Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

International Space Station is infected with a virus

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

International Space Station is infected with a virus

Unread postby cQuinc » August 30th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Here is part of an article I found interesting. It was found at:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10027754-33.html

Be safer than NASA: Disable autorun

NASA confirmed this week that a computer on the International Space Station is infected with a virus. (See "Houston, we have a virus" at The Register.)

The malicious software is called W32.TGammima.AG, and technically it's a worm. The interesting point, other than how NASA could let this happen, is the way the worm spreads--on USB flash drives.

Randy Abrams, director of technical education at ESET, alerted me about this. Touching on both interesting points, he said:

To start with, no computer going into space should have autorun enabled. Simply disabling autorun would have almost certainly rendered the worm inert. Given that age of the worm, and its low risk ranking, it is probable that current (antivirus) software was not being used either.

(Credit: NASA)

Malicious software spread by USB flash drives and other removable media takes advantage of a questionable design decision by Microsoft. Windows is very happy to run a program automatically when a USB flash drive is inserted into a PC. How convenient, both for end users and for bad guys.

Abrams blogged about this back in December, and I wrote about it in March. In that posting, I described how to disable autorun for Windows XP and Windows 2000 and I just revised it to include Vista.

In his December blog, Abrams writes, "Fundamentally, there are two types of readers here. The first type will disable autorun and be more secure. The second type will eventually be victims."

Don't be a victim, disable autorun (also known as autoplay) for all devices. It may be a bit inconvenient going forward, but to me, the added safety is well worthwhile.
cQuinc

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: International Space Station is infected with a virus

Unread postby MikeSwim07 » August 30th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Oh Wow :lol:
MikeSwim07

Unread postby BlackHawk54321 » October 10th, 2008, 1:20 am

Not entirely true.If you know what your doing. Theirs Anti Viruses that will scan devices as soon as it it plugged in.
BlackHawk54321

Unread postby Cyborg » October 10th, 2008, 5:22 am

:lol:

How about disinfecting a NASA computer on MWR?
Cyborg

Unread postby DEFC0N » January 29th, 2009, 2:52 am

I would like to see NASA throw some pride out and eat humble pie in order to cure that infection then again a govern agency asking MWR for help would make them look useless on the other hand.
DEFC0N

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions