Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Halifax online banking page being redirected

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Halifax online banking page being redirected

Unread postby Paul_Lambert » June 12th, 2008, 9:58 am

Hello MWR Experts,

I have a pc which has fallen victim to malware that redirects the Halifax Online Banking Login page to a page that requests all your personal information and then submits it to an unknown location.

I have installed and scanned with AVG, Adaware, SuperAntispyware and Spybot and still the page is redirected.

I have attached a HJT log performed after all the scans above.
hijackthis-1346-120608.txt

This is a problem with IE7 only, I have installed Firefox and can use the online banking login without being redirected.

Also, just for information, the user of this pc has had their online banking credentials reset already.

I would be grateful if someone could help me out with this one.

Regards
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul_Lambert

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Halifax online banking page being redirected

Unread postby Ironbender » June 14th, 2008, 11:32 am

Hi Paul, welcome to MWR,

please let me know if you are still around, so, we can start the fix. In the meantime, - Download and run CrapCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/
Note: in CCleaner: go to <options/advanced> Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours").

- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyte's ... d5756.html to the desktop.

- Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.

- MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.

When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
- Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log and exit MBAM.

NB - If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process and, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Post back the MBAM report along with a fresh HJT log.

Chris
Ironbender

Unread postby Paul_Lambert » June 15th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Hi Ironbender,

Thanks for your reply and tasks to complete.

Just to let you know this pc belongs to a client.
I shall be back on this client's site Tuesday.
Unfortunately time is now of the essence for this pc to be working securely so I have advised the client that it would be best to format the pc, which he has agreed to.
I didn't know at the time that you would be able to reply to me in the meantime.

I am shall, of course, carry out the tasks listed first and hopefully solve this issue quickly.

I shall post again on Tuesday if that is Ok with you?

Paul
Paul_Lambert

Unread postby Paul_Lambert » June 17th, 2008, 8:16 am

Hi Ironbender,

I am afraid I visited the client today and found he had already reformatted the pc.
So I am unable to try your suggestions now and will not know what the infection was.
I am sorry for having wasted your time on this.

Please close this post, or do I?

Regards
Paul
Paul_Lambert

Unread postby NonSuch » June 22nd, 2008, 1:00 am

Due to an apparent resolution, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove