Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

HiJackThis log submittal

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: HiJackThis log submittal

Unread postby muppy03 » May 2nd, 2009, 6:32 pm

Hi Tim, Lets see if we can find that Folder.

To show all files and folders
• Click Start
• Open My Computer.
• Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
• Select the View Tab.
• Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
• Click Yes to confirm.
• Click OK.

Once that is done using Windows Explorer, lets see if we can locate the following folder.
To access Windows Explorer Right click the start button and select the explore option.
Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Tim Creswell then click on the plus sign and see if Application Data is listed.

Let me know what you find.
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Tim98TA » May 2nd, 2009, 6:47 pm

WOW, duh, I must have had a huge brain fart. I should have known how to change those settings.
Yes, I have found Application Data, as well as the files I was looking for. The files in question are still currently being used, so I don't want to delete them. What can I do to have the defrag process defrag these 2 files?
Tim98TA

Unread postby muppy03 » May 3rd, 2009, 3:57 am

Hi Tim,

:cheers: for Folder found.

Lets see if it will defrag in safe mode. Other tasks running in the background can at times interfere with defrag running correctly. If this is the case safe mode will hopefully eliminate this particular problem.

You can go in Safe Mode by restarting your computer, then continually tapping F8 until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter.

Let me know how it all goes :flower:
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Tim98TA » May 3rd, 2009, 12:59 pm

It gave the same results in safe mode.
Tim98TA

Unread postby muppy03 » May 4th, 2009, 6:55 am

Hi Tim,

Are you having any other problems besides being unable to defrag? Unfortunately I do not have an answer as to why defrag will not complete. It looks to be a non- malware related problem.

I would suggest that you ask in a forum more suited to general trouble shooting , hopefully someone there will be able to solve this issue. Please find below links to sites well suited for this problem.

Please reply to this message and let me know if there is any other issues that I can help you with, if none we can go on to final instuctions. :flower:
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Tim98TA » May 4th, 2009, 9:58 pm

I'll check those other sites for the defrag issue. Thanks.
The pc seems to be running fine. It did, however, blink a black screen yesterday for a split second.
Tim98TA

Unread postby muppy03 » May 5th, 2009, 4:29 am

Hi Tim, Glad the computer is running fine and good luck with the tech sites, I hope the defrag gets sorted for you. I wish I had been able to help with that.
Even though I am done after this post, the topic will remain open for a few days, so if you have any problems please post.

I would suggest you proceed as follows to provide extra protection for future safe internet use.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system. If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
F-secure Health Check

Install SpyWare Blaster 4.0
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster here

Install WinPatrol
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here

Install MVPS Hosts File from here
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
Find Tutorial here : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Read some information here how to prevent Malware.

Please reply in three days and let me know if you have any problems or questions.
Happy Safe Surfing :flower:
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Elrond » May 10th, 2009, 10:23 am

Tim98TA this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!