Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Re: cannot delete a folder

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: cannot delete a folder

Unread postby Matthew » January 30th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Hello.

Although not necessarily a Malware issues, after creating a folder on the C drive in My documents where I wanted to put restored files/folders using the windows backup utility (which was not successful). I cannot now delete the folder from my system. I tried using safe mode but did not work.

Can you help with this?
Matthew

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Trogan » January 31st, 2007, 5:55 pm

Do you get an error when you try to delete the folder? Can you tell me what it is please.
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Matthew » February 1st, 2007, 12:30 am

Yes, the error message says: cannot delete folder: access is denied. Please make sure the disk is not write-protected, full or in use.
Matthew

Unread postby Trogan » February 1st, 2007, 8:45 am

Hi Matthew!

Download Unlocker and install it to your computer.
  • Navigate to Folder/File of interest
  • Right click on it and from the right click menu click on Unlocker.
  • A Window will appear. Note the Process and Process path which is displayed.
  • Send me that information please.
  • Do not attempt to use Unlocker to unlock the file.
  • Exit out of Unlocker.
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Matthew » February 1st, 2007, 4:08 pm

Hello Trogan_1000!

Thank you for your assistance. I was running a virus scan using Kaspersky and noted that the report found all my backups files in this folder and stated the objects were not scanned because they were locked.

I did as instructed and the message was that no locking handle was found. But that Unlocker can still help with the object and provides a list of options...delete, rename or move. I suspect there was some problem in the restoration of my backup files to this folder using the windows backup wizard...do you know if I could just restore the files to their original location (from on old computer to a new one) rather than to an alternate or single folder which I did in this case and had the problem.

Thanks again.
Matthew

Unread postby Trogan » February 1st, 2007, 6:25 pm

You could try restoring the files and see if it works.

Do you want to restore the files instead of deleting the folder?
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Matthew » February 1st, 2007, 11:31 pm

Hi.

I would prefer to have access to the folder and restore the files as a first option otherwise if I delete the folder now I am just going to have to re-do the restore...which maybe the easiest option. Can I delete the folder using unlocker then?

Do you have any suggestions on restoring file options from one computer to another...I am not restoring system state data, only files....the options I am writing about are: restore to original location, alternate location or single folder.

Many thanks.
Matthew

Unread postby Trogan » February 2nd, 2007, 3:30 pm

Hi Matthew

You can use Unlocker to delete the folder, yes.

Can't you copy the files to a CD or USB and transfer them?
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Matthew » February 2nd, 2007, 4:46 pm

Hello.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous posts...I have backed up most of my files from an old computer I no longer use onto a USB flash memory drive..I used the Windows backup utility to do this and then tried to restore those files to my new computer and that's when the problem with the folder occurred because when selecting restore options via the backup utility I chose restore to an alternate location...I did this and then could not access the folder and hence the original post. I have not tried to restore thoses files since the first problem arose....and my question was should I change the restore option to original location (which would have referred to another computer and not the one that I am restoring to).
Matthew

Unread postby Matthew » February 2nd, 2007, 4:54 pm

I just tried deleting the folder with Unlocker...pop up said could not delete file, would you like to delete on next reboot?
Matthew

Unread postby Trogan » February 2nd, 2007, 10:47 pm

Matthew wrote:Hello.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous posts...I have backed up most of my files from an old computer I no longer use onto a USB flash memory drive..I used the Windows backup utility to do this and then tried to restore those files to my new computer and that's when the problem with the folder occurred because when selecting restore options via the backup utility I chose restore to an alternate location...I did this and then could not access the folder and hence the original post. I have not tried to restore thoses files since the first problem arose....and my question was should I change the restore option to original location (which would have referred to another computer and not the one that I am restoring to).

I've never used Windows backup utility so I'm not sure if restoring the files to the original location will work. You give give it a try.

Matthew wrote:I just tried deleting the folder with Unlocker...pop up said could not delete file, would you like to delete on next reboot?

Try 'Delete on next reboot'.

Let me know what happens.
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Matthew » February 4th, 2007, 5:12 am

Hello again.

I selected delete on reboot using unlockoer but the folder is still there after reboot. I think I will try to restore some of these files to a CD to see what happens. Any advice you have on how I can take control of this folder??

Thank you.
Matthew

Unread postby Trogan » February 5th, 2007, 4:37 am

I'll see what I can find out for you.
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Trogan » February 5th, 2007, 8:14 am

Follow the instructions in the link below if you have Windows XP...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;308421
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Matthew » February 5th, 2007, 11:28 am

Trogan_1000,

After trying to resolve this for over a week, the MS article you sent did the trick! Not only do I have access to the folder but all my backup files are there too...wonderful! I was really beginning to get worried because I did not have another backup of these files.

I really appreciate your help with this given that it was not a malware issue...hats off to you!

Matthew
Matthew

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next