Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

am i doing this right??

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: am i doing this right??

Unread postby John B. » March 11th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Hi Peggy,

i did the stuff you had suggested but i'm wondering, since i deleted everything in add/remove programs that said "java", do i need to add some new java?? (i try to avoid touching anything that says "java" normally, cuz everytime i do, it really screws up my 'puter!!)

Oh my, how stupid of me to forget editing out the part where I tell you to remove ALL versions. You had the newest version already so removing that one would not have been needed. Well, redownloading and installing is no problem:
  • Download Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 12 from here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
  • As Platform select your operating system, agree to the License Agreement and click Continue.
  • Now click on the link under Windows Offline Installation and download the installer to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.
  • Reboot your computer.

also, something weird on my 'puter is that i did a trend housecall scan and it found adware_memwatcher but it wasn't able to fix it and it wouldn't give me any info on what or where it is, but the weird thing is that i ran adaware, zone alarm antivirus & spyware, & spybot and they all found nothing?? not even spyware?? i'm afraid this reminds me of an old 'puter/prob/thing i had two or three years ago, i don't remember exactly but seemed like first it did that (found no infections on my 'puter when there had to be some!!), then it went to where i couldn't ever finish an anti-v anti-s scan at all, and eventually killed that 'puter entirely, but maybe i'm just a lil loopy??

Some programs target stuff that other programs totally miss. That is why we run several scans and advice to have several programs on your computer. Is the adware_memwatcher still found after the MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware scan? It could also be that it is detecting a false positive. This means that it thinks something good is malware. If Housecall still finds it, let me know which file it finds (and the path to the file). For instance C:\badfolder\badfile.exe.

uh-oh, i have another lil prob, my home page and my yahoo email page don't load right now!! this page and msn did load ok (those are the only 4 i've tried!!) but i don't have any idea how to fix yahoo email or my home page (which is msnbc.com), please help if you can

Wasn't it a temporary problem? Reboot your computer, restart your router and modem and wait for half an hour and most problems are fixed ;)

Please post a new HijackThis log and tell me about any problems you still have.

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 11th, 2009, 3:51 pm

thanks!! k, here's my next dumb question--how do i know what operating system i'm using?? i thought it was windows xp, but my choices are windows, windows intel itanium, windows x 64 or linux something or something else i've never heard of, solartis maybe?? and on the trend thing, i couldn't find a way to let me see the file path, but maybe it's gone now, i'll do another scan and check, but i think i may need to fix the java thing before i can do it. ugh, what is java, other than a nightmare?? thanks!!
silverheelsbell

Unread postby John B. » March 11th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Your platform is just 'Windows'. All the other are special types.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 12th, 2009, 1:03 am

ugh, i hate 'puters!! i've tried installing & deleting java over & over all day, but i still can't get all the pages to load right--if some get better, then others get worse!! rather than look normal, they will look like mostly just rows of words, a lot of blank spaces, not many pictues. maybe it isn't java, i don't know?? oh, and sorry for my mistake deleting the new java too, i should have known what ya meant!! thanks again!! here's the hijack this-thingy, i think?? ... (ugh, i still hate 'puters!!)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:55:23 PM, on 3/11/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18372)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe
C:\Program Files\Fisher-Price\DACS\MiniApp\DACSMiniApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\mantispm.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe" /hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DACSMiniApp] C:\Program Files\Fisher-Price\DACS\MiniApp\DACSMiniApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DW6] "C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop\DesktopWeather.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Windows Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.gateway.com
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/house ... hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... 9389321640
O16 - DPF: {9A57B18E-2F5D-11D5-8997-00104BD12D94} (compid Class) - http://support.gateway.com/support/seri ... /gwCID.CAB
O16 - DPF: {B7D07999-2ADB-4AEB-997E-F61CB7B2E2CD} (TSEasyInstallX Control) - http://www.trendsecure.com/easy_install ... stallX.CAB
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: LVCOMSer - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft RemoteAssist - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SupportSoft\bin\ssrc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 6588 bytes
silverheelsbell

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 12th, 2009, 1:11 am

maybe i should mention that i found a place to verify my java install and it said i had the right version or whatever, and also this malware site loads just fine, but it's one of the few i've found that still seem to load ok. thanks!!
silverheelsbell

Unread postby John B. » March 12th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Hi,

i've tried installing & deleting java over & over all day, but i still can't get all the pages to load right--if some get better, then others get worse!! rather than look normal, they will look like mostly just rows of words, a lot of blank spaces, not many pictues. maybe it isn't java, i don't know??

It is not Java which is doing this, so please install version 6 update 12 and then stay away from Java ;)

oh, and sorry for my mistake deleting the new java too, i should have known what ya meant!!

Nope, my mistake.

I see that you have the newest version of Internet Explorer (version 8) installed. As this version is still in development it could very well be a problem with that. Or do pages also load wrong with Firefox?

Also, you may want to send me an image of what a wrong loaded page looks like. To do that go to a website which does not work on your computer. Then press oa button on your keyboard called Print Screen (or sometimes Pnrt Scrn or something like that).

Then open Paint and press Ctrl + V. Now the picture should be in Paint. Save it somewhere you can find it and then attach it to a post to this topic. You can do that a little under where you type the text for the reply.

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 12th, 2009, 4:04 pm

um, i found the print screen, it's on the top of a button that says systq under it, but when i push the button it doesn't do anything, i tried doing it with shift, alt, control, i don't know? also what is paint? where do i find it?
thanks! you are awesome for helping me so much with all this! (and i'll leave java alone now, i promise, thanks!!)
silverheelsbell

Unread postby John B. » March 12th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Hi,

When you press the Print Screen button nothing happens at all ;) That is normal...

You will find Paint this way:
  • Click 'Start'
  • Choose 'All programs'
  • Go to 'Accessories'
  • Then there must be one called 'Paint'. Click that one

A window should pop up. Now press Ctrl + V (so hold them at the same time). The picture/moment you had captured with the Print Screen button should now appear.

Then go to 'File' and choose 'Save'. Save it to a convenient place and then when writing a reply to me 'Browse' to the file and add it as attachment.

Also let me know if you also get those strange pages with Firefox (if you ever use it).

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 17th, 2009, 12:27 am

don't delete this post, please!! i'll get to responding by tomorrow!! pd
silverheelsbell

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 18th, 2009, 1:09 am

k, so i'm kinda lost with where we are. the strange look to some web pages seems to have fixed itself (yay! love how 'puters do that!) but yup firefox was doing it too (and mainly!). anyways, um, i think i had an epiphany (however one spells that crazy word!)--i need to change it my zonealarm anti-virus to trend anti-v so i've started that process but i can't finish til tomorrow, i think that whatever (fictional?) virus/bug thingy that killed my old 'puter (several 'puters back!) i got with zonealarm but then i didn't get it with trend. and the trend free scan (which i've done many times now) gets to the end and says i have this memwatcher adaware but won't give me the addy for it, and when i hit "fix" or "clean", it won't ever finish fixing it--trend says it has a technical error every single time w/ 5 mins of the fix it stuff left to go!! so tomorrow, i'll try hunting down this (possibly imaginary, i'll admit it, umechanics and those sorts say i've sent them on wild witch-hunts before) but or whatever and then i'll post and let ya know what i find, k? thanks soo much! sorry to be a pain!
silverheelsbell

Unread postby John B. » March 18th, 2009, 11:36 am

Hi,

After finding some information about MemWatcher I concluded that it is not reallly a virus. It is probably a 'potentially unwanted program' which basically means that if it is not set correctly it could be dangerous.

Please do this:
  • Go to Start
  • Click My Computer
  • Choose C:\
  • Browse to Program Files
  • Then see if in that list there is a folder called MemWatcher or something like that.

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 18th, 2009, 9:55 pm

ok, there wasn't but your probably right, i couldn't get trend anyways, is there anything left on here i was to do or were we done? thanks!! pdb
silverheelsbell

Unread postby John B. » March 19th, 2009, 10:18 am

Hi Peggy,

This is my normal post for when you are clear - which you now are - or seem to be.
Please advise of any problems you still have. If you think you're clean please give one more reply so that I can archive this topic.

Now that you are clean, I got some tips & tricks for you to keep your computer clean and secure. The first few (like making your Internet Explorer more secure and Windows Update) have to be done, the others are optional (beginning with SpywareBlaster).

It may seem like your system will be too much protected with all these things installed, but a lot of programs aren't running always on the background so don't slow down your computer. Please take a look at the following things:
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  • Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. You can download it here:
    SpywareBlaster
  • Install WinPatrol - As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You can download it from this website:
    WinPatrol
    The developer is a well-known man in the MalWare Removal business. If you really like WinPatrol think about upgrading to the PLUS version. It will give you additional features and you will only have to pay once, for your whole malware-free life.
  • Install MVPS HOSTS - This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial here:
    WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
  • Use an alternative Internet Browser - Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different browser instead:
    Firefox << Most used, I use this one myself.
    Opera
  • Bookmark general cleanup link - It could be that your computer is becoming slower and slower. This is not always the cause of malware. Most of the times it's malware when you're computer is suddenly getting slow or doing strange. When the slowdown increases slowly, check (so now bookmark) this link for tips & tricks:
    What to do if your Computer's running slowly
  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Stand Up and Be Counted!
Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints called Malware Complaints. Please register there first! Then follow the instructions here:
http://images.malwarecomplaints.info/We ... general=on

>> Here << you can see how you can help us.

May your God go with you..

John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 19th, 2009, 8:09 pm

those are great suggestions--thank you--& i don't think i'll ever feel like i have "too much protection" so i will definately do them all, but first i have a couple more things if it's ok...

one thing my 'puter has still been doing is turning itself on & off at random (other's have noticed this as well, i promise!) and just yesterday, i opened up firefox (i use that one too) and it went to first one strange webpage, then another, then finally to my homepage.

also, i'm wondering what is supportsoft software/dna editor? it never used to be in my all programs til just the last couple days or so and i really don't recall downloading anything that said that...

the other thing is i really don't trust zonealarm antivirus (i didn't even mean to have it as my antivirus--i had trend & thought i was renewing that through an email without realizing i was actually getting zonealarm instead--ugh--i'm so spacey!) so i'm doing the 30day free trial of a new antivirus--dr.webcureit--something like that--do you know if it's a good one or not? should i buy it after the trial or do you know a better antivirus to recommend? it found one thing so far is all but i haven't had time to do a complete scan yet, after which i think i will finally feel like my 'puter is safe!!

Thanks soo much!! all your time, effort, patience, & knowledge has been soo appreciated!! i wish you well!! pd
silverheelsbell

Unread postby silverheelsbell » March 19th, 2009, 9:47 pm

one more thing, sorry, when i run a scan using dr.web, should i have the hiestrics thingy on or off, would ya think? thanks!
silverheelsbell

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!