Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

First trojan using Sony rootkit spotted

Notifications for Security Updates, as well as News and Information from across the web - mostly security minded.

Update Contributors: Members of the Malware Removal University.

Regular Members: Our Regular Members are invited to start and/or participate in all other topics. Join in and share the news that's important to you.

First trojan using Sony rootkit spotted

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » November 10th, 2005, 2:40 pm

I picked this up on The Register and a few other sites.

A newly-discovered variant of of the Breplibot Trojan takes advantage of this to drop the file "$sys$drv.exe" in the Windows system directory... The malware arrives attached in an email, which pretends to come from a reputable business magazine, asking the businessman to verify his/her "picture" to be used for the December issue. If the malicious payload contained in this email is executed then the Trojan installs an IRC backdoor on affected Windows systems

This may be a proof of concept one though. I found something on About.com that says the trojan is inept.
The first Trojan to exploit this flaw, Stinx.E, doesn't properly decrypt the registry keys needed to allow the Trojan to load when Windows is restarted. The Stinx.E Trojan also fails to load if the Sony DRM cloaking technology is active, despite its deliberate attempts to exploit it. Additionally, the IP addresses used to connect to the IRC server are invalid. In effect, the Sony Stinx Trojan is impotent.

More thoughts by me plus my prediction that ther will be a new one that targets the gamers who won't uninstall the Sony rootkit because they are using it to hide their cheat programs.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » November 14th, 2005, 12:34 pm

zero reply bump
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Return to News Desk