Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Question

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Question

Unread postby zbestwun2001 » November 15th, 2005, 8:11 pm

I just had a tech visit to replace the front port where the headphone and USB ports are.

In the conversation he ask me if I had heard about this new virus that was going around. "He" said that what it does is make changes to the BIOS first, then it disables all the fans, the BIOS has been tampered with somehow that Windows doesn't know that it is overheating fast.

He said it is named something like, CC and some numbers.

He wasn't sure, but he is one smart tech so I thought I would bring this up and see if anyone has heard about it.

Thanks
Steve
zbestwun2001

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ChrisRLG » November 16th, 2005, 5:11 am

Not heard of it, but if its a pure virus, we might not.

The AV companies would have it in thier sights first, and most people have an AV now, so it is unlikely to get installed except in rare cases.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Question

Unread postby paperghost » November 16th, 2005, 9:34 am

zbestwun2001 wrote:I just had a tech visit to replace the front port where the headphone and USB ports are.

In the conversation he ask me if I had heard about this new virus that was going around. "He" said that what it does is make changes to the BIOS first, then it disables all the fans, the BIOS has been tampered with somehow that Windows doesn't know that it is overheating fast.

He said it is named something like, CC and some numbers.

He wasn't sure, but he is one smart tech so I thought I would bring this up and see if anyone has heard about it.

Thanks
Steve

Okay, this is weird. Years ago, I knew someone that did something similar to the above - he created a virus that switched off the fans and did other nasty things. eventually the machine would go all hot and blow-uppable and that. Curious that you should mention something like this all of a sudden. Haven't heard anything about the one you mention, however.

though having said that, my friend created his absolutely years ago so it cant be that new a technique.
paperghost

Unread postby AgentFade2Black » December 10th, 2005, 3:59 pm

I doubt you can screw with the BIOS that way these days.

Isn't the BIOS contained on a 4KB ROM chip?
AgentFade2Black

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions