe side.
    • Right click on My Computer
    • Select Properties
    • Click the System Restore tab and check "Turn Off System Restore on all Drives"
    • Click OK at the prompt and restart your computer
    • After the computer has restarted, find the System Restore tab again the same way you did before
    • Uncheck "Turn Off System Restore on all Drives"
    • Click Apply. System Restore will now be enabled again, and a new restore point will be created.
    • When the process is done, the Status field will change to Monitoring. Click OK to exit.
  • 4) Other deletions
    • You can delete the files and folders below
      rist.exe (on your desktop)
      C:\rist (folder)
      dds.com (on your desktop)
      gmer.zip
    • Delete any other logs that remain on your desktop.

You mentioned getting a script error in firefox. Has this gone away?
Sharagoz
Retired Graduate

Unread postby NonSuch » June 20th, 2009, 3:42 am

As this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is now closed.

You can help support this site from this link :
Donations For Malware Removal
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous