Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

PLEASE HELP ME -- computer acting

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

PLEASE HELP ME -- computer acting

Unread postby rafterdave » February 21st, 2008, 3:37 pm

My computer worked fine yestrday. Today, when i try to open most applications a pop screen asks for me to choose a program to open the application with...this also happens when i try to use the comand option...specifically click Start, programs, accessories, command prompt....when this happens is asks "choose a program that you want to run this program with."

Interestingly -- i can open aol, word, powerpoint BUT not Internet Explorer, WOrld of Warcroft, etc.

HELp me please
rafterdave

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: PLEASE HELP ME -- computer acting

Unread postby Elrond » February 28th, 2008, 5:32 am

I'm Elrond and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

As an introduction, please note that I am not Superhuman, I do not know everything, but what I do know has taken me years to learn. I am happy to pass on this information to you, but please bear in mind that I am also fallible.

Please only use this topic for your replies on this problem. Do not start another thread.
Please note that the fixes we will use are specific to your problems on this computer and should only be used for this problem on this computer.
These things need to be properly researched and a complete fix for many malware problems can take some time and be spread over a number of posts, so please be patient and try to see it through to the end.

Before we start: Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

In light of this it would be wise for you to back up any files and folders that you don't want to lose before we start.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Perform all actions in the order given.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with it till you're given the all clear.
  • REMEMBER, ABSENCE OF SYMPTOMS DOES NOT MEAN THE INFECTION IS ALL GONE.
If you can do these things, everything should go smoothly.
  • Please note that you should have Administrator rights to perform the fixes. (XP accounts are Administrator by default) Also note that multiple identity PC’s (family PC’s) present a different problem; please tell me if your PC has more than one individual’s setting, but continue with the fix.Please let me know if you are using a computer with multiple accounts, as this can affect the instructions given.
It may be helpful to you to print out or take a copy of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Please note that all instructions given are customized for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Please note that I will be off line for about 26 hours (sundown Friday until nightfall Saturday my local time) every week.

Please download HJTInstall.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop
  • Click I Accept
  • HijackThis will open
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button.
  • It will scan and then the log will open in notepad.
  • Paste the log as a reply to this thread.
  • Don't use the Analyse This button - its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet.

Open "HijackThis". Click on "Open Misc.Tool Section".
Use the scroll bar on the right and scroll down to "Open Uninstall Manager". Click it.
On the right you will find "Save List". Click it.
The log that you just saved will appear.
Use "Copy" and "Paste" to add it to your next post.

Please post the following:
HijackThis log
Uninstall List
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Re: PLEASE HELP ME -- computer acting

Unread postby askey127 » March 23rd, 2008, 9:09 am