Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

I have a couple questions....

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

I have a couple questions....

Unread postby Batmanusa » September 29th, 2007, 12:48 am

I have a couple questions that, try as I might, I just can't understand. It's in regards to the browser hi-jackets that redirect you to places such as Daily-Search and different online SHOPPING sites. I really don't get it.

01. WHY do the malware creators think that by forcibly redirecting web users to a particular site, WITHOUT PERMISSION and against their will, would make anyone want to BUY anything from such a site?

02. WHY would ANY online business want to be associated with the act of hijacking browsers to force them to their site?

03. Isn't there ANY way to find out who/what group creates these monstrosities?

It's no wonder that decent people (such as my Aunt and her friends) have given up on the internet because of fighting all the viruses, spyware, and malware. I guess some people have NO shame and no sense of dignity. As opposed to standing up for what is good in the world, they would rather wallow in the mud and destroy.
Batmanusa

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Gary R » September 29th, 2007, 2:53 am

To get the answer to your questions, you have to understand the way online advertising is arranged, below is a much simplified description.

Client goes to Online Advertising Agency with product which they wish to push. Sometimes with, sometimes without an existing advert. If without, then an Ad is produced for them.

Online Advertising agency then deals out Ad through a number of "Associates" who buy space on various websites where Ad will hopefully be seen. Or further sub let the Ad through another level of Associates.

The end site owners and Associates are paid on a clickthrough basis, ie. For each click on the Ad they host, they are paid a commission. More clicks, more pay.

Now we get to the nub of things.

Unprincipled "Associates" or Web site Owners (or both) figures they will get more "viewers" and therefore more click throughs, and therefore more money, if they automate the process. So enter the Malware pop upper, which directs users to those Ads, clicks on and opens them, thus providing a greater throughput of clicked Ads and therefore more money for the end web site owner or Associate.

They're not bothered whether the customer is outraged by this behaviour, because they are paid by clickthrough, which is entirely removed from customer purchasing decisions.

So, answer 1, customers won't buy from things advertised this way, but the "Associates" and Web Site Owners are still getting paid so they don't care.

Answer 2, why would anyone want to be associated with this kind of sales technique? Because the real life sales model is much more convoluted than the much simplified scenario I've described above, and often the person who placed the Ad is unaware of just what is going on. As for the others, they collude to a greater or lesser degree because they make a great deal of money out of it.

Answer 3, because of the convoluted nature of the business, it is difficult to assign blame, and even more difficult to bring a successful prosecution. However there have been some successes, and the fight is by no means a hopeless one.

Hope this explains a little. There will no doubt be others along who will have a greater knowledge than my own limited understanding of the problem, and who can describe things better to you.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Aha.....

Unread postby Batmanusa » September 29th, 2007, 3:16 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It makes a little more sense to me now. So, if I understand correctly, it's all about the "clicks" or site visits and the way I see it...associates and website owner are over-inflating or in essence MISLEADING the amount of traffic to gain more revenue.

You would think that placed the Ad or whoever is paying for the "clicks" or traffic would be aware of the fact that people are being "hijacked" to the site and that they are paying good money for fraudulent "visitors". However, you've made a good point. I'm thinking it's must be "convoluted" and probably too time consuming to constantly verify.

Like most things in life, I guess it boils down to the Benjamins. I guess these same people slip into "dirty deeds" as comfortably as a pair of old slippers. It's a shame really that it's a small part of destorying something that has potential to be so good. I couldn't do it. There are some truly good people out here who wouldn't do anything to anyone and only want to email their grand kids and be sent pictures and such. It's all a matter of character....and character is what you do when no one is looking.

Greg
Batmanusa

Unread postby Gary R » September 29th, 2007, 3:36 am

Yes, it all boils down to greed I'm afraid, and the failure of the Advertising Industry to clean up their act, or to introduce a better more accountable sales model.

The actual number of these scumbags is low (as a proportion of the overall netgoing population), but unfortunately they have a large impact on the web experience that the rest of us have.

I can't see the Ad Industry changing their procedures in the near future, they are well aware of what's happening and have been for some time, but still show reluctance to change things. All we can do is educate and protect, so that less people get infected and their revenue dries up.

This and letters to the relevant government officials in whatever country you reside. When they think it's a big enough vote winner then perhaps they'll get off their, so far, unmoving backsides and do something.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Yes...

Unread postby Batmanusa » September 29th, 2007, 3:50 am

I'm sure you're right. The number of offenders are probably low but they sure inflect so much grief. I guess it's like everything else man touches. There are always going to be those who leave their muddy bootprint behind after them.

I have been a SURFER on the internet almost from it's birth and have learned to evade or fix not all, but MOST of their assaults. But it seems like they are getting more and more devious. I am battling one right now that has me on the ropes (I already posted it on here) and I can't help but think that I know I'm FAR from educated on this topic...I'm pretty handy sometimes. But how are most Mom and Pop surfers going to deal with these things if some of us find it extremely difficult.

The way I see things.....we are not going to be on this floating ball of mud forever. And you can choose to be one of three ways. You can either do what you can to help people...do what you can to victimize people....or look away. I will never understand the last two. As they say, all it takes for evil to survive is for good men to do nothing. Thanks for what you guys do and what this website is representing.

Greg
Batmanusa

oops

Unread postby Batmanusa » September 29th, 2007, 3:50 am

My dumb..... INFLICT. LOL
Batmanusa

Re: Aha.....

Unread postby Carolyn » October 1st, 2007, 7:29 am

Batmanusa wrote:Like most things in life, I guess it boils down to the Benjamins.

What does that mean? :?
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Rodav » October 1st, 2007, 7:46 am

My guess is it refers to Benjamin Franklin on 100$ bills.
Rodav
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby ChrisRLG » October 1st, 2007, 8:18 am

ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Carolyn » October 1st, 2007, 9:29 am

Thank you Chris and Rodav. Guess its been a long time since I've seen a $100 bill. :)
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » October 1st, 2007, 11:08 am

Here you go Carolyn

Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Carolyn » October 1st, 2007, 11:18 am

Thank you Gary! Your poster has a permanent place on my wall. :)

(BM - you might want to reconsider poster decision! ;))
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby blackmirror » October 5th, 2007, 12:51 pm

But have you seen Rndom/Random ???? :D

Hes so cute :lol:
blackmirror

Unread postby Carolyn » October 5th, 2007, 2:38 pm

blackmirror wrote:But have you seen Rndom/Random ???? :D

Hes so cute :lol:

No argument there. But Gary has the Benjamins! ;)
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » October 5th, 2007, 3:37 pm

:headbang: Image :D :D
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next

Return to General Discussions