Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

tried to download HJTsetup but wouldn't work?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: tried to download HJTsetup but wouldn't work?

Unread postby wendyb » May 2nd, 2008, 12:01 pm

That's looking a lot cleaner

...................I'll Say!!! wow,thanks!

Do you use Google toolbar

..............I think I do... for the internet?

or McAfee SiteAdvisor ?

.............not sure if I use this or not.

The toolbar doesn't use much, but if you don't use it then it can go.
Site Advisor however is well known for slowing browsing speeds. Unless you regularly visit unknown sites then you don't need it on all the time.

...........well I do visit unknown sites alot,as I research alterntive medicine, health food products etc as I have to buy alot of things online.

Download Winpatrol It is an excellent startup manager and then some !!

...........done... although I wasn't sure if I was to 'run' it or 'save' it.....I chose 'run' and followed the prompts from there. I don't know what the difference is.

Install Winpatrol, and when running click on the Startup Programs tab
The following items can safely be disabled.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe

...........done!

...........I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to FINALLY get rid of that damn kodak thing and msn, I never use either of them and I didn't know how to get rid of them! LOL

Reboot your computer and see if that has helped the speed

...........absolutely MUCH better. thank you so very much!!!

AntiVirus ......

I personally use Avast, and am more than happy with its performance. It uses a lot less memory than McAfee.
Avast

........thanks, I will explore that. I guess I figure McAfee has done well for me so far. I'll do some more reading and see. Is it easy to uninstall McAfee???

Let me know how things are running and if there are any other problems

............I think that does it. Thank you SO much for your time and expertise. I truly appreciate it and I feel better knowing I'm not super infected at the moment! ;-)

...........um, should I be running any of the programs I have installed on my own on a regular basis?

thanks again, take care

Wendy
Canada
wendyb

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Katana » May 2nd, 2008, 12:29 pm

Is it easy to uninstall McAfee???

Technically yes, but the fact that McAfee have created a removal tool should tell you that in reality it can sometimes be a pain.

If you need it here it is
Remove McAfee

Please click HERE and follow the instructions to download and run the Mcafee removal tool

Congratulations your logs look clean :D

Let's see if I can help you keep it that way

First lets tidy up :D

Please delete the following
    C:\Deckards

Delete any logs we have produced and empty your Recycle bin

Set optimum settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

Reset System Restore.
Now you should disable System restore to purge any infected files and then re-enable it,

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Restart your computer

Turn ON System Restore

Click Properties.
Un-Check Turn off System Restore.

The following is some info to help you stay safe and clean.

Wendy,
I don't suggest you get very involved with the following programs, your machine would probably curl up and die if you install much more on it :lol:
You should stick with an Antivirus and MalwareBytes, but I include the full list for the benefit of all the other people who will be reading this thread in the future.

Online Scanners
I would recommend a scan at one or more of the following sites at least once a month.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan
http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partne ... bscan.html

!!! Make sure that all your programs are updated !!!
Secunia Software Inspector does all the work for you, .... see HERE for details

AntiSpyware
    AntiSpyware is not the same thing as Antivirus.
    Different AntiSpyware programs detect different things, so in this case it is recommended that you have more than one.
    You should only have one running all the time, the other/s should be used "on demand" on a regular basis.
    Most of the programs in this list have a free (for Home Users ) and paid versions,
    it is worth paying for one and having "realtime" protection, unless you intend to do a manual scan often.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy <<< A must have program
    • It includes host protection and registry protection
    • A hosts file is a bit like a phone book, it points to the actual numeric address (i.e. the IP address) from the human friendly name of a website. This feature can be used to block malicious websites
  • MalwareBytes Anti-malware <<< A New and effective program
  • a-squared Free <<< A good "realtime" or "on demand" scanner
  • superantispyware <<< A good "realtime" or "on demand" scanner

Prevention
    These programs don't detect malware, they help stop it getting on your machine in the first place.
    Each does a different job, so you can have more than one
  • Winpatrol
    • An excellent startup manager and then some !!
    • Notifies you if programs are added to startup
    • Allows delayed startup
    • A must have addition
  • SpywareBlaster 4.0
    • SpywareBlaster sets killbits in the registry to prevent known malicious activex controls from installing themselves on your computer.
  • SpywareGuard 2.2
    • SpywareGuard provides real-time protection against spyware.
    • Not required if you have other "realtime" antispyware or Winpatrol
  • ZonedOut
    • Formerly known as IE-SPYAD, adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers and marketers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer.
  • MVPS HOSTS
    • This little program packs a powerful punch as it blocks ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    • For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002.
    • Not required if you are using other host file protections

Internet Browsers
    Microsoft has worked hard to make IE.7 a more secure browser, unfortunately whilst it is still the leading browser of choice it will always be under attack from the bad guys.
    Using a different web browser can help stop malware getting on your machine.
    • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
      1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
      2. Click once on the Security tab
      3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
      4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
        • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
        • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
        • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
        • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
        • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
        • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
        • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
        • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
      5. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
    If you are still using IE6 then either update, or get one of the following.
    • FireFox
      • With many addons available that make customization easy this is a very popular choice
      • NoScript and AdBlockPlus addons are essential
    • Opera
      • Another popular alternative
    • Netscape
      • Another popular alternative
      • Also has Addons available

Cleaning Temporary Internet Files and Tracking Cookies
    Temporary Internet Files are mainly the files that are downloaded when you open a web page.
    Unfortunately, if the site you visit is of a dubious nature or has been hacked, they can also be an entry point for malware.
    It is a good idea to empty the Temporary Internet Files folder on a regular basis.

Tracking Cookies are files that websites use to monitor which sites you visit and how often.
    A lot of Antispyware scanners pick up these tracking cookies and flag them as unwanted.
    CAUTION :- If you delete all your cookies you will lose any autologin information for sites that you visit, and will need your passwords

Both of these can be cleaned manually, but a quicker option is to use a program
  • ATF Cleaner
    • Free and very simple to use
  • CCleaner
    • Free and very flexible, you can chose which cookies to keep

Also PLEASE read this article.....So How Did I Get Infected In The First Place

The last and most important thing I can tell you is UPDATE.
If you don't update your security programs (Antivirus, Antispyware even Windows) then you are at risk.
Malware changes on a day to day basis. You should update every week at the very least.

If you follow this advice then (with a bit of luck) you will never have to hear from me again :D

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask otherwise ......
If you could post back one more time to let me know everything is OK, then I can have this thread archived.

Happy surfing K'
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby wendyb » May 2nd, 2008, 2:52 pm

............I'm sorry, I don't know how todo this?

wendy
wendyb

Unread postby Katana » May 2nd, 2008, 4:52 pm

Click Start >> My Computer >> C:\

Right click on the folder called Deckards and select delete
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby wendyb » May 2nd, 2008, 7:43 pm

Reset System Restore.
Now you should disable System restore to purge any infected files and then re-enable it,

............oops it is not there. I'm guessing maybe some little hands had something to do with it being gone.........I tried to find the properties from accessing my computer through start,but I couldn't find my way so I thought I'd better ask!

thanks

wendy
wendyb

Unread postby Katana » May 3rd, 2008, 4:22 am

First, you need to get a short heavy stick and BEAT THOSE LITTLE HANDS !!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Then, try this route ;)

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then double-click System.
3. Click the System Restore tab, and then click to select the Turn off System Restore for all drives check box.
4. Click OK, and then click Yes to initiate the restore point deletion.
Reboot
To turn on System Restore again after the restore point deletion has completed, repeat these steps, but click to clear the Turn off System Restore for all drives check box.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Re: tried to download HJTsetup but - all done!

Unread postby wendyb » May 10th, 2008, 9:25 am

Congratulations your logs look clean

...........woohoo!

.............done

Delete any logs we have produced and empty your Recycle bin

.........delete any logs? hmmmm not sure where to find those... but I did empty the recycle bin ;-)

Set optimum settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
Click OK

..........done

Reset System Restore.

Click Properties.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Restart your computer

..............done

Turn ON System Restore

Click Properties.
Un-Check Turn off System Restore.

..................done

Wendy,
I don't suggest you get very involved with the following programs, your machine would probably curl up and die if you install much more on it

............LOL!!! (all I want for Mother's Day is a new laptop, a new laptop)

You should stick with an Antivirus and MalwareBytes, but I include the full list for the benefit of all the other people who will be reading this thread in the future.

...........and for when I get a new one! <grin>

Ok, so I think that is it. It has been a pleasure, again, thanks for everything.

wendy
wendyb

Re: tried to download HJTsetup but - all done!

Unread postby Katana » May 10th, 2008, 9:31 am

wendyb wrote:.........delete any logs? hmmmm not sure where to find those

They should be on your desktop.

I'm glad everything is OK now :)
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » May 16th, 2008, 8:29 am