Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

HJT log included; need help with Generic!Artemis and others

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

HJT log included; need help with Generic!Artemis and others

Unread postby funkybunch » February 15th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Hello:
I recently plugged in my external Hard Drive and my McAfee immediately stated that it had quarantined a file that was on my external hard drive. It labeled the virus Generic!Artemis. When I finally figured out how to look at my McAfee quarantine folders, I realized that there were other quarantined files as well (on a side note, I believe that the Artemis file was a false/positive since it said that infected file was my WD hard drive's .exe file). At the suggestion of a McAfee forum helper, I ran Malwarebytes using quick scan and it found 13 infections that it said it successfully quarantined and deleted (I can post that log if the moderator so wishes). I was also instructed to run a HJT report and post the log to the wonderful people at Malware Removal. Besides the Artemis infection, some of the quarantined files were a Vundo! infection. I immediately recognized that file since about a month ago I paid McAfee to fix that issue since it had taken over my computer. It not only shut off my firewall and antivirus but continually sent me pop-ups. Although I though the problem was fixed, there are apparently still quarantined files. I am currently not experiencing any major problem with my computer except for the quarantined viruses and my notification area doesn't work. By this I mean that absolutely no notification balloons that used to pop up (in the notification area by the clock) pop up anymore, regardless of the software manufacturer (meaning not just security bulletins from Microsoft). I apologize in advance for such a lengthy post but I wanted to give you as much information as possible so that you would be able to help me. Thanks for all of your help!! HJT log is posted below:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:28:53 PM, on 2/15/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Broadcom\ASFIPMon\AsfIpMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Small Business\Business Contact Manager\BcmSqlStartupSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SafeConnect\scManager.sys
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\StacSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Trusted Drive Manager\TdmService.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WebUpdateSvc4.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Software Secure, Inc\SSIRuntimeService\SSIRuntimeService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\Quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SafeConnect\scClient.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=%s
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://partnerpage.google.com/smallbiz. ... bd=0080318
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: HP Print Clips - {053F9267-DC04-4294-A72C-58F732D338C0} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_framework.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {49AEF9FF-E393-4DD3-BCE1-D8C8BD5EB5E8} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtUomNfe.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {6EE15481-2636-41F5-A2F4-C351483A9715} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvUMdDu.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\Quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Desktop Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SafeConnect.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: HP Clipbook - {58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {700259D7-1666-479a-93B1-3250410481E8} - C:\Program Files\HP\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_extensions.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microso ... 6225143500
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: sdwwtc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: gemsafe - C:\Program Files\Gemplus\GemSafe Libraries\BIN\WLEventNotify.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\G2AWinLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Broadcom ASF IP and SMBIOS Mailbox Monitor (ASFIPmon) - Broadcom Corporation - C:\Program Files\Broadcom\ASFIPMon\AsfIpMon.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SafeConnect Manager (SCManager) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SafeConnect\scManager.sys servicestart (file missing)
O23 - Service: SecureStorageService - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Secure Storage Manager\SecureStorageService.exe
O23 - Service: SSIRuntimeService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Software Secure, Inc\SSIRuntimeService\SSIRuntimeService.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\StacSV.exe
O23 - Service: NTRU TSS v1.2.1.25 TCS (tcsd_win32.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\tcsd_win32.exe
O23 - Service: TdmService - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Trusted Drive Manager\TdmService.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: WaveEnrollmentService - Wave Systems Corp. - C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Authentication Manager\WaveEnrollmentService.exe
O23 - Service: Web Update Wizard Service V4 (WebUpdate4) - Data Perceptions / PowerProgrammer - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WebUpdateSvc4.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

--
End of file - 11772 bytes
funkybunch

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: HJT log included; need help with Generic!Artemis and others

Unread postby dan12 » February 19th, 2009, 7:01 am

welcome to malwareremoval forums

My name is Dan, and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please note! that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Perform all actions in the order given.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with it till you're given the all clear.
  • REMEMBER, ABSENCE OF SYMPTOMS DOES NOT MEAN THE INFECTION IS ALL GONE.
If you can do these things, everything should go smoothly.
  • Please note you'll need to have Administrator priviledges to perform the fixes. (XP accounts are Administrator by default)
  • Please let me know if you are using a computer with multiple accounts, as this can affect the instructions given.

Unless informed of in advance, failure to post replies within 5 days will result in this thread being closed.

It may be helpful to you to print out or take a copy of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Installed Programs

Please could you give me a list of the programs that are installed.
  • Start HijackThis
  • Click on the Misc Tools button
  • Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
You will see a list with the programs installed in your computer.
Click on save list button and specify where you would like to save this file.
When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.
Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad into your next post.

I'm presently looking over your log and hope not to be too long.
Will be back with you as soon as I can.
Thanks dan
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby funkybunch » February 19th, 2009, 11:16 am

Hey Dan:

Thanks for your help! Here is the information that you requested:

2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)
32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer
Adobe Acrobat 8.1.0 Standard
Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Standard
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
AIM 6
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensor Minimum Install
biolsp patch
BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.3
BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.3
Bonjour
Broadcom ASF Management Applications
Broadcom Management Programs
Browser Address Error Redirector
Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 SP1
Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 SP1
Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem
Dell Drivers MSI
Dell Embassy Trust Suite by Wave Systems
Dell Touchpad
Digital Line Detect
Document Manager Lite
EMBASSY Security Center
EMBASSY Security Setup
EMBASSY Trust Suite by Wave Systems
ESC Home Page Plugin
Gemalto
GemSafe Standard Edition 5.1
GoToAssist 8.0.0.480
High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
HijackThis 2.0.2
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB922981)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB923319)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
Hotfix for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)
Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 (KB939683)
Hotfix for Windows XP (KB952287)
HP Customer Participation Program 9.0
HP Imaging Device Functions 9.0
HP OCR Software 9.0
HP Photosmart All-In-One Software 9.0
HP Photosmart Essential 2.01
HP Smart Web Printing
HP Solution Center 9.0
HP Update
HPSSupply
Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software
IntelliSonic Speech Enhancement
iTunes
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
McAfee SecurityCenter
mCore
mDrWiFi
mHlpDell
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components
Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies
Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Small Business 2007
Microsoft Office Small Business 2007
Microsoft Office Small Business Connectivity Components
Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (MSSMLBIZ)
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
mIWA
mLogView
mMHouse
MobileMe Control Panel
Modem Diagnostic Tool
Mozilla Firefox (3.0.6)
mPfMgr
mPfWiz
mProSafe
mSCfg
mSSO
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
mWlsSafe
mWMI
mZConfig
NetWaiting
NTRU TCG Software Stack
NVIDIA Drivers
PowerDVD
Preboot Manager
Private Information Manager
QuickSet
QuickTime
Roxio Media Manager
SafeConnect
SearchAssist
Secure Update
Securexam Student
Securexam Student
Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951550)
Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951944)
Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB958439)
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB958437)
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB951338)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (KB950114)
Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB954326)
Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB956828)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB956358)
Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB923723)
Security Update for Visio 2007 (KB947590)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB938127)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB950759)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB960714)
Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB961260)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB952069)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB936782)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 (KB954154)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950582)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376-v2)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB953839)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954211)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954459)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB955069)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956391)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956803)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957095)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB957097)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB958687)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960715)
Security Wizards
TBS WMP Plug-in
Trusted Drive Manager
tsp patch
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB952142)
Update for Office 2007 (KB946691)
Update for Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (kb959634)
Update for Windows XP (KB951072-v2)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Update for Windows XP (KB955839)
upekmsi
Viewpoint Media Player
Wave Infrastructure Installer
Wave Support Software
Web Update Wizard (Redistributable) 4.0
Webshots Desktop
Windows Installer Clean Up
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Media Player 11
Windows XP Service Pack 3
funkybunch

Unread postby dan12 » February 19th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Optional Fix

I see that Viewpoint is installed. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player are Viewpoint components which are installed as a side effect of installing other software, most notably AOL and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Viewpoint Manager is responsible for managing and updating Viewpoint Media Player’s components. You can disable this using the Viewpoint Manager Control Panel found in the Windows Control Panel menu. By selecting Disable auto-updating for the Viewpoint Manager -- the player will no longer attempt to check for updates. Anything that is installed without your consent is suspect. Read what Viewpoint says and make your own decision.
To provide a satisfying consumer experience and to operate effectively, the Viewpoint Media Player periodically sends information to servers at Viewpoint. Each installation of the Viewpoint Media Player is identifiable to Viewpoint via a Customer Unique Identifier (CUID), an alphanumeric identifier embedded in the Viewpoint Media Player. The Viewpoint Media Player randomly generates the CUID during installation and uses it to indicate a unique installation of the product. A CUID is never connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information. CUIDs are used for the sole purpose of filtering redundant information. Each of these information exchanges occurs anonymously.

Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without user's approval but doesn't spy or do anything bad. This may change,read Viewpoint to Plunge Into Adware.

I recommend that you remove the Viewpoint products; however, decide for yourself.

To uninstall the the Viewpoint components :
  1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. In Add or Remove Programs, highlight >>Viewpoint component<< , click Remove.

How to prevent it from being recreated every time you run the AOL software:
    • Open AOL
    • Go to Help on the toolbar
    • Select About AOL
    • Hit Ctrl D and a secret panel can be accessed which will allow you to disable all desktop and IM features associated with Viewpoint.

Download and run Combofix
This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.
ComboFix SHOULD NOT be used unless requested by a forum helper

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
When finished, it will produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.

If you need help, see this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
----------------------------------------------
Post back:
Combofix report.
A new HijackThis log.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » February 24th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!