Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

new system folder-tojan?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

new system folder-tojan?

Unread postby sangfroid » April 4th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Hi,

I hope you can help me. I run McAfee firewall and antivirus on an old computer running WindowsXP professional service pack 2 that is connected to a router to a fios connection to the internet. A dialup modem is in the CPU, but I never used it. I left my computer running while I did some errands and came back to find an open IE window with an "cannot connect to the internet" error message. When I closed that window, I saw a new folder on the desktop with a long run of numbers in the name. The properties window said it was a "my docs drop target" and when I looked in "my computer" it was labeled a system folder and had duplicated the folders in "My docs" under it. When I tried to save a file in Word or Wordperfect, that system folder was listed as the default folder. I scanned using both McAfee and Spydoctor and was told I have a clean system, but the new system folder is still present. A few days before I had updated Firefox, winamp, quicktime, and a biblical font program. The computer is running slower and a variety of error messages relating to windows and firefox have popped up. I have not tried all the programs on the computer. Is this a trojan and how do I get rid of it?

thanks
sangfroid
sangfroid

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: new system folder-tojan?

Unread postby NonSuch » April 4th, 2009, 4:27 pm

In order for us to help you it is necessary that you provide us with a HijackThis log. Please follow the guideline at the link below to start a new topic and post your HijackThis log.