Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

hp laptop taken over

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: hp laptop taken over

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » December 23rd, 2008, 1:09 pm

How is everything running now?

Run Kaspersky Online Scan

Please go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  2. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  3. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  4. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  5. Click on My Computer under Scan.
  6. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  7. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
  8. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.
  9. Please post this log in your next reply.

Please post the Kaspersky log and a new Hijackthis log.
MikeSwim07

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » December 26th, 2008, 12:29 pm

Hey,

Do you still need help?
MikeSwim07

Unread postby cjmarkle » December 26th, 2008, 11:57 pm

Michael,

sorry for no replies -- i am embarrassed to say I didn't notice the "page 2" link until just now -- having been checking for updates for several days :) I will run the "Kaspersky Online Scan" tonight and post tomorrow. Everything seems to be running fine now though :) Thanks so much for your help on this.

Chris Markle
cjmarkle

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » December 27th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Haha, I have done that before :lol: :D
MikeSwim07

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » December 29th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Have you run Kaspersky yet? Do you need help?
MikeSwim07

Unread postby cjmarkle » December 29th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Hi Micheal,

I tried running the Java based scanner twice, but it never finished. It didn't crash (as far as I can tell) but it never reported any results either. In any event, I am happy with my laptop now and consider it "cleaned out" thanks to your help. Thanks for all your time, and I am going to the donations page now to show my appreciation in the only way that really counts :) Thanks again for all your help with this...

Chris Markle
cjmarkle

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » December 29th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Glad we could help, donations are always greatly appreciated! I still have one more post for you.
MikeSwim07

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » December 29th, 2008, 2:58 pm

You aren't running Anti Virus Software. Please download and install one

Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. Here are some Anti Virus products which are free for personal use and most used:
Avast I recommend this one
Avira
AVG Free

Here are some really good paid programs which you can buy online or in a shop nearby:
ESET NOD32
Kaspersky Anti-Virus or Kaspersky Internet Security with Firewall included

You aren't running Firewall Software. Please download and install one

Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. If you use the Windows Firewall you might think that's sufficient but it only controls one way of the traffic (inbound). Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. Here are some firewalls which are free for personal use and most used:
Comodo
Kerio
ZoneAlarm

This is my normal post for when you are clear - which you now are - or seem to be.
Please advise of any problems you still have. If you think you're clean please give one more reply so that I can archive this topic.

Now that you are clean, I have some tips & tricks for you to keep your computer clean and secure. The first few (like removing dangerous tools and Windows Update) have to be done, the others are optional (beginning with Spybot S &D).

It may seem like your system will be too much protected with all these things installed, but a lot of programs aren't running always on the background so don't slow down your computer. Please take a look at the following things:

• Delete Harmful tools

Please locate and delete the following files as they can be harmful if used in the wrong way.

SmitFraudFix
    RSIT.exe and C:\RSIT <- Folder
    DAFT.exe
    JavaRa

You may delete any logs left on the desktop. I recommend that you keep Malwarebyte's Anti Malware and scan with it regularly.
  • Clear Old System Restore Points
    • Turn System Restore off
    • On the Desktop, right click on the My Computer icon.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Check Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Turn System Restore on
    • On the Desktop, right click on the My Computer icon.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Uncheck *Turn off System Restore*.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    Note: only do this once,and not on a regular basis
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  • Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Tutorail for Spybot S & D
  • Use an alternative Internet Browser - Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different browser instead:
    Firefox << Most used, I use this one myself.
    Opera
  • Bookmark general cleanup links - It could be that your computer is becoming slower and slower. This is not always the cause of malware. Most of the times it's malware when you're computer is suddenly getting slow or doing strange. When the slowdown increases slowly check (so now bookmark) these links for tips & tricks:
    Help! My computer is slow
    Slow Computer? Check here first; it may not be malware
  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

>> Here << you can see how you can help us.
MikeSwim07

Unread postby NonSuch » January 2nd, 2009, 2:20 am

As this issue is resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous