Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Can't Install HijackThis or Spybot S&D

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Can't Install HijackThis or Spybot S&D

Unread postby craigceg » June 3rd, 2008, 11:59 pm

I have a XP SP2 computer I'm working on that had/has some Malware. When I first got it, I was not able to run any executable. Whenever I clicked on an .exe it would open a dialog asking which program I wanted to use to open it. I did a repair install of XP and got the same kind of errors during the repair. I was able to get through the repair but the problem still existed. I found and used this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm
That seemed to fix the problem and I was able to run Spyware Doctor and AVG 8 and CCleaner. Both AVG and Spywaer Doctor found and removed Vundo and a bunch of other stuff. However, there is still something there because when I open IE, I still get multiple pages opening etc.
The current problem is I am unable to install Spybot Search & Destroy or HiJackThis. When I click on either of those, the hourglass appears for about 10 seconds and then goes away. Nothing comes up on the screen. The installer does not start and nothing is running in the task manager.

I really want to run SS&D and HJT. I do not want to reformat and reinstall OS if at all possible.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Craig
craigceg

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Can't Install HijackThis or Spybot S&D

Unread postby craigceg » June 4th, 2008, 6:41 pm

This topic can be closed now.

I must have been really tired last night.

The answer was to rename both of the programs to something the malware did not recognize.

Craig
craigceg

Unread postby Shaba » June 5th, 2008, 9:37 am

Hi craigceg

I still highly recommend to post HijackThis log :)
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby craigceg » June 5th, 2008, 8:40 pm

I have already finished cleaning that computer and returned it. The HijackThis log was clean and computer was running beautifully.

Craig
craigceg

Unread postby Shaba » June 6th, 2008, 11:40 am

Hi

Thanks for the info :)
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Shaba » June 11th, 2008, 10:40 am

craigceg this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!