Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

spy sheriff

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

spy sheriff

Unread postby dontjointhearmy » February 9th, 2007, 8:58 pm

so this little guy was on my computer this morning when i woke up. i dunno if youve seen it b4 but theres a warning at the bottom of the screen and it tells you that youve been infected and windows is installing the most up to date programs to fix the problem. and i had a new icon on my desktop that wasnt there before. im not very computer savy but this just seemed very odd to me that windows would install something without asking me. so first things first i used norton uninstall to remove the program (so i thought). but then i still had that damn warning popping up every 5 minutes. so i spent the rest of the day downloading and running the latest versions of my computer protection. AVG, norton systemworks and ad aware se personal. so i finally got rid of that pop up warning, but i decided to search for spy sheriff on download.com to find out what was. ok im rambling ill speed this up. i couldnt find it on download.com so i started searching for it elsewere and found out it was the virus! (boy am i stupid, or maybe just slow) so somone on myspace directed me to this fine site. whew! ok thanks for listening to me ramble. i just wanted you to know what ive already done. and how do i find out if its gone completely or what else i need to do. thanks much.
dontjointhearmy

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Navigator » February 9th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Hello dontjointhearmy....welcome to Malware Removal!

Please do this:

Please do this:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe.
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again. Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on Edit>Select All; then click on Edit>Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Navigator
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dontjointhearmy » February 10th, 2007, 5:38 am

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:36:26 AM, on 2/10/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2, v.2096 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2096)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brss01a.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\SmartUI\SmartUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\paltalk.exe
C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger Interop\interop.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://msn.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\MSN Toolbar\01.02.5000.1021\en-us\msntb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: iWon Co-Pilot BHO - {C298FB42-E3E2-11D3-ADCD-0050DAC24E8F} - C:\Program Files\iWon\iWonBar\1.bin\IWONBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: My &Web Search - {07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\MSN Toolbar\01.02.5000.1021\en-us\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: i&Won Co-Pilot - {CA0B9B71-C2AF-11D3-B376-0800460222F0} - C:\Program Files\iWon\iWonBar\1.bin\IWONBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl03a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pure Networks Port Magic] "C:\PROGRA~1\PURENE~1\PORTMA~1\PortAOL.exe" -Run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1157119615\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MyWebSearch Email Plugin.lnk = C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOEMON.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: PalStart.lnk = C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\palstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SmartUI.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=ZNxdm483
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: PalTalk - {4EAFEF58-EEFA-4116-983D-03B49BCBFFFE} - C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\Paltalk.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/fu ... .0.0.8.cab
O16 - DPF: {70522FA2-4656-11D5-B0E9-0050DAC24E8F} - http://cc.iwon.com/ct/pm3/iwonpm_12_1,0,2,5.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
dontjointhearmy

Unread postby dontjointhearmy » February 10th, 2007, 5:41 am

hey ive got a question. what does spy sheriff actually do? like what may it already have done, and what could it have done if i had ran the program, and what if i had just left it alone?
dontjointhearmy

Unread postby Navigator » February 10th, 2007, 11:00 am

dontjointhearmy wrote:hey ive got a question. what does spy sheriff actually do? like what may it already have done, and what could it have done if i had ran the program, and what if i had just left it alone?

I do not see the usual spysheriff/smitfraud components in your HJT log, the security programs you ran may have gotten rid of it? Spysheriff information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pest_Trap and here: http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Remo ... xe_Removal

Let's check a smitfraudfix log to see what it finds along with an uninstall list...then go from there:

1. Please download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your Desktop.

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

**If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move SmitfraudFix.exe directly to the root of the system drive (usually C:), and launch from there.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

2. Open HijackThis, click Open Misc Tools
Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

3. Post back with the Smitfraud log and the HJT uninstall list...
Navigator
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dontjointhearmy » February 10th, 2007, 11:28 am

SmitFraudFix v2.141

Scan done at 9:26:14.76, Sat 02/10/2007
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in normal mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» hosts

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\Web

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Application Data

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Start Menu

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\DOCUME~1\Thomas\FAVORI~1

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Program Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Corrupted keys

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Sharedtaskscheduler
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» AppInit_DLLs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» pe386-msguard-lzx32-huy32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Scanning wininet.dll infection

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End
dontjointhearmy

Unread postby dontjointhearmy » February 10th, 2007, 11:30 am

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Adobe Download Manager 2.0 (Remove Only)
Adobe Reader 7.0.8
Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
AOL Uninstaller
AVG Free Edition
Brother MFL-Pro Suite
Camera Driver
Co-Pilot - iWon
HighMAT Extension to Microsoft Windows XP CD Writing Wizard
Hijackthis 1.99.1
HijackThis 1.99.1
iWon Prize Machine
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Learn2 Player (Uninstall Only)
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 3.0 (Symantec Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft Learning and Research Plus Support Files
Microsoft Picture It! Express 7.0
Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer
MSN Messenger 6.2
Nero - Burning Rom (Demo installer)
Norton SystemWorks 2003
Norton WMI Update
Paltalk Messenger
Paltalk Messenger Interop
PaperPort 8.0 SE
PowerDVD
Pure Networks Port Magic
QuickTime
RealPlayer Basic
Shockwave
SiS Audio Driver
Viewpoint Manager (Remove Only)
Viewpoint Media Player
WeatherBug
Windows XP Hotfix - KB838904
Windows XP Hotfix - KB838907
Windows XP Hotfix - KB838909
WinRAR archiver
dontjointhearmy

Unread postby Navigator » February 10th, 2007, 2:44 pm

OK...the Smitfraud log is clean....you do have a lot of adware and potential spyware programs on your computer which we will remove below. These include iWon, Viewpoint, Paltalk and Weatherbug. If you have any questions about removing any of these programs, let me know before corrying out the instructinos below. I also want to know if you want to keep the MyWebSearch components installed on your computer...most reputable malware sites list these as optional for removal, in that they are not necessarily 'bad' but are often installed without your acknowledgement. In your case I would wager that it was installed with the 'SmileyCentral' program.
Please see here: http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/insta ... es-banner/

Your Java version is also out of date which is a security issue, and we'll fix that below too.

Let's do this:

1. First download AVG anti-spyware (previously Ewido) from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
This is a 30 day trial of the program
  • Once you have downloaded AVG anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete you will need run ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
    • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close AVG anti-spyware, Do Not run a scan just yet, we will shortly.

2. Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

Save it to your desktop, we will use it later.

3. Please re-open HiJackThis and choose scan only. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O2 - BHO: iWon Co-Pilot BHO - {C298FB42-E3E2-11D3-ADCD-0050DAC24E8F} - C:\Program Files\iWon\iWonBar\1.bin\IWONBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: i&Won Co-Pilot - {CA0B9B71-C2AF-11D3-B376-0800460222F0} - C:\Program Files\iWon\iWonBar\1.bin\IWONBAR.DLL
O4 - Global Startup: PalStart.lnk = C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\palstart.exe
O9 - Extra button: PalTalk - {4EAFEF58-EEFA-4116-983D-03B49BCBFFFE} - C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger\Paltalk.exe
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/fu ... .0.0.8.cab
O16 - DPF: {70522FA2-4656-11D5-B0E9-0050DAC24E8F} - http://cc.iwon.com/ct/pm3/iwonpm_12_1,0,2,5.cab
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.

4. Reboot into safe mode by restarting your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

5. Please remove these entries from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel(if present). Click start>>control panel>>add/remove programs:

Co-Pilot - iWon
iWon Prize Machine
Paltalk Messenger
Paltalk Messenger Interop
Viewpoint Manager (Remove Only)
Viewpoint Media Player
WeatherBug

6. Please delete these folders using Windows Explorer(if present):
  • Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>Windows Explorer
  • Navigate to the listed folders, then right-click to select them and click delete

C:\Program Files\iWon
C:\Program Files\Paltalk Messenger
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint

7. Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
    Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
    Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

8. IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG Anti-Spyware is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
  • Lauch AVG-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
  • ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system (make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important).
  • Close AVG and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.

9. Update Java and Remove old Java Versions
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.<== scroll down the list to find THIS entry
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
Remove older Java Versions:
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start >> Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
Install latest Java Version:
  • From your desktop, double-click on jre-6-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.

10. Post the results of the AVG report scan along with a new HJT log for me to review.
Navigator
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby dontjointhearmy » February 10th, 2007, 5:07 pm

would you recommend that i remove all of those? i think my dad put the weather bug thing on there and i put the paltalk on there, but i dont use it anymore. i d/l it bc my aim took a crap on me. probably bc of the spysheriff bc aim works fine. so i dont really need paltalk anymore. are any of those programs bad for my computer?
dontjointhearmy

Unread postby Navigator » February 10th, 2007, 6:46 pm

dontjointhearmy wrote:would you recommend that i remove all of those? i think my dad put the weather bug thing on there and i put the paltalk on there, but i dont use it anymore. i d/l it bc my aim took a crap on me. probably bc of the spysheriff bc aim works fine. so i dont really need paltalk anymore. are any of those programs bad for my computer?

I'll give you some information, then you let me know what you want/do not want:

Paltalk:

Recognized as bad by BleepingComputer and others:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninsta ... lTalk.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninsta ... terop.html

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/th ... eatid=9494

Viewpoint:

While this was previously considered foistware rather than malware per se (i.e. it installed without user approval but did not 'spy' or do anything 'bad'), this has changed:

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3561546

WeatherBug:

This one is a toss-up, with some coming down on the side of it being 'adware' (unless it is the paid version) and some saying it's OK.

http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherBug

I recommend removing it, but the choice is obviously yours....there are other adware-free versions of weather programs that are quite good. The one I use is Weather Pulse

MwWebSearch:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninsta ... earch.html

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/th ... atid=14137

iWon:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninsta ... -iWon.html

None of these programs are what would probably be considered 'serious' security risks, but they can be troublesome in and of themselves and for the other stuff some of them invite along.

Let me know which of these programs, if any, you want to keep and then I'll re-do the above 'fix' to leave them on your system...but my recommendation would be for you to remove them all.
Navigator
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » March 22nd, 2007, 12:53 pm

Due to inactivity, this topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email to

'admin at malwareremoval.com' with a link to your thread.

You can help support this site from this link :
Donations For Malware Removal

Please do not contact us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic

is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread

linked, the email will be deleted.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!