Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Laptop has massive problems

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Laptop has massive problems

Unread postby dan12 » February 14th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Ok, will await the scan report.
How big is your hardrive? what space you have available?
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 14th, 2009, 7:12 pm

I'm not sure what's going on!! I left my house this morning at 5:00 am. Before leaving, I restarted Kaspersky....AFTER shutting down ALL programs. I came back 12 hours later, and it's at 1%. My hard drive is 1.79 ghz with 960 mb ram available.
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby dan12 » February 14th, 2009, 7:19 pm

It does seem to be taking a long time for these scans to process.
will look into it and get back to you tomorrow. :)

Let's see if we can have any luck with this online scanner,we have a couple of tools yet we can try.
Note for Vista Users: Eset is compatible but Internet Explorer must be run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.

Please go to Eset website to perform an online scan. Please use Internet Explorer as it uses ActiveX.

1. Check (tick) this box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click on the Start button next to it.
  3. When prompted to run ActiveX. click Yes.
  4. You will be asked to install an ActiveX. Click Install.
  5. Once installed, the scanner will be initialized.
  6. After the scanner is initialized, click Start.
  7. Uncheck (untick) Remove found threats box.
  8. Check (tick) Scan unwanted applications.
  9. Click on Scan.
  10. It will start scanning. Please be patient.
  11. Once the scan is done, you will find a log in C:\Program Files\esetonlinescanner\log.txt. Please post this log in your next reply.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 14th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Well, I tried that one twice and it shut down Internet Explorer both times after hitting "start". Hmm. I'm running under Administrator.
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby dan12 » February 15th, 2009, 8:24 am

Not sure why your having this problem at the moment. I'm assuming your running these scans from Internet explorer?
Give Panda a run
PANDA ONLINE SCAN

Please go >here< to run Panda's ActiveScan
  • Once you are on the Panda site, click the Scan your PC now button
  • A new window will open...click the Scan Now button
  • Allow the ActiveX control to be installed. It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan. Note: This may take a couple of minutes
  • Run the ActiveX control, if requested. The screen will then show the scanning progress - the scan will take a while to finish. Please be patient.
  • When the scan has finished, click on Export To
  • Save the file as Activescan.txt to your Desktop
  • Close the Activescan window then go to your Desktop
  • Double-click on Activescan.txt and it will open in Notepad
  • In Notepad, click Edit > Select all, then Edit > Copy
  • Reply to this thread and click Ctrl+V to paste the log in your reply

let me know how it goes.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 15th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Yes, I'm using Internet Explorer and running as Administrator. I'll try Panda tonight and hope it goes better.
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 15th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Well, just to let you know Panda's been running for six hours, and it's at 15%. It says so far it's found infected files, so I guess all I can do is let it run. No telling WHEN it'll finally finish though. It's never taken this long to do a virus scan, so I have no idea why it's running so slow. Very weird, but at least it's running, right?
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby dan12 » February 15th, 2009, 6:54 pm

From your malwarebytes scan the scanned files and folders are in the six digit numbers, normally it's only around the 5 digit mark.You need to have a good clear out of unused programs you don't use any more and reduce the clutter some what :)
I will use a tool to reduce some of the unwanted/redundant files.
let me know how the scan goes.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 15th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Ok, I'd appreciate help with the clutter. I remove programs I don't use, but I don't know how to get rid of leftover files. The scan is still running...it's still at 15%. It hasn't moved in the past hour and a half.
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby dan12 » February 15th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Well look through your programs decide which you don't use any more,folders you may of created but are not doing anything apart from taking up space.
Games, video files which take up enormous space. If you would like to keep a lot, transfer it to some portable media or external hardrive to free up space on the pc, anything you don't use,that said you need to know what your deleting not just deleting anything that your not sure of or we may have more issues. :(
when was the last time you defragged the system?
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 15th, 2009, 10:38 pm

It's probably been about a month since I defragged. I think I'll do this...I'm going to stop the scan because it's STILL only at 15%. I'll delete files and folders that I KNOW are safe to remove. Like I said before, I've already removed programs I don't use before. I'll see if I can see any leftover folders. I'll defrag. Then, I'll restart the Panda scan. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 15th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Ok, I have a folder on my computer that I know I know I don't need because I created it myself. I created it to move files from my desktop to this laptop. The folder is: C:\My Backup -- 07-03-08 0857PM. The things I wanted to keep, I moved out of that folder. So I tried deleting the rest of the folder, and it won't let me. It's saying these files are in use:

bootmgr.exe.mui

Sooo...what is that file and how do I get rid of that folder? I'll go back to deleting other things I don't need in the meantime, and running the defrag.
thesheetsfamily

Unread postby dan12 » February 16th, 2009, 9:34 am

I created it to move files from my desktop to this laptop
Can you give me more information regarding the files you moved.
Are they programs you wanted to keep, games , video's, have you installed these programs on the laptop?
What is that folder a backup of?
Any information you may have will help.
Will catch you later. Leave that folder for now untill I establish what your tying to delete
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dan12 » February 16th, 2009, 9:34 am

edit: posted in error.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby thesheetsfamily » February 16th, 2009, 11:18 am

dan12 wrote:
I created it to move files from my desktop to this laptop
Can you give me more information regarding the files you moved.
Are they programs you wanted to keep, games , video's, have you installed these programs on the laptop?
What is that folder a backup of?
Any information you may have will help.
Will catch you later. Leave that folder for now untill I establish what your tying to delete

It was over two years ago, so I don't remember everything I moved. I know there were two programs I was trying to keep...LView Pro and MS Photo Editor, an old school program from Win 98. But I like it. If I remember correctly, they were both in a Program Files folder, and I just moved the whole folder. But like I said, that was two years ago, so I don't remember. There were no games or videos. Those two programs I wanted to keep are on the laptop now. There are TONS of files in that My Backup folder...Program Files and Windows folders.
thesheetsfamily

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext