Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Problems setting up a Router

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Problems setting up a Router

Unread postby Orac » August 29th, 2007, 8:57 am

Been trying to set up a wireless router without much success, all ideas will be most appreciated.

The router in question is a NETGEAR DG834PN.

Ive followed the advice posted in this link but still cant get it working.

I started by using the setup cd, and got as far as connecting to the internet, at which stage a window pops up with my normal broadband connection but doesnt give me any options to establish a new connection thru the router.

Tried to configure it manually, but still no sucess.

typing ipconfig in a dos window gives me

Windows IP configuration

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix .:
IP Address...............................: 192.168.0.02
Subnet Mask............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway......................: 192.168.0.1

Using my normal ADSL modem i was able to connect to http://www.routerlogin.com/start.htm and enter my ISP connection details, BUT it also gave me the following message
The Setup Wizard was unable to detect the Internet connection
if i close my ADSL modem connection then iam unable to connect at all to the net.

I thought it may be a firewall permissons issue, so turned the firewall off as a test, but it didnt make any difference at all. the router still wont connect.

I set a system restore point before starting, and have now used it three times, once after the "Smart wizard" set up failed, and twice to set it up manually. but i must be missing something as i still cant get it to work.

So whilst the router appears to have the correct IP associated withit it wont connect to my ISP. Any ideas what to try next ?
Orac
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Axephilic » August 29th, 2007, 12:44 pm

I would recommend reading the manual, however.. your ipconfig looks kind of strange. Is 192.168.0.1 the IP of your modem or router? It should be your router's IP.
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Orac » August 29th, 2007, 1:38 pm

lol ive read the manual !!

192.168.0.1 is the LAN IP.

The problem is my server IP and client IPs arnt being accessed thru the router, its at that point the connection is failing, getting the router to talk to my ISP.

I keep getting a 678 error code, googling this shows its "something" to do with the connection to the ISP.

checking thru EVERYTHING for the nth time i think i can see whats happening, but cant find a way of fixing it.

As i see it, my PC is talking to the router, but the router isnt talking to the internet. My ADSL modem has the phone number "0" but trying to set up the connection using "network connections - new connection - Broadband" doesnt give you any options to add a phone number.

Looked at setting it up using "dial up" BUT that only gives me the option of using my ADSL or phone modem, i cant find anyway of adding the router to the list of devices, iam thinking if i could persuaded the router to dial "0" it would then connect to my ISP.
Orac
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Axephilic » August 29th, 2007, 1:57 pm

You should look for some settings in the router called PPPoE, Static IP, Dynamic IP, etc. Depending on your ISP, set the one that is right. You might have to call your ISP and find out. But if you don't know, I would recommend using Dynamic IP for now. Set the NAT on and Firewall on. They should not interfere with anything you do unless you do online gaming, etc and need to forward ports. For that refer to http://portforward.com/.

Hope this helps,
Adam
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Orac » August 29th, 2007, 2:03 pm

Ive got a dynamic IP and all the settings appear to be correct, the problem is i cant access the router settings thru the router, only if i swap over to the ADSL modem, and access the site that way, but then it tells me
The Setup Wizard was unable to detect the Internet connection

To put it another way when i can access that site thru the router the problem will i think be solved.
Orac
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Orac » August 29th, 2007, 2:45 pm

LAN connection details
Physical Address: 00-0E-A6-57-6A-8F
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

Looks to me that the Default gateway, DNS server ans WINS server ips are missing
Orac
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Axephilic » August 29th, 2007, 3:00 pm

Physical Address: 00-0E-A6-57-6A-8F
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

Where did you find that info? In the router or your computer?

What is the IP of your DSL modem and what is the IP of your router? I think that they might be the same. You probably can't change it in the modem so you will have to change the IP of the router if I am correct in my above statement. Let me know if I hit the nail on the head.. :)
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Scotty » August 29th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Orac, could you try this from the command line ipconfig /all and let us see the result?
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » August 29th, 2007, 11:10 pm

The first post shows that you were probably connected to the router with no problem. The IP, subnet mask and default gateway looked correct. Later on, the computer showed 192.168.0.1 as the computer's IP and that is not right. The computer needs to be set for DHCP and have the IP and DNS set to automatically obtain the info.

Once the CPU is getting the 192.168.0.2 IP or any other one that has the last number between 2 and 254, you can connect to the router. Putting 192.168.0.1 into your browser should bring up the login for the router. If you haven't changed this, check the manual to find out what it is. It's probably admin and no password.

Once in the router, you need to configure how it connects to the ISP. DSL has 2 major means, PPPoE and DHCP. PPPoE needs a username and password. Your old modem may have done this for you. So I suggest calling or searching their site to find out what you need. DHCP is probably the default.

Here is one support page for troubleshooting no Internet connection.

This shows the main page for the router. This is where you can see if the router is getting Ip, subnet mask and default gateway from your ISP Th IP here should be something that is NOT 192.168.x.x. If it is 169.254.x.x then the router couldn't talk to your ISP.

Anyways, this can get lengthy, so first set it up to connect to the router. Once you are set up that far, then you need to access the router to determine if it is getting an IP from your ISP. If you do not know what kind of connection your ISP uses, then I would call them 1st to find out.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » August 30th, 2007, 2:57 am

Image Linky

If you are using both the modem and router, the modem has to connect to the ADSL port provided by the router, not the LAN port. Then you connect the LAN port of the router to the LAN port of the modem in order to establish a connection. After that, type in this IP address (192.168.0.1) to start configuring your router. I don't use a Netgear, so I'm not so sure.

If you are just using the router, you need to double check the PPPoE/PPPoA settings. Some ADSL connections are still using PPPoA, which can result in a no-connection. This happened to me, after changing the settings, I can surf the Net with no problems.

And double check that all the required LED lights are up. If there's no LED light, it indicates a problem. See which LED light doesn't light up, check the manual for troubleshooting. Or if you prefer, reset the whole router and start all over again and write down the steps you did. It will be useful for troubleshooting. :)

Don't ever use Easy Setup. It's never easy to begin with.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions