Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

help my pc is really ill

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby beynac » March 19th, 2007, 5:58 am

Good morning.

Your HijackThis log is clean. :D

i meant to ask can i put or should i put the teatimer thing back on

I've got a bit of an issue with TeaTimer at the moment. One of the people I was helping on another forum was having trouble getting rid of some 'orphan' entries that appeared in their HijackThis log. We would fix them and they would come straight back. I finally narrowed this down to TeaTimer. When you reactivate it, it will ask you to allow or deny any of the changes that have been made to the registry while it was switched off. If you deny them, the bad entries will be re-instated. If you allow the changes, it seems to replace some of the registry 'keys' but doesn't add the value. These entries are not, in themselves, harmful but are untidy and could trigger alarms from anti-malware programs. In the case I refer to, TeaTimer re-instated the registry key and then Spybot alerted the user that he was infected!

I haven't had the chance to check this out yet but, in the meantime, I will not recommend that people use Spybot's TeaTimer. The decision is yours but, if you do switch it back on, make sure that you allow the registry changes when prompted. When I tested this on my own computer, I couldn't see the text on the buttons in Spybot's dialog box. If you get the same thing, the 'allow' button is on the left-hand side.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In an earlier post, I wrote:
I cannot see any sign that you are using a firewall. Are you using Windows XP Firewall? If not, I suggest that you switch it on immediately. I will make some recommendations later.

Windows XP Firewall is better than nothing, but it only protects against incoming traffic. It doesn't protect you against outgoing baddies trying to "phone home". I strongly suggest that you use one of the third-party ones. Sunbelt Kerio and Zone Alarm are both good and have a free version. I cannot stress how important it is that you use a firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can greatly lower your risk.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You can delete the following:
  • Blacklight and its report(s)
  • BFU (delete the folder - c:\BFU)
  • SmitFraudFix and its report (c:\rapport.txt)
  • This SmitFraudFix file - C:\WINDOWS\system32\process.exe <- file only
I suggest that you keep ATF Cleaner and AVG Anti-Spyware (AVG-AS) as they are useful programs. Please note that you do not have to run AVG-AS in safe mode for routine scans. We do this as it makes it less likely that there will be a problem removing 'bad' files.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hide System Files

For safety's sake, we need to re-hide your system files.
  • Click Start
  • Open My Computer
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
  • Select the View tab
  • Advanced Settings:
    • Under Hidden files and folders, select Do not show hidden files and folders
    • Select Hide extensions for known file types
    • Select Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Click Apply to All Folders
  • Click Yes
  • Click OK
---------------------------------------------------------

Flush System Restore

Now that your computer is clean, it would be a good idea to 'flush' the system restore points.

Turn OFF System Restore.
  • Click on Start
  • Right-click My Computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click the System Restore tab
  • Check Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply, and then click OK
Restart your computer

Turn ON System Restore.
  • Click on Start
  • Right-click My Computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click the System Restore tab
  • Uncheck Turn off System Restore
  • Click Apply, and then click OK
This will create a new, clean restore point.

-------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know if you have any questions.
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby FAZ » March 20th, 2007, 5:58 am

hi baynac

many thanks for your help the pc seems to be working better than its ever done , i have got a few questions regarding some of the antivirus & adware programs i have on here

ive got a lot of programs an a friend of mine said they could be interfeering with eachother , so in your oppinion what should i keep an what should i get rid of out of this lot

xp smoker

Spybot - Search & Destroy

Registry Repair

Windows Defender

Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal

a-squared Free

avast antivirus

avg antispyware

ive also installed sunbelt kerio personal firewall

an i have avg antivirus pro to install today if you think it would be worth while , but another friend has recommended that i get something called nod32 so id like your oppinion on this to please

thanks again , ill be recomending this forom to everyone i know
FAZ

Unread postby FAZ » March 20th, 2007, 6:12 am

hi again , sorry Beynac spelt your name wrong in my last thread

ive noticed another problem an wondered if it might be something to do with the things ive deleted , its not letting me log into my home page it let me on for about 30 mins yesterday an about the same today

http://shreksmobiles.co.uk/forum

all im getting is ::

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

ive tried lots of other pages an its letting me on everything else also ive spoke to a few friends an they are getting on there fine
FAZ

Unread postby beynac » March 20th, 2007, 8:19 am

Good morning FAZ.

Let me answer your last question first! I can't see any reason why you can't get into http://shreksmobiles.co.uk/forum. It looks as if SmitFraudFix may have reset your homepage, but this shouldn't prevent you from opening it now. I can't understand how it would let you in for thirty minutes only. This sounds like a problem with the site itself - I would expect it to be 'all or nothing' if the problem was at your end. I suggest that you run ATF Cleaner to clear all cookies and the cache. I'll repeat the instructions for clarity:

ATF Cleaner
  • Make sure that all browser windows are closed
  • Double-click the shortcut on your desktop to run the program.
  • Under Main, choose Select All
  • Untick Prefetch
  • Click Empty Selected
  • If you use Firefox browser,
    • Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All
    • Click on Empty Selected
    • NOTE: If you would like to keep any saved passwords, please untick that option.
  • Click Exit to close.
  • If you use Opera browser,
    • Click Opera at the top and choose Select All
    • Click on Empty Selected
    • NOTE: If you would like to keep any saved passwords, please untick that option.
  • Click Exit to close.
Reboot your computer.

Please let me know if you still have problems.

------------------------------------------------------

Your list of programs

Spybot - Search & Destroy: As previously discussed, this is a very useful program. Provided that you do not re-activate TeaTimer, it does not run in real-time and should not, therefore interfere with any other program (apart from malware!).

Windows Defender: This is another useful program which should not clash with any of your other security programs. Make sure that you keep it updated.

a-squared Free: This is an on-demand scanner and therefore shouldn't interfere with anything else.

AVG Anti-Spyware: The free version (i.e. without Resident Shield) is also an on-demand scanner. I recommend this program (as you know). It is probably not necessary to have both this and a-squared. It really depend on how many applications you want to keep updated and run scans with. However, it would do no harm to use both.

XP Smoker: I have no experience of this program and therefore can't comment on how effective it is. I don't think that it should interfere with any of the security programs. As with all of these type of programs, you have to be careful what you 'tweak'! ;)

Registry Repair: See my comments about XP Smoker. Always backup the registry before making any changes. I suggest that you have a look at what this program and XP Smoker provide. It's your decision whether you keep them (one, none, or both!)

Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal: Yet another 'performance-enhancing' program. I feel that the anti-spyware and anti-adware features will be better handled by AVG Anti-Spyware and Spybot. You already have two other programs that you can use to tweak for performance. I would suggest that this is over-kill. I would recommend that you uninstall it.

Avast Antivirus: If you are going to install either AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition or NOD32, you must uninstall Avast first. It is very important that you only have one real-time antivirus program and one firewall running. More than one of either will cause problems with the computer and provide less protection, not more.

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall: An excellent choice. This is the one I use. Please note my comment about running more than one firewall.

AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition: I have no personal experience of this product, but my wife has the free version which appears to be very good. I use NOD32, which has a excellent reputation and is regularly rated as one of the top antivirus programs. Given the choice, I would opt for NOD32 (well, I did!). Another very highly rated one is Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Any of these three programs would provide good protection. If you decide to use one that includes a firewall (i.e. a Security Suite), you will need to uninstall the Sunbelt Kerio one.

I hope that this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » March 23rd, 2007, 9:11 am