Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Firefox: Google search engine redirecting : ? malware

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Firefox: Google search engine redirecting : ? malware

Unread postby gaijingeisha » March 11th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Hi again John

The Windows LIve Game I use nightly is the Jigsaw Too puzzle. Where as previously I was getting the message that the games were not available, I am now actually getting to the point where the game will begin to download but then hangs up at the "Loading" point. I exit out of the window and sometimes the other party or I will try again by inviting again but this time from the other computer. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Last night for example, it did not work from either of our computers. HOwever we were able to play Uno. So I don't know what the problem is exactly. But it is definitely frustrating. With respect to your final comment in your previous message about reporting the problems with malware to the Canadian authorities, were you able to determine exactly what malware I had (was it just the Trojan that AVG found) or was there something else? I ask because the malware reporting forums ask what type of malware was found. Also do you have any thoughts on how this might have come onto my system through the firewall and antivirus protection which are up to date?
gaijingeisha

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby John B. » March 11th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Hi,

The Windows LIve Game I use nightly is the Jigsaw Too puzzle. Where as previously I was getting the message that the games were not available, I am now actually getting to the point where the game will begin to download but then hangs up at the "Loading" point. I exit out of the window and sometimes the other party or I will try again by inviting again but this time from the other computer. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Last night for example, it did not work from either of our computers. HOwever we were able to play Uno. So I don't know what the problem is exactly. But it is definitely frustrating.

Try playing the game from here:
http://zone.msn.com/en/general/article/ ... engergames
Click the right game and follow the instructions.

Let me know if that works.

With respect to your final comment in your previous message about reporting the problems with malware to the Canadian authorities, were you able to determine exactly what malware I had (was it just the Trojan that AVG found) or was there something else? I ask because the malware reporting forums ask what type of malware was found.

Your main infection was this:
http://research.sunbelt-software.com/th ... id=4064180
And then there was some more random/unnamed stuff.

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby gaijingeisha » March 11th, 2009, 5:15 pm

New infection found by AVG

Hi John

AVG just completed a scan and reported the following:
P2P-worm.win32 logpole.c as a high risk infection which I have quarantined as well as Kazaa lite goop.28 which I have also quarantined. How are these getting into my system? Any thoughts?
gaijingeisha

Unread postby John B. » March 12th, 2009, 12:31 pm

Hi,

Do you have peer-to-peer software installed again or are you going to dangerous websites? Please keep in mind that the most important security of your computer is your brain. Make sure you do not do stupid, unsafe things and think twice before you click a link.

Now, what files are exactly detected? (filename and path)

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby gaijingeisha » March 12th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re Peer to Peer and dangerous sites:

Hello again John

I once used LImewire but removed it quite some time ago. I did find some remaining files on the computer today by doing a search which I removed manually. I generally only use Firefox, my main websites are pretty mainstream (CNN, Drudgereport, my banking and financial sites, some online dating ie Plentyoffish and Lavalife). I also don't open suspicious emails or play online games except the ones on Messenger. I am a 54 year old woman so my shopping sites include eBay and Paypal but I am pretty careful at checking that I am at the legitimate sites before I enter any information. I do have auto updates selected for my Windows XP and Microsoft products. And I don't mind buying programs for a higher level of security. Still I am stumped as to how these things get through. Have just updated my AVG to Ver 8.5. I am noticing a delay in the browser opening now so I will check your link on what to do if the computer is slowing down. As to the files that were found yesterday, I cant find the log file which shows their path. They were auto detected and quarantined during a regular scan.

I will definitely be recommending your site to others and thank you for all your assistance.
gaijingeisha

Unread postby John B. » March 13th, 2009, 3:13 am

Alright, just thought I'd mention the thing about surfing habits as I cannot look throug the internet cable to you and your computer ;) It's always a guess who you're talking with.

Your security is alright, so the only things that come in should be little trojans that are easily deleted.

How are the Windows Live Games working with the link I provided?

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby gaijingeisha » March 13th, 2009, 1:51 pm

Good morning John,

The link you sent does not load the games either before or after opening the Windows Live Messenger window. :roll: this is so frustrating. Is it because the active X controls are limited some how with the settings previously described.?
gaijingeisha

Unread postby John B. » March 14th, 2009, 4:45 am

Hi,

It was already happening before the settings were changed. You can look back.

When you open this link choose a game:
http://zone.msn.com/en/general/article/ ... engergames
Make sure you are doing this with Internet Explorer. Also make sure you are logged in with Windows Live Messenger.

Then after choosing a game you may have to install ActiveX. If not, Windows Live Messenger will after a couple of seconds ask how to play the game with. I did not have to install the ActiveX and it worked for me.

Please let me know.

Regards,
John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » March 20th, 2009, 12:29 am

Due to a lack of activity, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous