Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

infected computer! please help!

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: infected computer! please help!

Unread postby oxoafioxo » February 8th, 2008, 11:05 am

I double clicked on "Fix.bat" and a dos window popped up that said "Deleted Successfully." No notepad window popped up.

My computer is currently running great. I haven't been having any problems. My only concern is the combofix deletion of the synaptics & dell support file. It hasn't created any problems so far, though. Should I be worried? Also, referring to your question a few days ago, should I start downloading the windows updates? I was always told that the updates for service pack 2 let microsoft record what you're doing on your computer. And also that the updates could be tainted or malicious.
oxoafioxo

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Simon V. » February 8th, 2008, 11:35 am

oxoafioxo wrote:I double clicked on "Fix.bat" and a dos window popped up that said "Deleted Successfully." No notepad window popped up.

My computer is currently running great. I haven't been having any problems. My only concern is the combofix deletion of the synaptics & dell support file. It hasn't created any problems so far, though. Should I be worried? Also, referring to your question a few days ago, should I start downloading the windows updates? I was always told that the updates for service pack 2 let microsoft record what you're doing on your computer. And also that the updates could be tainted or malicious.

Updates are never tainted and malicious :shock: Always make sure you have the latest updates of every software installed on your computer. Microsoft does not record what you're doing on your computer.

Combofix deleted those files because they were infected. They should have been replaced by clean copies though, so it shouldn't create any problems. If you experience problems with one of those programs, the only option is to reinstall it.

Here are some tips to keep your computer clean in the future:

Click Start then Run....

• Type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. (Note: The space between the x and the /u needs to be there)

• This will uninstall Combofix.

You aren't running anti-virus software. Please make sure you download and install one anti-virus program.

Use an Anti-Virus Program - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus program running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

Here are a few (free) anti-virus programs, please download and install one of them:

Update your Anti-Virus Software - It is very important that you update your anti-virus software at least once a week (even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti-virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that will come out.

Make your Internet Explorer More Secure

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab.
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.

• Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt.
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable.
    • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt.
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt.
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt.
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

• Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Use a Firewall - Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. The Windows firewall isn't sufficient as it only monitors incoming connections.

Here are a few (free) firewalls, please download and install one of them:

Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Install WinPatrol - An excellent startup manager, notifies you if programs are added to startup, allows delayed startup, ... A must have! An installation guide can be found here: http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would with your anti-virus software. You can download the program here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would with your anti-virus software. A tutorial on installing and using this product can be found here (do not install TeaTimer): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... ial43.html

Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A tutorial can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... ial49.html

Install IE-Spyad - IE-Spyad places more than 4000 dubious websites and domains in the IE Restricted list. This severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites. A tutorial on installing this product can be found here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm#IESPYAD

Update All Your Security Programs Regularly - Make sure you update all your security programs (Anti-Virus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware) regularly (once a weak, at least). Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

You can also read this excellent article by TonyKlein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Stand Up and Be Counted! - Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints: Malware Complaints. You have to be registered to post. After registering just find your country room and register your complaint. The infection you had was Vundo (Virtumundo).
Simon V.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby oxoafioxo » February 8th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Thank you so much for all of your help! I'll definitely take that advice. I have one last question. Upon looking in add/remove problems i noticed i have Java 6 Update 4, Java Se Development Kit 6 Update 4, and Java DB 10.3.1.4. Do I need all three of those?, because the first two are very large in file size.
oxoafioxo

Unread postby Simon V. » February 8th, 2008, 2:35 pm

oxoafioxo wrote:Thank you so much for all of your help! I'll definitely take that advice. I have one last question. Upon looking in add/remove problems i noticed i have Java 6 Update 4, Java Se Development Kit 6 Update 4, and Java DB 10.3.1.4. Do I need all three of those?, because the first two are very large in file size.

Some sites require that you have Java 6 Update 4 installed.

As for Java Se Development Kit 6 Update 4, this is what their site says -

The Java SE Development Kit (JDK) includes the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and command-line development tools that are useful for developing applets and applications.

You can uninstall those programs, as it will get downloaded when required by a site.
Simon V.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » February 12th, 2008, 3:44 pm