Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Port Scan Attacks and Suspected Trojan or Worm

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Port Scan Attacks and Suspected Trojan or Worm

Unread postby unchuckie » July 13th, 2008, 9:16 pm

I use Avanquest System Suite 8 w/ the NetDefense Firewall. Recently, I've been receiving numerous warning messages indicating port scan attacks every minute I'm using IE. Additionally, some messages indicate a possible trojan/worm. Most of these are through ports 53 and 80, but others have been listed as well. Here's my HiJackThis Log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:03:03 PM, on 7/13/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 5.0\THGuard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVANQU~1\SYSTEM~1\MXTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\winroute\WinRServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\winroute\WinRoute.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVANQU~1\SYSTEM~1\mxtask.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\Avanquest\SystemSuite\LinkScannerIE.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScannerPro] C:\PROGRA~1\AVANQU~1\SYSTEM~1\MemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 5.0\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue RegistryBooster 2] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe /S
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: DING!.lnk = C:\Program Files\Southwest Airlines\Ding\Ding.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: DING!.lnk = C:\Program Files\Southwest Airlines\Ding\Ding.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: DING!.lnk = C:\Program Files\Southwest Airlines\Ding\Ding.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microso ... 8705329140
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/s ... wflash.cab
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: SystemSuite Task Manager - Avanquest Software USA, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVANQU~1\SYSTEM~1\MXTask.exe
O23 - Service: Softex WinRoute Service (WinRServ) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softex\winroute\WinRServ.exe

--
End of file - 4547 bytes

Please let me know if anyone can identify anything abnormal. In general, I've seen periodically slower browsing since the error messages.

Thank you.
unchuckie

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Port Scan Attacks and Suspected Trojan or Worm

Unread postby jmw3 » July 16th, 2008, 7:24 am

Welcome unchuckie

I will be helping you under the guidance of one of our expert coaches.
Please give me a little time to get back to you with instructions.

In the meantime please note the following:
  • Any recommendations made are for your computer problems only and should NOT be used on any other computer.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans/tools or other fixes unless I ask you to. This is very important for several reasons. Here are just two of them:
    1. The tools that we use are very powerful and can cause >>irreparable damage<< to your computer if not used correctly.
    2. Commercial scanners, for the most part can not completely remove some of the more "resistant" infections. This makes it much more difficult to get rid of completely.
  • If you get stuck or are unsure of something please ask for a further explanation, do not guess.
  • Continue to respond to this thread until I give you the All Clean!
Thanks
John
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby unchuckie » July 16th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Thanks John. Although I provided most of the info I could, please let me know if you need anything else.
unchuckie

Unread postby jmw3 » July 17th, 2008, 3:47 am

Hello unchuckie
There is nothing showing in your HJT log. Could you tell me what the messages are that indicate a trojan/worm? Do you have any logs available from your anti-virus?
I'd like to run a couple of scans:

Disable Ad-Aware
Please disable Ad-Aware as it may interfere with repairs.
  • Click Settings>Auto Scansand under Scan on Ad-Aware startup
  • be sure both selections for No automated scan are checked (green)
  • Then click Save and close Ad-Aware
Don't forget to re-enable it, when your computer is clean.

Disable Trojan Hunter Guard
Please disable Trojan Hunter Guard, as it may interfere with the fix.
  • Go to TrojanHunter Guard in the lower right corner of your screen
  • It is a light blue icon with a magnifying glass that can be difficult to see but the handle is red
  • Right click it and select settings. Uncheck Load at startup and Enabled
Don't forget to re-enable it, when your computer is clean.

Deckard's System Scanner (DSS)
Download Deckard's System Scanner here & save to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.
  • Close all applications and windows.
  • Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  • When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt<-this one will be minimized
  • Copy (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt and the extra.txt to your post in your next reply.

Kaspersky Online Scan
Do an online scan with >Kaspersky Online Scanner<
  • Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under Scan
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report
  • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As...
  • Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button
  • Please post this log in your next reply

To post in next reply:
DSS log
Kaspersky log
New HJT log
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby jmw3 » July 20th, 2008, 12:20 am

Hello

THREE DAY BUMP!

It has been three days since my last post.
  • Do you still need help with this?
  • Do you need more time?
  • Are you having problems following my instructions?
If after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed!

Please let me know if there are any problems. Thanks!

John
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Shaba » July 22nd, 2008, 3:18 am

Due to lack of response this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove