Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Cutwail.XR infection? - unable to run files

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Cutwail.XR infection? - unable to run files

Unread postby djgebert » April 23rd, 2009, 1:22 am

Hi.

Yesterday CA Antivirus popped up an alert saying it had found Win32/cutWail.XR in a file. It reported the file with the status 'cleaned' and below it reported the same file with the status 'infected'. Initially I assumed that it had cleaned it, and kept working. But it did this a few more times (I'm not sure if it was the same filename each time) over the next 20 minutes, and I became a bit concerned. I only have CA Antivirus running, not Anti-spyware or any other products.

Some suspicious behaviour on my system is that I am unable to run any of the following files:
regedit.exe
HijackThis.exe
Any CA tools, including:
C:\Vet\caav.exe
C:\Vet\caavcmdscan.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\casecuritycenter.exe

When I try to run the above files, I get an hourglass cursor for half a second, and then nothing. I cannot run them from Start->Run, nor from Windows Explorer, nor from the command line. If I copy them to other locations, I still cannot run them. I took a copy of regedit.exe from a friend's version of XP and was still unable to run it.
However, if I change the filename of any of these files, I can run them. e.g. 'Copy of regedit.exe' and 'HijackThis2.exe' work (which is how I obtained the HijackThis log.)

Here is the action I have taken:

After reading online about cutWail.XR, I deleted C:\Documents and Settings\daniel\daniel.exe which I believed to be bad. It has not returned.

I installed AVG 8 and ran a full system scan overnight. It found the following:
"C:\Program Files\Cool MP3 Splitter\mp3join.exe";"Trojan horse Downloader.Generic8.OYL";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\accwizs.dll";"Virus found Win32/Heur";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\accwizs.dll";"Virus found Win32/Heur";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (620)";"Virus found Win32/Heur";"Reboot is required to finish the action"
"C:\WINDOWS\Temp\wpv351239013964.exe";"Trojan horse Agent_r.MU";"Moved to Virus Vault"
Since then it has also moved the following to its vault:
"Infection";"Trojan horse Generic_c.AKQB";"C:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\z62cska1.default\Cache\1E0A7F78d01";"";"23/04/2009, 2:02:01 PM"
"Infection";"Trojan horse SHeur2.ABMK";"C:\WINDOWS\system32\actmovien.exe";"";"23/04/2009, 12:43:18 PM"

I also deleted C:\Windows\system32\digiwet.dll because its create date was around the time of infection, and when I searched online, many websites said it was malicious.

I am currently running CA antivirus (with changed filename). It has deleted the following:
c:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Local Settings\Temp\BN160.tmp - Win32/Cutwail.YI trojan. Deleted.
c:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Local Settings\Temp\BN18E.tmp - Win32/Cutwail.YI trojan. Deleted.
c:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Local Settings\Temp\BN18F.tmp - Win32/Cutwail.YI trojan. Deleted.
c:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Local Settings\Temp\BN190.tmp - Win32/Cutwail.YI trojan. Deleted.
c:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Local Settings\Temp\BN192.tmp - Win32/Cutwail.YI trojan. Deleted.

None of the actions I have taken have made me able to run the programs I listed.

Here is my HijackThis log file:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:38:52 PM, on 23/04/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Vet\ISafe.exe
C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\bin\fbguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\bin\fbserver.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgam.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TSVNCache.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPsdkServ.exe
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Binn\msftesql.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink DVD Solution\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe
C:\Vet\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\Telstra\BigPond Wireless Broadband 2.0\BigPond_CM.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP for Windows XP\PGPtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Renesas\Hew\AutoUpdate\AutoUpdate.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\rapimgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\SaverStarter.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\regeditnew.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\Vet\Copy of caavcmdscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\daniel\Desktop\HiJackThis2.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.telstra.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://blackwood/vTrackOnline/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Telstra BigPond Home Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: BigPond Wireless Broadband 2.0 Auto Dial - {DB92EC3F-697D-4C3B-9A3B-3ABBD23D4A85} - C:\Program Files\Telstra\BigPond Wireless Broadband 2.0\bpwbb2ad.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAEMON Tools Toolbar - {32099AAC-C132-4136-9E9A-4E364A424E17} - C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Toolbar\DTToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink DVD Solution\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cctray] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Vet\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BigPondWirelessBroadbandCM] "C:\Program Files\Telstra\BigPond Wireless Broadband 2.0\BigPond_CM.exe" -tsr
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gqaqidefayoq] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\aciwevanuzafavi.dll",e
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [daniel] C:\Documents and Settings\daniel\daniel.exe /i
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-725345543-1450960922-682003330-1049\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'postgres')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: SaverStarter.exe
O4 - Global Startup: PGPtray.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Renesas AutoUpdate.lnk = C:\Program Files\Renesas\Hew\AutoUpdate\AutoUpdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Fiddler2 - {CF819DA3-9882-4944-ADF5-6EF17ECF3C6E} - "C:\Program Files\Fiddler2\Fiddler.exe" (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fiddler2 - {CF819DA3-9882-4944-ADF5-6EF17ECF3C6E} - "C:\Program Files\Fiddler2\Fiddler.exe" (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8} (Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813
O16 - DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} (asusTek_sysctrl Class) - http://support.asus.com.cn/common/asusTek_sys_ctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1111025195765
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1231454346546
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www.ca.com/US/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {BDBDE413-7B1C-4C68-A8FF-C5B2B4090876} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.3) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{352F7426-1E1F-4A1B-8FFF-8848BDB040FB}: NameServer = 172.16.1.6,139.130.4.4
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: CaCCProvSP - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: CVSNT Locking Service 2.5.03.2382 (cvslock) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvslock.exe
O23 - Service: CVSNT Dispatch service 2.5.03.2382 (cvsnt) - March Hare Software Ltd - C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvsservice.exe
O23 - Service: eCylinder Windows Service (eCylinderWinService) - Transtech - C:\Documents and Settings\daniel\My Documents\Workspace\eCylindersServices\eCylinderWinService\bin\Release\eCylinderWinService.exe
O23 - Service: Firebird Guardian - DefaultInstance (FirebirdGuardianDefaultInstance) - FirebirdSQL Project - C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\bin\fbguard.exe
O23 - Service: Firebird Server - DefaultInstance (FirebirdServerDefaultInstance) - FirebirdSQL Project - C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\bin\fbserver.exe
O23 - Service: HTTP SSL HTTPFilterxmlprov (HTTPFilterxmlprov) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\actmovien.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IAPSPWindowsService - Unknown owner - C:\Source\IAPSPSystem\IAPSPWindowsService\bin\Debug\IAPSPWindowsService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IAPSPWindowsServiceArchiving - Unknown owner - C:\Source\IAPSPSystem\IAPSPWindowsServiceArchiving\bin\Debug\IAPSPWindowsServiceArchiving.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PGPsdkService (PGPsdkServ) - PGP Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPsdkServ.exe
O23 - Service: PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 (pgsql-8.3) - PostgreSQL Global Development Group - C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_ctl.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - CA, Inc. - C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe

--
End of file - 11569 bytes

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give - it is much appreciated.

Regards

Daniel Gebert
djgebert

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Cutwail.XR infection? - unable to run files

Unread postby Dakeyras » April 27th, 2009, 9:40 am

Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Hidjgebert and welcome to Malware Removal :)

I'm Dakeyras and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:

• I will start working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!.
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
  • Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Before we start:

Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

In light of this it would be wise for you to back up any files and folders that you don't want to lose before we start.

Fix Policies:

Download to your Desktop, FixPolicies.exe, a self-extracting ZIP archive from here.

• Double-click FixPolicies.exe
  • Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
  • The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
  • Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd.
  • A black box should briefly appear and then close.

Anti-Virus Conflict Advise:

At present you have two Anti-Virus applications installed and active in system memory:

CA Antivirus - Which appears to be part of CA Internet Security Suite.
Grisoft AVG8

This is far from ideal, a system conflict will occur and this actually lessens overall online protection. Please uninstall one of them now, thank you.

Note: As your CA Antivirus is undoubtedly subscription based I advice removing Grisoft AVG8, however the choice is yours which to uninstall.

Next:

Please download Rooter.exe to your desktop.

• Double click on Rooter to start the application.
  • A Notepad file containing the report will open, also found at %systemdrive%\Rooter.txt.
  • Post the contents of Rooter.txt in your next reply.

Next:

Please download to your desktop DDS from one of the links below:

Link1
Link2
Link3

Then Disable any script blocker you may have active/installed.

• Double click on DDS to start the application.
  • A black Screen will open, just read the contents and do nothing.
  • When the tool finish it will open 2 reports.
  • Copy/paste both reports back here and remove DDS from your desktop.

Note: Two logfiles will be generated with Notepad: DDS.txt and Attach.txt

When completed the above, please post back the following:

• Any problems encountered and or further symptoms?
  • Rooter Log.
  • Both DDS logs. <-- Post them individually please.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby djgebert » April 28th, 2009, 1:55 am

Hi Dakeyras

Thanks very much for your help. Unfortunately the decision has been made to format the computer - I'm really sorry to have taken up your time. I would have liked to keep fixing the problems, but the owner of the computer thought otherwise.

Thanks again

Daniel
djgebert

Unread postby Dakeyras » April 28th, 2009, 4:19 am

Hi :)

Thank you for the courtesy of informing myself and you are very welcome!

Below is some advice on what to do after a a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system.

Reformat and Reinstallation Advice:

• Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. Only use one Anti-Virus application, otherwise a system conflict will occur and this actually lessens online protection.
    Here are some free Anti Virus programs which I recommend to use:
    • Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
      • Free anti-virus software for Windows.
      • Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
    • avast! 4 Home Edition
        • Anti-Virus program for Windows.
        • The home edition is freeware for noncommercial users.
    • Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
    • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. Only use one Firewall application, otherwise a system conflict will occur and this actually lessens online protection.
      Here are some free Firewalls which I recommend to use:
      (Use only one, and disable your Windows Firewall)
  • Keep your system updated-Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Download it from here
    The tutorial on how to use MBAM is located here
  • Install WinPatrol - Download it from here
    You can find information about how WinPatrol works here
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
    Download it from here
    The tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster is located here
  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and the potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically. Any questions feel free to ask.
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Unread postby Elrond » April 29th, 2009, 4:17 am

djgebert. As you decided to reformat the computer this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove