Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Unidentified Virus Trying to Access my E-mail

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unidentified Virus Trying to Access my E-mail

Unread postby carolus » August 9th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Symptoms: after visiting a website, my computer shut down. When I turned it on again, I got a message informing me that Outlook needed me to open it and select it as the default mail server to perform the tasks I had given it. Fortunately, since I do not and have never used Outlook, or any other e-mail program, I believe that the computer has failed to carry out the commands of whatever malware it has contracted. Nonetheless, this message asking me to configure Outlook now pops up every now and again. I have also noticed that my computer is taking a longer time than previously to load and log in to Windows. I would like to remove the malware because I do not know what else it could be doing and am concerned.

I am running Windows XP Pro. Based on skimming these forums, I have run Ewido, which identified a bunch of pernicious cookies, but has not fixed the problem. I have scanned my Task Manager and used Process Explorer, but saw nothing obviously malware.

Here is my HijackThis log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:53:49 PM, on 8/9/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\ISafe.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cctray] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\cctray\cctray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [nlhr] RunDll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %SystemRoot%\inf\nlite.inf,C (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [nlhr] RunDll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %SystemRoot%\inf\nlite.inf,C (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [nlhr] RunDll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %SystemRoot%\inf\nlite.inf,C (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [nlhr] RunDll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\AdvPack.Dll,LaunchINFSection %SystemRoot%\inf\nlite.inf,C (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EB1C3E5E-DCBC-4DB4-B5A8-3A17BC23AE2D}: NameServer = 68.87.71.226
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: pcAnywhere Host Service (awhost32) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: CaCCProvSP - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\ccprovsp.exe
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - CA, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Anti-Virus\VetMsg.exe

--
End of file - 4965 bytes

I'll appreciate any input.
carolus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Unidentified Virus Trying to Access my E-mail

Unread postby carolus » August 17th, 2008, 7:18 am

*bump* Any help?
carolus

Unread postby chryssi2001 » August 23rd, 2008, 7:51 am

Hello carolus,

I will be assisting you with your malware issues.

• Whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.
  • Continue to respond to this thread until I give you the All Clean! If you have any question or you're stuck in there please reply it to me. I will try my best to help you!
  • Please bookmark or favourite this page. In case you need it as reference or etc.
----------------------------------------------
I apologise for the delay.

We tend to look for topics with 0 replies, and as you bumped yours it didn't get a reply up to now.
RENAME HIJACKTHIS

Using Windows Explore by right-clicking the Start button and left clicking Explore navigate to: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

Right-click on HijackThis.exe & select Rename to scanner.exe.

Do not run it yet.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location.
  • The log can also be found here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
  • Post that log back here.
Post back:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware report.
A new HijackThis log.
chryssi2001
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » August 28th, 2008, 3:05 am

Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove