Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Error 1058 starting WinUpdate Svs / other odd behavior

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Error 1058 starting WinUpdate Svs / other odd behavior

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 8:44 am

Dan, quick side note on two new issues - there is a new icon on my desktop that says it was created at a time when I wasn't home.
It's named Denise and the icon matches the HJT icon. I'm not sure how that got there.
Also, since running ComboFix IE is not the default browser but it is the browser Outlook chooses to open for links.

Are you still having these Issues?

There's another pc on this network - should I run scans there?

Are these home pc's? You would need to submit a fresh thread for the other machine

Is there anything I should do different to protect the computers in the future?

I will be addressing this in my closing speech

------------------------

I see you are using Wild Tangent. It is not malware, but is sometimes thought to bring malware along. Unless you are an extremely avid games player, I recommend you fix this...

Wild Tangent is a video game software company specializing in online games. It has even made a partnership with AOL to include itself as part of the AOL Instant Messenger for their AIM games section.
The WildTangent Web Driver is their technology that allows you to play 3D games over the Internet. Although it's not technically considered spyware, it does have built in components to update itself and gather information about the computer system including
  • Operating System Version
  • CPU Type and Speed
  • Memory Amount
    Video Card type and Driver Version
  • Sound Card type and Driver Version
  • DirectX Version
    Location that the Web Driver was installed from
  • It is also a MAJOR resource hog.

----------------------------------

I noticed you have allowed some sites into your trusted zone!
If you use these sites frequently, and trust the sites, and are comfortable leaving these entries in your Trusted Zone, that's up to you.
however, realize that you are taking a big security risk by allowing any site to have unfettered access to your Trusted Zone.
This is your call it's your machine, I can only advise you.

Run HijackThis, select Do a system scan only and place checks against the following entries (if they are still present)

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.dailyspark.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://resources.hewitt.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.mcafee.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://assets2.sparkpeople.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://mailbox.sparkpeople.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.sparkpeople.com
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: vmyvan.dll

WITH ALL OTHER WINDOWS CLOSED Click on Fix Checked and exit

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

***Please close any instances of Internet Explorer before continuing!***

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location.

Then download and install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11.

Post back a fresh HJT log and the java report
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 3rd, 2009, 11:13 am

Can't thank you enough for your help so far - I'm sure you hear that all the time but I knew this was so beyond my ability to fix and you are doing an outstanding job of not only providing support but doing so in a way that inspires my confidence.
:)

Dan, quick side note on two new issues - there is a new icon on my desktop that says it was created at a time when I wasn't home.
It's named Denise and the icon matches the HJT icon. I'm not sure how that got there.
Also, since running ComboFix IE is not the default browser but it is the browser Outlook chooses to open for links.

Are you still having these Issues?

No- I deleted (not recycled) the weird desktop icon without opening. I also went back into Foxfire options and made it the default browser.

There's another pc on this network - should I run scans there?

Are these home pc's? You would need to submit a fresh thread for the other machine

yes, these are home pc's and while the other doesn't have symtoms I may poke around it and submit a different thread if needed - thanks!
------------------------

I see you are using Wild Tangent. It is not malware, but is sometimes thought to bring malware along. Unless you are an extremely avid games player, I recommend you fix this...

Not a big gamer - they were installed on the laptop when purchased. Should I just uninstall these? If so should I use the HJT uninstall or Control Panel programs?

----------------------------------

I noticed you have allowed some sites into your trusted zone!
If you use these sites frequently, and trust the sites, and are comfortable leaving these entries in your Trusted Zone, that's up to you.
however, realize that you are taking a big security risk by allowing any site to have unfettered access to your Trusted Zone.
This is your call it's your machine, I can only advise you.

Well, I did this because pop ups and other stuff at the site was a problem but no, I don't really trust the sites and 'untrusted' them via Internet Options or another tool. They were not listed in the HJT system scan. Below is the log.

What is O20 - AppInit_DLLs: vmyvan.dll?

Note: IE wasn't running but Foxfire was when I ran JavaRa. Also, could not find JRE 6 11 but did find JRRE 6 12 so installed that version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the logs requested:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:11:33 AM, on 2/3/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Plaxo\3.17.0.16\PlaxoHelper_en.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe
C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe
C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe
C:\Program Files\Vongo\VongoService.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqtgsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcuimgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Denise\Desktop\hijackthis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hp-laptop.aol.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.comcast.net/toolbar2.0/search/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/HP ... scheck.htm
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\YTSingleInstance.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Comcast Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-93BE-BE2DF4D9AE29} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMCAS~1\COMCAS~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /nodetect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MsmqIntCert] regsvr32 /s mqrt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] CHDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecGuard] C:\Windows\SMINST\RecGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YSearchProtection] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Search Protection] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [YSearchProtection] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\3.17.0.16\PlaxoHelper_en.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoSysTray] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\3.17.0.16\PlaxoSysTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoTransfer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoTransfer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoNotify] "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoServer] "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoServer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Photosmart Premier Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: AddFiltr - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\AddFiltr.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: TiVo Beacon (TivoBeacon2) - TiVo Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe
O23 - Service: Vongo Service - Starz Entertainment Group LLC - C:\Program Files\Vongo\VongoService.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

--
End of file - 11157 bytes

JavaRa 1.13 Removal Log.

Report follows after line.

------------------------------------

The JavaRa removal process was started on Tue Feb 03 10:00:26 2009

Found and removed: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06

Found and removed: Software\JavaSoft\Java2D\1.5.0_06

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features\8A0F842331866D117AB7000B0D510006

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\8A0F842331866D117AB7000B0D510006

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\7A0F842331866D117AB7000B0D510006

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\JavaPlugin.150_06

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\JavaWebStart.isInstalled.1.5.0.0

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\1.5.0_06

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.5

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.5.0_06

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\ACBB9B2318A96D117A58000B0D510006

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\8A0F842331866D117AB7000B0D510006

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150060}

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.5.0_06

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0000-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0000-0004-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.0.1

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.0.1_02

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.0.1_03

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.0.1_04

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.2

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Web Start\1.2.0_01

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0004-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0004-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0006-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0008-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0008-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0009-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0009-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0010-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0010-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0011-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0011-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0012-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0012-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0014-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0014-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0015-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0015-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0016-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0016-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0017-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0018-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0018-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0019-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0019-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0021-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0021-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0023-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0023-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0024-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0024-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0025-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0025-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0026-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0026-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0027-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0027-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0028-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0028-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0029-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0029-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

Found and removed: Software\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBB}

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.5.0.b64\

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders\\C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.5.0.b64\core1.zip

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.5.0.b64\core2.zip

Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.5.0.b64\core3.zip

------------------------------------

Finished reporting.
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 12:49 pm

Can't thank you enough for your help so far - I'm sure you hear that all the time but I knew this was so beyond my ability to fix and you are doing an outstanding job of not only providing support but doing so in a way that inspires my confidence.

Thank you for your kind words,they are appreciated.

Not a big gamer - they were installed on the laptop when purchased. Should I just uninstall these? If so should I use the HJT uninstall or Control Panel programs?

Yes, uninstall via add and remove programs.

What is O20 - AppInit_DLLs: vmyvan.dll?

It's a registry leftover from the infection.

The 015 wouldn't of shown as you did it via the trusted sites, not a problem.

------------------------

Log is looking a lot better.

Just need to clear up couple of the tools I used.

You can delete this folder C:RSIT << This folder

The following take care of items malwarebytes flagged.

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /u

And just to make sure it doesn't run:

Close all windows and try typing this command directly in and see if ComboFix runs.

Remember to use the " marks and there is a space between exe" and /killall

Start > Run > type "%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /killall

If ComboFix runs, please post the log.

CLEAN UP

Let's clear out the programs we've been using to clean up your computer, they are not suitable for general malware removal and could cause damage if used inappropriately.

Please download OTMoveIt3 and save it to desktop.
  • Double-click OTMoveIt3.exe. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit3.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

let me know when you have done this and all went ok.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 3rd, 2009, 2:08 pm

Ok - c:rsit is deleted

Ran ComboFix /u and then "%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /killall and got some funky results. Popup McAfee alert:

"McAfee has automatically blocked and quarantined an infected file on your computer. You can restore quarantined files from the Restore pane in SecurityCenter.
About this Trojan
Detected: Generic!Artemis (Trojan)
Quarantined From: C:\32788R22FWJFW\Prep.com"

Then a popup microsoft type window that said "windows cannot find 32788R22FWJFW\prep.com

I uninstalled everything that looked like a game but not sure what the following are:
DIVX
TOUR SETUP
MSXML (although this sounds like a microsoft xml add in or something)

Tried to uninstall Vongo software - came with PC and don't know or care what it is. Error uninstalling via control panel something about needing MSOXMLMF.DLL AND MSVCR880.DLL to uninstall.

All in all not in bad shape I think.

As a side point, if I should want to play games in the future, is there a safe place or way to play?
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 2:53 pm

Hi, did you do the cleanup with otmoveit3?

MSXML

Divx
It's a video compression application

I'm not too sure of TOUR SETUP

Tried to uninstall Vongo software - came with PC and don't know or care what it is. Error uninstalling via control panel something about needing MSOXMLMF.DLL AND MSVCR880.DLL to uninstall.

Try deleting it manually via windows explorer.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 3rd, 2009, 5:49 pm

Oh yes, forgot to mention - the cleanup ran well - were all the icons on my desktop supposed to disappear also? They are still there but maybe there's nothing behind them if I try to run them - hadn't tried to run them.

Vongo is gone - had to stop the service before it would let me delete it from explorer but it's gone.

And Generic!Artemis is normal as a McAfee alert?

Tour setup might just be a laptop thing for newbies...
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 6:23 pm

what Icons are we talking of, if the combofix icon try to start it if doesn't then just delete and empty recycle bin.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 3rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

There are the following icons remaining on the desktop but didn't check if there's anything actually installed still on c:\ anywhere

hijackthis.exe
ATF-Cleaner.exe
mbam-setup.exe
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Kaspersky
JavaRa.zip
a backup folder and the HJT folder
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 7:05 pm

Ok, well malwarebytes is a good program to keep just update new definitions before doing a scan.
ATF-Cleaner.exe << Good program to hang onto
mbam-setup.exe << You can delete the setup
Kaspersky Is this the link to the online scanner?
JavaRa.zip << You can delete this
Remove HJT via add and remove programs
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 3rd, 2009, 7:30 pm

mbam-setup.exe - deleted
JavaRa.zip - deleted
Removed HJT via add and remove programs - done
Kaspersky Is this the link to the online scanner?

Yes - I think I did that myself.
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

Congratulations you are clean! :)
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Create a new System Restore Point
This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
  • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
  • Select the More options tab
  • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.You don't need to use them all

Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6.2
Download it from here. Just choose a mirror and off you go.
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spybot properly here
Find here changes from older version 1.4 here

Install Spyware Guard
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Guard here

Install SpyWare Blaster
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster here

Install WinPatrol
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here

Install FireTrust SiteHound
You can find information and download it from here

Install MVPS Hosts File from here
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
Find Tutorial here : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
F-secure Health Check

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer.
http://www.update.microsoft.com

Please check out Tony Klein's article "How did I get infected in the first place?"

Read some information here how to prevent Malware.

Stand Up and Be Counted!
Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints called Malware Complaints. Please register there first! Then follow the instructions.

>> Here << you can see how you can help us.

Happy safe surfing!

Dan
Last edited by dan12 on February 4th, 2009, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 3rd, 2009, 8:42 pm

YIPPEE !!! :lol: :) :!: :!:

Ok - created the restore point and ran cleanmgr - am working through the rest of the stuff tonight and tomorrow.

I did notice that when Foxfire started from a link in Outlook it got the bouncy screen thing which is one thing that started me down this path. Do you know what that's about?

If not, as long as I'm clean then I can always fall back on my famous catch all support phrase... 'it's microsoft' and leave it alone.

Will post back tomorrow.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 3rd, 2009, 9:04 pm

This may help
dan
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dee.caffinated » February 4th, 2009, 5:37 am

Dan, thanks once again for your help!! The info in your 'closing speech' is great! One note - Castle Cops is closed so the link you noted goes here: http://www.castlecops.com/t7736-So_how_did_I_get_infected_in_the_first_place.html

Dee
dee.caffinated

Unread postby dan12 » February 4th, 2009, 6:37 am

Hi, Dee, I have redone that bad link in the closing speech.
regards dan
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext