Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Trojan.Vundo infected my computer

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Trojan.Vundo infected my computer

Unread postby fonshee » March 17th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Last edited by fonshee on March 19th, 2009, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fonshee

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby fonshee » March 17th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Hi, do you see any virus/malware that would try to retrieve banking information or other personal information? I would appreciate it if you can let me know. Also, how far are we in terms of getting my system cleaned? If we can set up some time to have one session that would be great. If not it's ok. Thanks!
fonshee

Unread postby fonshee » March 17th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Hi, sorry for the multiple post. I noticed that there was an extra colon in the script. Was this an error? I went back into the notepad and deleted the extra colon and dragged the saved file into combofix again. Now the text file disappeared. Did it work this time?
fonshee

Unread postby Axephilic » March 18th, 2009, 9:13 am

fonshee wrote:Hi, sorry for the multiple post. I noticed that there was an extra colon in the script. Was this an error? I went back into the notepad and deleted the extra colon and dragged the saved file into combofix again. Now the text file disappeared. Did it work this time?

Please never do this again. ComboFix is an extremely sensitive tool and the extra colon was not extra but part of the script. It was not an error. All of my posts are double, even triple checked for accuracy.

I didn't see anything in any of your logs that would steal any info, just annoying stuff. We are almost done, I hope.

Run ComboFix

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the codebox below into it:

Code: Select all
Folder::
c:\program files\BitTorrent

Save this as "CFScript.txt", and as Type: All Files (*.*) in the same location as ComboFix.exe

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

Update Java
Your JRE is out of date. The current version is Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 12.

1. Click on Start > Control Panel and double click on Add/Remove Programs. Locatethe following entries and click on Change/Remove to uninstall them:

Adobe Reader 7.1.0
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    Java(TM) 6 Update 11
    Java(TM) 6 Update 2
    Java(TM) 6 Update 3
    Java(TM) 6 Update 5
    Java(TM) 6 Update 7
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
  2. Click here to visit Java's website.
  3. Select Windows from the drop-down list for Platform.
  4. Select Multi-language from the drop-down list for Language.
  5. Check (tick) I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement box and click on Continue.
  6. Click on jre-6u12-windows-i586-p.exe link to download it and save this to a convenient location.
  7. Run this installation to update your Java.

Now you can close Add/Remove Programs.

Update Adobe Reader
Recently there have been vunerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version. Adobe Reader 9. Please uninstall all old versions of Adobe Reader and then you can download the newest version from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html If you already have Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition.

In your next reply, please include:
  1. ComboFix log
  2. A new HijackThis log

Regards,
Adam
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby fonshee » March 19th, 2009, 2:23 am

Combofix:
Last edited by fonshee on March 19th, 2009, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fonshee

Unread postby Axephilic » March 19th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Congratulations, you are now all clean! To help to prevent from becoming reinfected, please follow the instructions below in order. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. If after 48 hours you have not responded to this, then I will assume you have no questions and have the topic closed.

First, lets uninstall ComboFix:

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

Flush the system restore points

1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
  2. Select the System Restore tab.
  3. Check (tick) Turn off system restore on all drives box.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Uncheck (untick) Turn off system restore on all drives box.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Restart your computer.
Note: Do this only ONCE, don't flush it regularly.

Keep your system updated

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and Office products regularly to patch up Windows and Office products loopholes and fix any bugs found. Please ensure that you visit the following websites regularly or do update your system regularly.

Install the updates immediately if they are found. Reboot your computer if necessary, revisit Windows Update and Office update sites until there are no more updates to be installed.

To update Windows and office

Go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft Update

Alternatively, you can visit the link below to update Windows and Office products.

Microsoft Update

I also recommend, if it's not already on, to enable Automatic updates. It will notify you whenever there are new updates available. Here's how:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates
  2. Select Automatic (recommended) radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded and installed without prompting you.
  3. Select Download updates for me, but let me chose when to install them radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded automatically but to be installed at another time.
  4. Select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them radio button if you want to be notified of the updates.

Besides Windows that needs regular updating, antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall programs update regularly too.

Please make sure that you update your antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware programs at least once a week.

Surf safely

Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Using Firefox with NoScript add-on helps to prevent most exploits from running as NoScript by default disables all scripts on all websites. If you trust the website, you can manually allow it.

If you prefer to use Internet Explorer, here are some settings to change to improve the security of Internet Explorer.

For Internet Explorer 7

Please read this article to configure Internet Explorer 7 properly.

Backup regularly

You never know when your PC will become unstable or become so infected that you can't recover it. Follow this Microsoft article to learn how to backup. Follow this article by Microsoft to restore your backups.

Alternatively, you can use 3rd-party programs to back up your data. One example can be found at Bleeping Computer.

Avoid P2P

P2P may be a great way to get lots of stuffs, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. If you do need to use them, use them sparingly. Check this list of clean and infected P2P programs if you need to use one.

Prevent a re-infection

1. Winpatrol
    Winpatrol is heuristic protection program, meaning it looks for patterns in codes that work like malware. It also takes a snapshot of your system's critical resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without you knowing. You can read more about Winpatrol's features here.

You can get a free copy of Winpatrol or use the Plus version for more features.

You can read Winpatrol's FAQ if you run into problems.

2. Hosts File
    A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your PC will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

MVPS Hosts File
    Bluetack's Hosts File
    Bluetack's Host Manager
    hpHosts

A tutorial about Hosts File can be found at Malware Removal.

3. Spybot Search and Destroy
    Spybot Search & Destroy is another program for scanning spywares and adwares. Not only so, it has other preventive options as well. You are strongly encouraged to run a scan at least once per week.

Spybot Search & Destroy can be downloaded from here.

If you need help in using Spybot Search & Destroy, you can read Spybot Search and Destroy tutorial at Bleeping Computer.

Before downloading any anti-spyware programs, always check the Rogue/Suspect list of anti-spyware programs and Malwarebytes RogueNET. This will save you from a lot of trouble. If in doubt, don't ever download it.

4. SiteHound Toolbar
    SiteHound is a toolbar that warns you if you go to a site that is known to scam people, that has potentially lots of viruses or spywares or has questionable contents. If you know the site, you can enter it; if you don't, it will bring you back to the previous page. Currently, SiteHound works for Internet Explorer and Firefox only.

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!

The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Happy surfing and stay clean!

Regards,
Adam
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby fonshee » March 19th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Adam, thank you for your help and time. I really appreciate it!
fonshee

Unread postby Axephilic » March 19th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Your welcome. :)
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby NonSuch » March 19th, 2009, 10:17 pm

As this issue has been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous