Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Malware... cannot browse properly, nor Google, etc.

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Malware... cannot browse properly, nor Google, etc.

Unread postby Mark_25 » July 1st, 2008, 8:28 pm

Hi folks I think I've got a problem with malware that's stopping me running firefox in Windows XP completely. It's also affecting a lot of sites on the net andand the trojan (malware) is making it difficult for me to find a fix. Any help would be very much appreciated with this please guys. I did a lot of stuff on the computer to try and improve its performance yesterday and seemed to have made things a whole lot worse due to pirated software or whatever has caused this. Lesson learnt - I'm going to have to buy this stuff if I don't want to get 'virused up'.

I also have a linux partition on this computer so have realised that I am able to get onto firefox to post here and check for posts. Also last time I went onto my computer when I was using the documents folders in Windows XP I noticed popups asking me to buy some scam anti-spyware product which I can post up here if you need it.

Here's some in-depth info:

When I try and get on this forum, on Windows XP the malware redirects me here:

hxxp://generalmeds.biz/search.php

Firefox is failing to load completely.

Internet Explorer and Safari can bring up certain web sites but Google fails to load 90% of results relating to spyware / malware removal.

When I click on the links to remove spyware/malware it just brings me up to a URL that isn't the correct link and is a spam site and its impossible to load the site. Other sites just bring up a 'cannot find server' Internet Explorer error or fail to load in Safari.

AVG Free Anti-Virus 8.0 downloaded yesterday runs a full scan and finds nothing although it did find some trojans / minor spyware last night but these were cleaned and removed to the vault. Similarly with Ad-Aware SE Professional on a latest full scan it will find nothing but some minor stuff was removed yesterday. Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool June 2008 edition runs a full scan and finds nothing. The trojans found yesterday were placed in the virus vault from some old files running on my computer and some poker software which has not been used for about a year.

MSN is still working perfectly as well as iTunes and a BitTorrent client, Windows Live Mail. I can get on a couple of sites on the internet that works fine such as the Latitude Festival website, Facebook partially loads but doesn't work like it should, page not displaying properly and a lot of the features and pages aren't working.

I did a lot of stuff on the computer when this happened such as remove a lot of unnecessary programs, cleanup the registry and run diskcleanup and ATF Cleaner. I tried to install "Service Pack 3" Windows XP Professional Edition but couldn't get the Service Pack or latest updates installed.

Thanks.

---

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 00:53:16, on 02/07/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\VTTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Last.fm\LastFM.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
H:\iTunes.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Received Files\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Markrosoft Internet Explorer
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Favorites
O2 - BHO: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\SpeedUpMyPC 3\SpeedUpMyPC.exe -s
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/Fac ... oader5.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: KService - Kontiki Inc. - C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - Smart Link - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind AE Service (StarWindServiceAE) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe

--
End of file - 7177 bytes
Last edited by Shaba on July 8th, 2008, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled link
Mark_25

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Malware... cannot browse properly, nor Google, etc.

Unread postby MWR 3 day Mod » July 6th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Hi, Mark_25

We are sorry to see your topic is over three days old and no one has yet been able to respond and offer help.

If you still require assistance, please post a link to your topic in our Waiting for help with malware removal? forum, and our staff will make an effort to assist you as promptly as possible. Only post a LINK to this topic, DO NOT post your DDS log!

Please do not reply to this topic.

If you haven't posted within two days in the "Waiting for help with malware removal?" forum, we will assume you have been able to get assistance in other ways and this topic will be closed.
MWR 3 day Mod
MRU Undergrad
MRU Undergrad

Unread postby Scotty » July 9th, 2008, 5:35 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry about the delay in responding

If you still need help, Scan again with HijackThis, and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.

Please make a uninstall list using HijackThis
To access the Uninstall Manager you would do the following:

1. Start HijackThis
2. Click on the Config button
3. Click on the Misc Tools button
4. Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
5. Click on the Save list... button and specify where you would like to save this file. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file. Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad here in a reply.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Mark_25 » July 11th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Hi thanks for the advice I am clean now from another forum, as there was quite a delay in waiting for the help not a problem though, thanks.
Mark_25

Unread postby silver » July 12th, 2008, 5:35 am