Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Please check HJT log - I'm getting BSODs, slowdowns

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Please check HJT log - I'm getting BSODs, slowdowns

Unread postby John B. » August 24th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Hi,

Saw something really strange in your running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CF6995.exe

Could be part of ComboFix still running. Please reboot and see if it is still on your system. If so, please upload it to Jotti/VirusTotal. If not, please let me know.

Greets, John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby marcle » August 24th, 2008, 2:44 pm

I rebooted and it's gone. Not there in Task Manager, not listed in the HJT report.
marcle

Unread postby John B. » August 25th, 2008, 8:51 am

Hi,

Seems like it was something of ComboFix still running..

Regarding the BSODs, I am not yet specialized at non-malware related problems, which this is. That is why I recommend that you use the following link to go to the CastleCops General Computer Problems forum for help from a CastleCops SRT. They are experts and know what is safe to do and what not.

http://www.castlecops.com/f120-General_ ... blems.html

I recommend that you register before posting your problem. Registered members can receive notification when there has been a reply to their topic. There is no way for CCSP to notify "guests" when they have received a reply. It is best to include when you especially get those BSODs, what the error messages are (also from Event Viewer) and maybe a link to this topic.

Other than that I can only tell that you are completely clean from malware.. If you think you're clean please give one more reply so that I can archive this topic.

Now that you are clean, I got some tips & tricks for you to keep your computer clean and secure. The first few (like removing dangerous tools and Windows Update) have to be done, the others are optional (beginning with Spybot S &D).

It may seem like your system will be too much protected with all these things installed, but a lot of programs aren't running always on the background so don't slow down your computer. Please take a look at the following things:
  • Uninstall tools - The following will clean up some other
    • Download OTCleanIt from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/ol ... leanIt.exe to your desktop.
    • Click the OTCleanIt icon on your desktop.
    • Click the CleanUp button.
    • If you get any pop ups asking if it is OK let the program proceed.
    • At the end the program will ask to let it reboot the computer. Let it do so.
    You may delete any logs left on the desktop.

• Hide System Files - To undo what we did yesterday to get inside some system folders:
    • Open My Computer.
    • Go to Tools > Folder Options.
    • Select the View tab.
    • Scroll down to Hidden files and folders.
    • Select Do not show hidden files and folders.
    • Check (tick) Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
    • Click OK.
    • Close My Computer.

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Tutorail for Spybot S & D

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. You can download it here:
    SpywareBlaster

• Install WinPatrol - As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You can download it from this website:
    WinPatrol
    The developer is a well-known man in the MalWare Removal business. If you really like WinPatrol think about upgrading to the PLUS version. It will give you additional features and you will only have to pay once, for your whole malware-free life.

• Install MVPS HOSTS - This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial here:
    WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

• Use an alternative Internet Browser - Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different browser instead:
    Firefox << Most used, I use this one myself.
    Opera

• Bookmark general cleanup links - It could be that your computer is becoming slower and slower. This is not always the cause of malware. Most of the times it's malware when you're computer is suddenly getting slow or doing strange. When the slowdown increases slowly check (so now bookmark) these links for tips & tricks:
    Help! My computer is slow
    Slow Computer? Check here first; it may not be malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected will reduce dramatically.

>> Here << you can see how you can help us.

May your God go with you..

John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby marcle » August 25th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Hi John,

Thanks again for your help. It's a relief to know that whatever my problems are, they're not malware! I've always felt that I've practiced "safe computing" for the most part, and I will look at your suggestions carefully to make sure I'm doing the most I can on that front.

Meanwhile! I ran MEMTEST all night, actually for 18 hours, and went thru 17 passes -- and found 23 errors! I was unable to figure out how to print the MEMTEST report, or even to scroll thru it, but I had 20 errors on test 5, 3 errors on test 8, and the errors seemed to point to more than one memory location.

Do you believe that's sufficient evidence to say I've got a problem with bad RAM? It does seem to make sense that when I'm making low demands on memory, things work fine, but when I'm pushing the machine harder (and I guess theoretically making more use of all of my 2 gigs of RAM), the BSODs start showing up.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks again!

Marc
marcle

Unread postby John B. » August 26th, 2008, 7:02 am

Hi,

Thanks again for your help. It's a relief to know that whatever my problems are, they're not malware! I've always felt that I've practiced "safe computing" for the most part, and I will look at your suggestions carefully to make sure I'm doing the most I can on that front.

Sure post at the CastleCops forums. They are experts and I am sure they know exactly what is wrong.

Meanwhile! I ran MEMTEST all night, actually for 18 hours, and went thru 17 passes -- and found 23 errors! I was unable to figure out how to print the MEMTEST report, or even to scroll thru it, but I had 20 errors on test 5, 3 errors on test 8, and the errors seemed to point to more than one memory location.

Do you believe that's sufficient evidence to say I've got a problem with bad RAM? It does seem to make sense that when I'm making low demands on memory, things work fine, but when I'm pushing the machine harder (and I guess theoretically making more use of all of my 2 gigs of RAM), the BSODs start showing up.

Like I said before, all the errors in your Event Log or BSODs could be related to bad RAM. It is logical that if you get the problem when starting to use all the memory it is related to that. I am kind of relieved to see that Memtest found some errors, not because I want your RAM to go bad, but now at least we probably know what the problem is and you can fix it.

Now that we know it is hardware related you'd best create a new topic here:
http://www.castlecops.com/f31-General_Hardware.html

Tell me what you told me and maybe give a link to this topic as reference. I'll watch it closely to learn ;)

Greets, John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby marcle » August 26th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Thanks much, John. I posted a query at castlecops, here's the link:

http://www.castlecops.com/t226004-BSODs ... MTEST.html

Meanwhile, I've already ordered new RAM, and I sincerely hope that clears things up, cuz I'd much rather be using my computer than fixing it!
marcle

Unread postby John B. » August 26th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Looks good. Let me know if I can archive this topic :)
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby marcle » August 26th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Yes, go ahead and archive it, and thanks again for your invaluable help and suggestions. Even though I'm a skinflint, I'm going to go ahead and make a donation to this site, cuz you provide a level of support that I would have gladly paid for, if I even knew where to go to buy such a thing!
marcle

Unread postby Gary R » August 27th, 2008, 11:02 am