Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Need help with my computer acting strange

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Need help with my computer acting strange

Unread postby DrPostman » January 2nd, 2009, 3:41 am

I really need some help and am hoping you can help me. My computer was working fine until Tuesday night early Wednesday morning. I had AVG anti virus program running on my computer. It was set to do it's daily scan. It always updates just before it does the scan. It couldn't update... said it couldn't get an internet connection. I was on the internet at the time and the internet seemed to be working fine. It said to go to avg.com website so I did. I can't go to the site. Everytime I try to go to the site a seperate browser would open with a button in the window to "Go to the website". I click on it and it does nothing. In the browser I was originally working in there was a page brought up that was a pharmacy website. I tried going onto the avg site on a different computer we have here and could get to the avg site on that computer. I did a search on Google for anti virus programs. No matter what site I went to it would not let me get into that site. We finally got ClamWin downloaded on a different computer and transferred to this one and installed it. It hit on some Trojans. I couldn't do anything on the computer though as it was froze up. I turned it off and rebooted it. When Windows came up it showed my desktop but the taskbar on the bottom of the screen would not load... no start button... no quick launch buttons... no taskbar on the right either. I tried to click on a folder on my desktop and it wouldn't do anything. I reboot the computer in safe mode and couldn't do anything that way either. I rebooted again and booted up in "The last known good configuration" It booted up good with everything appearing to be working. I went and deleted the programs affected according to the report from ClamWin with the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. I then ran ClamWin again. There was a few programs that I had missed from the previous report. I deleted them in the same manor as the previous time. Restarted the computer in the normal fashion and all appreared to boot correctly except that my volume control will not show up in the taskbar even though it shows in the control panel feature for it to be loaded in the taskbar. I tried my browser and it was still not working right. I uninstalled my browser and reinstalled it. It is still not working right. I still can't access the avg website. The only way I could get to this website was through a proxy server. I have 2 different browsers on this computer... firefox and Opera and neither one is working. I downloaded the HiJackThis that was mentioned in the instructions for this website. I have tried to install it but can't. When I click it to install it I get a box that asks if I want to run the program or not. The options are run and cancel. I click run and that is as far as it will go. It will not install or do anything at that point. The box just disappears and nothing.

I don't know what is wrong with my computer but I sure hope you can help me get it working right again.

Thank you for your help with this matter.
DrPostman

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Need help with my computer acting strange

Unread postby NonSuch » January 3rd, 2009, 12:40 am

We are very sorry you are experiencing so many difficulties. In order for us to help you it is necessary for us to be able to see a HijackThis log. If that can be accomplished, then a helper can work with you to resolve your malware issues. Sometimes, malware can be tricked into letting HijackThis run, if the program is renamed.

I suggest you download HijackThis to another computer. Then, rename HijackThis to something that is completely unrelated to malware or removing malware... use your name or the name of an animal, etc., just keep the exe extension, e.g., rename HijackThis.exe to something like bunnyrabbit.exe. Then, once the file has been renamed, burn it to a CD and transfer it to the infected computer. I suggest that you use a CD for transferring files rather than a USB flash drive because it is too easy for the flash drive to become infected, and then you would risk transferring the infection to your currently uninfected computer.

If you are able to run the renamed HijackThis on the infected computer, then please follow the guideline at the link below to start a new topic and post your HijackThis log. Also include a full description of your problem, just as you have above. (You can copy and paste it instead of retyping it). If you are unable to create and post a HijackThis log, then your only option may be to reformat your computer and reinstall the operating system.